Home Sports Talk
Options

Dodgers and Kershawn Agree to Extension

Great Move!

Fantastic lockup of the league's best pitcher, keeping him under team control until he's 32.

"The Los Angeles Dodgers and Clayton Kershaw have agreed on a seven-year, $215 million deal, sources with knowledge of the situation said."

The Dodgers literally have no ceiling when it comes to payroll, and I love that the yankees no longer have exclusive control over the high end salary market.

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At 25, with 77 wins, he's the only pitcher (other than Sabathia) with a realistic shot at 300 wins in next 15 years. I'm not normally in favor of long-term contracts, but he'll still be in his prime (arguably) when this contract expires.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WOW! That's an average of $30.7 MILLION per year. Based on 2013 salaries, that puts Mr. Kershaw at #1 on the list!

Edited to add: If I would have read the article first I would not have had to make the above comment! lol
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    He's the best pitcher the Dodgers have had in a long time, he's the staff ace, he's young and the team management doesn't hesitate to spend money. A big time contract extension was inevitable.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Go blue!
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    At least it is not a ten year deal for $300 million. Contract seems like a compromise for the player and the team with the ability for Kershaw to opt out after five years and cash in again at 30 years old. Seems crazy, but I see this deal being fair to the Dodgers and Kershaw as well.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>At 25, with 77 wins, he's the only pitcher (other than Sabathia) with a realistic shot at 300 wins in next 15 years. I'm not normally in favor of long-term contracts, but he'll still be in his prime (arguably) when this contract expires. >>

Verlander at 137 wins through age 29 has a realistic shot.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Good deal for Kershaw. I hope the Dodgers come to regret it. image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25