Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1652 Colonial Coinage - Shilling, 3 and 6 Pence - Reference Book(s)?

Howdy all,

Can someone recommend a reference book with detailed information for 1652 dated colonial coinage?

Thanks in advance

Edited to add: Any other historical information on where these were made, by whom, etc.?

Comments

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    You could start here.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Thanks John, that's a great start
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    This is probably a good choice: The Silver Coins of Massachusetts

You might also ask these guys: Colonial Coin Collectors Club

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    Hi STONE,

ANS studies on NEs, Willow and Pine trees by Sydney Noe (see Charlie Davis), Salmon on Mass Silver (the ANS), Ford XII (its around maybe Fred Lake), Haynes Mass Silver (a few years before Ford, try Bryce Brown) but good and available, The Stearns Sale by Mayflower. They are around, I have a few dupes if you really cant find one (e-mail me privately), Wurtzbach Plates (About $700 minimum, each Kolbe&Fanning Sales seems to have one. And finally Crosby and Breen, There are also Lou Jordan's "Massachusetts Mint) (sp) from C-4 and and the historic work on John Hull and the Hudson Bay Colony available through Stacks (sp. and exact title again).

That will keep you busy for a while.

Best,

nova caesarea
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Stone: <<Any other historical information on where these were made, by whom, etc.? >>

I cover much material about NE type MA Silver in my current article, which would take much less time to read than some of the sources cited in this thead.

DaveG: <<This is probably a good choice: The Silver Coins of Massachusetts>>

Yes, Chris Salmon's book is recommended. Also, Dr. Salmon helped me prepare my current article and remarks my conversations with him are cited.

novacaesarea: <<.. Lou Jordan's ...>>

A large portion of Louis Jordan's research regarding John Hull and the mint in colonial MA has been published on the University of Notre Dame website. Indeed, one page alone about John Hull has more than 90,000 words. Jordan deserves a great deal of praise for making a wealth of information about colonial coins, including some of his own original research, available for free via the Internet.

The First Coins Struck in The Original Thirteen Colonies: Massachusetts (‘NE’) Silver of 1652

The Fabulous Eric P. Newman Collection, part 11: Auction Results for pre-1793 coins, patterns and tokens

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Aw, man! This thread is getting my colonial itch started again!
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Some really good advice here.

If you only want 1 book though, Chris Salmon's book is the way to go.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file