Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Baby-sat a coin from a 10-year old thread yesterday

Way back in November of 2003, I posted on the Darkside about a coin I got for a friend.

A friend was going to be knighted by the French government with the Ordre des Palmes Académiques (Chevalier) for his academic pursuit of Napoleonic war strategy, and I thought he would enjoy a coin bearing Napoleon's likeness and dated with the French Republican Calendar. I settled on a 5 Franc piece, and I asked the kind people on the board for a little background on the coin that I could include with it.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to visit with that friend at his home, and as he was showing me the Chevalier garter and medallion I spied the coin. But then I realized I'd given him the coin in a PVC flip! image

Fortunately he had the coin laying on top of the flip. I explained my concern, and asked him to let me rectify the situation.
imageimage

The coin's not pristine--I was on a tight budget ten years ago and I was also on a time crunch to find the right coin at the right price. But I figured a coin that "saw action" following the revolution would be more interesting to an historian anyway. image

I took the coin when I left and went straight to my local B&M and explained the situation. My dealer rummaged through his new stock, then his old stock, and finally found what he'd been looking for--an AirTite holder he thought would fit the piece. Perfect (or nearly) image

Then I went home and placed the coin in an inch of fresh Acetone and let it soak for the rest of the morning. I dropped the coin off at his house on the way to my son's soccer game last night:

He appreciated the effort, it was nice to not have to explain obsessing with conserving something historically interesting.

He wouldn't let me leave without one of his carvings. This is a rendition of sitting bull he carved about 25 years ago:

imageimage
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story!
    It's so cool when you can give a coin to someone who enjoys history.

Your friend's work is just wonderful.