Home U.S. Coin Forum

Early ANA / ANACS slabs

Hello, everyone.

First, just a not of thanks to PCGS and the Collector's Universe for making this forum available. I have found it tremendously helpful in the past and have learned a great deal from its many knowledgeable contributors.

I am considering converting over a number of ANACS slabs to PCGS and am wondering if this is a wise move. The coins are part of my collection and I have no intention of selling at this point, but the reality is that I am increasing concerned about marketability in the event that this is the wish of my heirs. I am wondering if there is any general thought out there as to how ANACS slabs would measure up by today's standards, and if it is worth $25 (I think) per coin to have them recertified by PCGS (and risk a lower grade...or worse). These coins were all handpicked by me during my collecting fervor and many have been in my collection as raw pieces for many years before I had them certified. (I have no idea how long ago it was when I had sent these pieces off.) Any thoughts that the readers of this post could share would be very much appreciated. What I fear is that I might experience another less than glowing experience with these coins like my unfortunate SEGS conversions to PCGS experience. My faith clearly lies with PCGS!!

Another question...I have a few coins that I sent to PCGS several years ago that came back in "body bags" with a blue label inside the flip. Several were cleaned. I have the blue labels but am I correct in assuming that it would be an additional $25 if I wanted these coins encapsulated...or would PCGS offer that service at a lower rate if I submit the label with the coins? (I am assuming that complete recertification would be required but I just thought I would ask...just in case.) Here are obverse and reverse photos of 4 ANACS pieces. I have about 8 more but will have to go back to the bank...if anyone would like to see additional photos. Also, Image Shack has a new format of which I am unfamiliar. I hope I downloaded appropriate sizes for inclusion here.

Many thanks!!! Alan in Massachusetts MusicAl Please see my "oh oh" posts below.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/856/jn5g.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/853/wtbu.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/849/dr5v.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/839/a6ud.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/41/9p8e.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/10/5ncv.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/401/sewd.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/202/0jwc.jpg

Comments

• Hello, Fade to Black.

Obviously I did something wrong in my attempt at posting pictures. Thank you for making them "magically appear". They are "kind of" small so I think I will try again. My apologies for not knowing how to navigate this in the new Image shack format!

MusicAl
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    I love the early Anacs/ANA slabs and seek them out. I see no reason for you to reholder them now, based on your post. Those that would cross to PCGS now, should cross 5 or 10 years from now.
  • Well. did it again.

I tried "medium" but only the URL appears (again). It's back to the drawing board. Any suggestions...please??

Many thanks...and thanks for your patience with me!! MusicAl
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    When you want to link to a photo, click the icon above the text box where you enter your post that looks like a small picture in a frame. A dialog box will pop up - paste the URL in to that dialog box and click OK.

Or, enter the URL directly in the text box where you enter your post, then put [ IMG] before the URL, and put [/ IMG] after the URL - and remove the spaces I put in the brackets.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Hello MGLICKER and FadeToBlack.

Thanks for the prompt replies. Very much appreciated. May I ask what appeals regarding the small ANACS slabs? Is there a reasonable market for them and will Ebay accept them in the Listing Title as they do PCGS and NGC? As I said in my first (messed up) post, I love these coins and have no intention of parting with them just now. However, at age 63 with some health issues, I'm just being practical and I want my son to get the best return when he inherits my collection (hopefully in about 50 years!!)

FadeToBlack, years ago I used Photobucket and was told that Image Shack was easier. Hmmmm....it wasn't too easy for this old geezer today. Maybe I'll just check out Photobucket again.

Thank you both, gentlemen.

Alan in MA MusicAl

• Sunday January 19, 2014 4:38 PM

Hello, everyone.

First, just a not of thanks to PCGS and the Collector's Universe for making this forum available. I have found it tremendously helpful in the past and have learned a great deal from its many knowledgeable contributors.

I am considering converting over a number of ANACS slabs to PCGS and am wondering if this is a wise move. The coins are part of my collection and I have no intention of selling at this point, but the reality is that I am increasing concerned about marketability in the event that this is the wish of my heirs. I am wondering if there is any general thought out there as to how ANACS slabs would measure up by today's standards, and if it is worth $25 (I think) per coin to have them recertified by PCGS (and risk a lower grade...or worse). These coins were all handpicked by me during my collecting fervor and many have been in my collection as raw pieces for many years before I had them certified. (I have no idea how long ago it was when I had sent these pieces off.) Any thoughts that the readers of this post could share would be very much appreciated. What I fear is that I might experience another less than glowing experience with these coins like my unfortunate SEGS conversions to PCGS experience. My faith clearly lies with PCGS!!

