Home Sports Talk

Your lowest 18 hole golf score ever?

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Single round. No mulligans no BS, real golf with real rules.

Patrick Reed has shot 3 rounds of 63 at the PGA tourney at La Quinta. Course is a par 72 and no one else has broken 63 for a round in this event.

I will be following the final round.

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Wow ... how EZ is that course playing. From 1st place to 69th place (that's 207 rounds) there has been only ONE round shot over par (and that was a 73).
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow ... how EZ is that course playing. From 1st place to 69th place (that's 207 rounds) there has been only ONE round shot over par (and that was a 73). >>

Good point, as the cut was -9. Nonetheless a strong performance by a relative unknown.
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My lowest round was back in 2010 (age 51) on my home course (par72) from the white tees (6050 yards) shot a 65.

I shot a front nine score (par 36) of 29, while stinking up on the greens and only making one putt of over 2 feet in length.

Pitched in twice for eagle,
    One 18 foot birdie putt
    and on two short par 4's (each about 290 yards), I had a tap-in birdie on both.

Result = 7 under.

This may sound all great but it gets worse (or better??)

On the back nine I went nine pars for a 36 for my total low score of 65.

BUT!!!!....I had at least 5 birdie putts on the back nine (and actually one on the front) from 6 feet to 12 feet which I missed them all!!

It could have been a very, very low score.

Needless to say that evening I went to Golftown and purchased a new putter.

I've never been so happy, yet disappointed with a round of golf in my life.

Truly a very mixed bag of emotions.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I once shot a 42 on the front nine and nothing else matters.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    The lowest I've ever shot on 9 holes was a 49. I was on top of the world!

I'm not a good golfer, but that's okay. I don't golf to be good at it, I like to golf for the fresh air, the beautiful landscape, and the beer. image
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I finished at 72 once. I might have broken 70 if it hadn't been for that damned windmill on the 17th.
  • robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    I shot an 83 at a public course in Evansville in 1994. It was a day before a lifelong buddy got married.

It is still the lowest round I ever shot.

Unfortunately,he got divorced in 2010!image

At least the golf is a good memory.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I shot in the 80's only once...88, in about 1979. Holed out the last hole from about 150 yards. It was so long ago, the golf course no longer exists. Earlington Golf Course, Renton, WA. It gave way to a condo complex along the Cedar River.

To this day, I have not broke 95, although I only play about twice a year....because I suck.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • image SHOT 63 TWICE;; ONCE IN (1966) COLLEGE (UNT) QUALIFYING FOR THE GOLF TEAM. PAR WAS 70 .

THE 2ND WAS IN 1983 DURING A SKINS MATCH IN THE AIR FORCE.. PAR 71

TONY
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Never really kept score past the first 3 holes. If I could play 18 and still have some of the original dozen balls remaining, that was a win.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 66, many moons ago. Was as low as a 4 handy at one point in my life. Now, there are days when I can't hit the side of a whale's appendage with my putter.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    my best score was back in the early 80s on a 185 yard par 3 at a public course during a company tournament while imbibing with co-workers.

maybe it was the 4th hole. or the 5th. maybe the 6th. don't really remember. my tee shot was something out of a dramatic dream sequence where the ball seemed to just carry through the beautiful blue sky forever, arcing gracefully towards the pin before striking it and coming to a rest about 3 feet short of the hole with a downhill, straight lie.....it was like being in a fairy tale.

after downing another 12 ounce can of confidence, i short-armed the putt and it still toppled in for birdie. the rest of that day doesn't even resonate in my memory, quite likely because all of us were roaring drunk before completing the front 9, and who knows if we even finished the round or drove the cart into a lake.

who cares?
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    81 on a former senior PGA tour course... but played the whites that day. However, I tripled the 18th. Ouch! Still pissed about that and it was 11 or 12 years ago. Not great but I was solid and I had a 14 index at the time. Now I play once a year and am horrible... but enjoy it much more.

Also, during college broke 80 a couple times but I am sure I had a mully or two so doesn't count obviously. Plus the course was easy.

<< <i>my best score was back in the early 80s on a 185 yard par 3 at a public course during a company tournament while imbibing with co-workers.

maybe it was the 4th hole. or the 5th. maybe the 6th. don't really remember. my tee shot was something out of a dramatic dream sequence where the ball seemed to just carry through the beautiful blue sky forever, arcing gracefully towards the pin before striking it and coming to a rest about 3 feet short of the hole with a downhill, straight lie.....it was like being in a fairy tale.

after downing another 12 ounce can of confidence, i short-armed the putt and it still toppled in for birdie. the rest of that day doesn't even resonate in my memory, quite likely because all of us were roaring drunk before completing the front 9, and who knows if we even finished the round or drove the cart into a lake.

who cares? >>

That's golf for you, Jeff. You can suck for 17 holes, but it's the one you played like a champion that will lure you back to the course.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a High School tournament back in the dark ages, I shot an 80. I was in the last pairing so there was a gathering as we came to the 18th green. I chipped in but it was to save par and a decent score (for me at the time) on the back 9 at 37.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>That's golf for you, Jeff. You can suck for 17 holes, but it's the one you played like a champion that will lure you back to the course. >>

for sure. long before my fateful attempt to land an invitation to Augusta, i double-bagged 18 holes, twice a day at the Riviera Country Club for several different people whom you've perfectly described.

a few of them were quite generous and appreciated that i just kept my damn opinions to myself. image
  • VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭
    I think there was a guy in North Korea that shot an 18... image
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been a member of my club since it opened in 1994. The best I've ever done is 88. I love to play but I realize that I pretty much suck on the first 18 holes. But I'm a pro on the 19th.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

<< <i>at the Riviera Country Club >>

That's a tight little fairway, JG...
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    77 at the old local club when I used to play ALL the time. Never could get lower than that. I play too fast to be good, can't stand taking the patience to think too much over every shot and to spend all the time to "read" putts properly. I like to just get up there and swing. Haven't played in a few years. Wouldn't surprise me now that if I was to go play a "good" course, I doubt I would be under 100.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>77 at the old local club when I used to play ALL the time. Never could get lower than that. I play too fast to be good, can't stand taking the patience to think too much over every shot and to spend all the time to "read" putts properly. I like to just get up there and swing. Haven't played in a few years. Wouldn't surprise me now that if I was to go play a "good" course, I doubt I would be under 100.

Mike >>

Never too fast to play great golf.

I play a par 72 with two other guys in 3 hours and we walk!
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shooting 59 and making double eagles you should be done in 3 hours.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph