Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1891-O Morgan dollar ?VAM-1A

NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is a silver dollar I've had since I was a kid. My grandmother pulled it from circulation and kept it when she worked for a bank.

I'm still learning to take pics, so sorry in advance.

I don't know Morgans well. Can anyone tell me if this is VAM-1A or one of its subtypes.

I am sure I dipped this coin as a kid, was foolish then, but it's had some years to retone. Should I get it certified? Does it have any value? Although I probably wouldn't sell it as it has some personal meaning to me..

Comments

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭
    Yup, you've got it image And the reverse die crack means it's a pretty late die state.

Congrats! Looks AU53-ish to me, but is that damage below the eagle's left wing at inner-left field?
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    Nice coin, I wish I could take pictures half as well!!
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • Options
    Nice coin and very good back story.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You actually have VAM 1A2, as evidenced by the noticeable bulge in the left reverse field which is bisected by a major die crack. This particular stage of the clashed E variety is ranked as Rarity 7 by Leroy Van Allen. This is the terminal stage of the dies, so few examples have been seen.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    morbidstevemorbidsteve Posts: 571 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coins, I absolutely love the clashing!
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm more inclined to call it XF45, and I love its originality and late die state that, as coindeuce has said, is pretty scarce.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info.

I didn't realize it was so rare. I collect bust halves, so I appreciate the clashing. Although I didn't even realize I had this until I was playing with my camera and noticed the odd look of the reverse. Morgans are neat but I never seriously collected them.

I appreciate the compliments on the coin's appearance but I am inclined to say it is probably not original. I distinctly remember dipping several of my grandmothers silver dollars in silver polish about 25 years ago. I still regret that, although we were not talking huge value coins. That being said, time is a healer. Although it's also possible this coin was spared the dipping pot, as I have a few others that are quite dirty.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You actually have VAM 1A2, as evidenced by the noticeable bulge in the left reverse field which is bisected by a major die crack. This particular stage of the clashed E variety is ranked as Rarity 7 by Leroy Van Allen. This is the terminal stage of the dies, so few examples have been seen. >>

So that's what that is... image

I was on the right track with the whole LDS thing, but I'd have never thought that was die damage! image Very cool!
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice good eye. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin - I do think the reverse rim nick above the O of OF is a negative. I like the look- these are flat strikes and even with the rim issue, I would call this a AU50- on the low end.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin.

I've always thought PCGS should add this VAM to the Morgan Dollars with Varieties set. It's the best example of an E Clash.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VAM 1A3, actually, but it is the terminal die state. Usually found in VF or lower, this is quite a nice specimen.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>VAM 1A3, actually, but it is the terminal die state. Usually found in VF or lower, this is quite a nice specimen. >>

+1

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Wow perfect E Reverse top 100 imageimageimage

I think to buy one like this VAM-1A E 1891-O

How much cost one like this XF-45 Or AU-50 ? Thanks image
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool coin!! -- Thanks for sharing.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file