Another question...I have a few coins that I sent to PCGS several years ago that came back in "body bags" with a blue label inside the flip. Several were cleaned. I have the blue labels but am I correct in assuming that it would be an additional $25 if I wanted these coins encapsulated...or would PCGS offer that service at a lower rate if I submit the label with the coins? (I am assuming that complete recertification would be required but I just thought I would ask...just in case.) Here are obverse and reverse photos of 4 ANACS pieces. I have about 8 more but will have to go back to the bank...if anyone would like to see additional photos. Also, Image Shack has a new format of which I am unfamiliar. I hope I downloaded appropriate sizes for inclusion here.

Many thanks!!! Alan in Massachusetts MusicAl Please see my "oh oh" posts below.

image[
    IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/10/5ncv.jpg[/IMG]
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i> May I ask what appeals regarding the small ANACS slabs? Is there a reasonable market for them and will Ebay accept them in the Listing Title as they do PCGS and NGC? >>

I like the small size of the economical early holders. They can be listed on Ebay (I just put one up this morning).

The market is reasonable, but expect a discount of perhaps 15% to 50% depending on series and grade.

I would leave a few contact names of reputable dealers with my heirs and trust them to assist in a equitable distribution.

• Hello, Kranky.

Thank you for your suggestions. I tried to use the "little picture in a frame" and entered 8 photo URL's, one at a time, and I had success with the first 2 photos. The other 6 are in limbo somewhere. Oh well...small steps. In my next life...maybe I'll get a brain???

Alan MusicAl
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep 'em in the small ANACS holders. image
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Please ignore that last post, Kranky. I found if ya' push that little "right arrow" the rest of the coins appear. Poof...it's MAGIC! Should I post more maybe tomorrow if I can get to the bank?

What a great bunch of guys you all are!!! Thanks. Oh, I'm sorry for the triplicate posts!!! Slow learner.

MGLIKER, Heritage Rare Coin Galleries will get my collection for consignment (unless I decide to take it with me to the far yonder when I "pass"). I was a part time remote cataloger for them several years past, loved the work and they treated me well. Wish I could do THAT again...retired now from school teaching ...kidney transplant did THAT for me.

All the best!!

Alan MusicAl
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Keep 'em in the small ANACS holders. image >>

Enjoy them as they are. If Heritage is in their future, they will guide your heir in whether to reslab and can send them in on his/her behalf. Don't sweat this now and enjoy them in these easy to hold slabs!
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the old Anacs holders as well. If they were mine I'd leave them alone.
    Nice coins by the way.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love the early Anacs/ANA slabs and seek them out. I see no reason for you to reholder them now, based on your post. Those that would cross to PCGS now, should cross 5 or 10 years from now. >>

Totally agree. I always liked the small ANACS slabs.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it were me I would keep em where they lie. Why? It's been in the same state for decades and it represents the early days of slabbing. I'm a sucker for Ol' ANA and Fatty slabs, JMO.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    For a guy who believes in buying the coin and not the holder, I have a very large proportion of small ANACS slabs and rattlers.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Real nice Lafayette dollar there, morgansforever. I'm quite envious!!

I am pleased to read of so many fans of the old ANACS small slabs. I will hope for more replies and opinions but the consensus clearly is to keep my coins in the ANACS holders. Your opinions are very much appreciated and , may well save me a few hundred $ that I really don't want to spend just now.

Morgansforever..."fatty slabs" is a term I don't think I have heard for many years. Do I recall correctly that it refers to earlier NGC slabs...but aren't the newer ones STILL fatties? As you can tell...I have been out of the loop for a while...but I find this discussion MOST interesting and enjoyable. Guess I'll have to hit the bank again and compare some early NGC with a very few more recent ones I have (maybe 3 years old).

Thanks to all. Alan
  • Ah yes..."rattler"...another term that has almost fallen off of my radar. The earliest PCGS slabs, I believe...not sure I have any of those...but I do have a good number of "green labels". Which brings up another question. PLEASE excuse the diversion.

I have oft been confused as to why green labels have a premium over the light blue ones...(and I believe there are various shades of light blue too???) What I have read is that the "standards were more strict" in grading in the green, earlier days of PCGS than they are currently. I don't know if that is true but if so, I find it troubling. So, were the standards for green labels too strict, or too loose for the blue? Why has there been a change in standards in the first place? I believe PCGS has a type set with examples of each grade (does NGC?). Of course there are SO many variables between individual coins and how they should be graded...but...is a coin in a green holder graded VF 20, for example, better than the same coin in a blue label? How would both coins compare to the PCGS type set used as the standard for each grade??? I just don't get it...but it seems to be pretty much accepted as "the way it is". If I resume my U.S. type set (saving for my grandson's college education now...he's almost 3 and we need to get going!!!) I guess I will hunt for green labels but how much of a premium should I pay? It's all a but foggy to me...in a perfect world, the standards would be the standards...no matter WHAT color the label. What happened??

Last month I posted photos of a 20 cent piece my neighbor's grandson purchased...in a blue PCGS slab. (I am currently his mentor for his senior graduation project and also responsible for his love of coins and collecting.) It was graded VF 20 I believe, but it was clearly a split grade...probably F 15 or so obverse, and maybe XF 40 reverse. I received many terrific replies to the accuracy of the grade and it was pretty much determined that the VF 20 was accurate because it MAY have been struck through grease or other substance or WAS, in fact, given the VF 20 because it was a split grade. In my 30's maybe, when I was aggressively building my U.S. type set, the rule was that a coin grades as the lowest grade if it was a split. Does anyone remember that or am I wrong? So, with the ANA grading book essentially memorized, I followed that rule to the letter when searching for my type coins. It was a bit of a challenge with early U.S. type, but I DID stick to it. This is before certification was in my radar and happily, most of the coins I sent in for certification years later did pretty well. (Except SEGS which I switched over to PCGS...how do you spell fiasco???)

Anyway...I ramble and apologize for the "tangent". Thank you all for your posts and sharing of your knowledge. Clearly I need to be brought up to date. I look forward to being educated...and this is the best place I'm sure.

Many thanks. Alan
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This October 2013 thread could be helpful to answer your OGH questions.
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't spend money on reholdering them now. Who knows what the future will bring in the way of slab changes. The attack on the market by the makers of counterfeit items will continue and the slab companies will have to continue efforts to stay ahead of the crooks.

Don't reholder them until you are actually ready to sell.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was under the impression O'l Fatty was a common household name. Sometimes they contain nice undergaded piece and some produce subtle attractive toning.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ANACS mini-slabs that tend to be conservatively graded are the ones from the 1989-1991 era....or the ones with the gold foil hologram reverse (no bar codes either as I recall). Those will for the most part grade
    the same or higher than today's TPG coins. I've had very good luck with those....often selling for strong premiums while remaining in those orig holders. The later ones with the black logo reverse are a different story.
    I rarely run into those that impress me as really solid for the grade or undergrades. But the ones from the early 1990's could have potential. The ones from around 1995-2008 aren't anything special imo. In fact, many
    dealers and buyers consider those to be "raw" coins and it's not very often they will pay for the labeled grade. The gold foil coins have great liquidity and demand as long as they are obviously decent. The later ones are nowhere
    near in that same league. If I had decent black logo'd coins I'd get them crossed now. In my mind it's actually easier to cross nice ANACS coins than it is nice NGC coins. The gold foil holders I would leave alone until the day
    comes where you want to sell everything. Non-PCGS and non-NGC coins have little standing in today's market and have to stand on their own merits as if they were raw. Your local shops will sell these for all the money. But
    I've yet run into any of them that would pay all the money unless the coins were wonderful and very high end for the grade assigned.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • bob48bob48 Posts: 449 ✭✭✭
    Very well done on all of this info.
    I am a fan of Rattlers and ANACS small white holders, So leave them in there current state.
    Bob

• To all the great "guys" who responded to my original post on this topic, a big THANKS!!! Not only did I get a great education on the subject, I got to see some terrific pictures of other's coins and you all saved me a few $100 dollars to boot. I have decided to leave the coins that are in ANACS slabs exactly as they are. I mean...it's the coin I love...not the holder. I also learned (though I need more practice) to post photos on this site and though I am not quite sure as to the size to select, my pictures appeared!! I have maybe 10 more ANACS pieces that I would like to post but didn't get to the bank today...and of course it was closed yesterday, but I WILL post them at some point if anyone would like to see them and cast opinions of grading accuracy. Anyway, as I said above, THANKS!! You all are a great bunch!!

Alan MusicAL
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actively collect the little white slabs.

• mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I too would suggest the 1797 dollar should be cracked out, and resubmitted. There is more than enough money involved, in its value in a graded holder. Even a PCGS 12 is worth a few thousand dollars.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Mozin. Now, there's a thought I hadn't considered. I understand that PCGS now certifies early dollars, even if they have been cleaned (though I have no idea how ANACS determined that...but I believe them). My 1803 is very definitely cleaned to almost bright, and it is in A PCGS blue slab...with no "cleaned" notation. Something for me to consider, Mozin as I have maybe 6 or 7 pieces in my type set that are still raw. Now that I think about it, I believe you are the second collector to offer that suggestion in this topic. So now I am back to wondering, reslab or keep in the ANACS holder. Ya' gotta' love this hobby!!

Thanks!! Alan... definitely SNOWED IN!
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a number of middle date large cents in the small white holders - like this ANACS 58:

and if you really want to go back in time, look for these:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

<< <i>For a guy who believes in buying the coin and not the holder, I have a very large proportion of small ANACS slabs and rattlers. >>

Those are the same type of coins/holders I collect.

After 40 years of collecting, I believe in paying a fair price for the coin but I collect the holder.

Here is The lowest serial number slab that I have ever seen and been able to find.
    For this type of holder ANACS started with serial number 100
    After some research time at ANACS the first 4 coins in this holder are:
    s/n100 Morgan $ 1884-O MS-64PL
    s/n101 Morgan $ 1885-P MS-63DM
    s/n102 Morgan $ 1885-P MS-63PL
    s/n103 Morgan $ 1885-O MS-64PL

image:-)image

I have been working on a type set of ANACS small white holders and have 20 different types of holders/labels combos.
    The small white holder cover a time period of 1989 thru approx Feb 2005.
    I have had some help with the slab expert and most people know who he is.
    Bob

Here are some nice ANACS rim toned Morgans and a Franklin Half.

Bob

• WOW. The great posts and wonderful photos keep coming. I'm loving this. I need to go to the bank today and will bring home my remaining ANACS coins for inclusion here. Hopefully I'll get to it in the next day or so. I'm "rather" slow at the process and my photo skills are back in the dark ages (but they seem to yield better results than scans). Someday I'll figure out why some of my photos are top to bottom, and some come out side to side. Oh well, at least I am good at the piano! :&gtimage

Alan
  • I'm really enjoying the photos. I hope there will be more.

Here are 3 more of my ANACS slabs, and an NGC slab with a damaged half dime...it's the best I will ever own but when I sat down to determine the variety, I do believe that it is a Rarity 6, not that that means a whole lot. When I had it recertified, the variety number went the way of the old slab. Anyway, I'll reattribute it in time. I hope the images are clear (and not massive). I just peeked at the photos...not too bad if I do say so myself (and with help from some of you guys) but the 1/2 dime is better in real life and the details are a bit clearer.
    Update...uh...duh...sometimes I'm not the brightest bulb in the string, the half dime is an LM-6. Says so right on the slab. I guess I paid for that notation...bad case of CRS here!!!
    More Anacs photos to come. Alan

• Some more ANACS slabs: Alan
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage
  • oooops...I found 1 more. Alan
    imageimage
    Very Nice coins!

Here are some early slabs from 1990 or so, just after Amos Press bought ANACS and moved the company to Dublin, Ohio
    I was lucky enough to find the four and in serial number order also.

imageimageimageimage
    Bob

• greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Very pretty gem Morgan. Wished they all looked like this.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

i am a newby on this site,just trying to contribute
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    42? Now that's an oldie! I have one with the #334

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very pretty gem Morgan. Wished they all looked like this.

image >>

...now that baby is BEAUTIFUL image

Erik
  • gem is right, nice morgan,
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go with Mozins advice on the 1797 $...there is no added value what so ever on an Anacs details holder...there may be a few more in your set worth submitting, but mostly
    I would keep the lions share of these as is image
    Here is a new purchase for me.
    And I like these small white holder.
    Just a common dollar with a low serian number.But Nice.

Bob

• Hello, everyone. I haven't been around much since I started this post a while back. I'm glad to see that my thread is still up and running.

I am off, (with a YC) to a smallish show in Massachusetts tomorrow and I have been toying with the idea (probably dumb) of unloading my SEGS slabs (I think I have 6 left) that didn't make it into PCGS slabs. I don't think it's worth sending them on to NGC though I would LOVE to see how the 3 companies compare. Anyway, ANACS will be at the show tomorrow. I expect it will be just an individual for "sign up submitting" and not a grader...but I am wondering if there is any point in dragging the 6 pieces in and having ANACS take a whack at them. (Yes...I know...it's the coin and not the slab) but because of a MAJOR negative experience that I had with SEGS missing a counterfeit 1795 dollar years ago, I don't have much faith in their ability to "do the job" now. if I am wrong, I would be glad to take these words back.

What is the status of SEGS these days...have they become more accepted/accurate and reliable? I submitted about 20 coins when SEGS first opened for business and I am actually wishing them well...but I just can't get that taste out of my mouth from my $ coin experience. And, how is ANACS these days as far as reliability and accuracy?

Best to all.

Alan in Massachuseetts MusicAl

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file