Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you had a coin that went from an NGC PR68 to a PCGS PR? UPDATE GRADE IN LAST POST

PCGS PR67 CAM, then after crack and resubmission to a PCGS PR68 (no Cam)

Would you consider submitting under the new reconsideration service in an attempt to regain the CAM designation?

Comments

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Any given Sunday....
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who knows maybe the grader got lucky last night?image

This is like asking if a pair of Aces is a winning hand. Sure if a pair of Kings is the best anyone has but will lose to 3 twos.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it's your coin is it cameo or not?
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>Well it's your coin is it cameo or not? >>

Well, really I didn't think so the first time it went in but then again, I'm not a grader nor yet well versed with the CAM stuff. And, once it got the CAM I'd thought ya you know what, I can see it...but with 3 weeks it was upgraded a point and not a CAM.

Edit: I don't have a decent pic of the reverse but here's a terrible obverse pic...best I can do from the office...

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS PR67 CAM, then after crack and resubmission to a PCGS PR68 (no Cam)

Would you consider submitting under the new reconsideration service in an attempt to regain the CAM designation? >>

Ask that it be given to the same guy who gave it a CAM before. I have to believe that a lot of these inconsistencies arise simply because the coin/s is/are seen by different graders. Do people here mentally regrade their coins every time they look at them?
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with Ambro in that this is the criterion I would be using to determine whether to resubmit or not.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it was once!
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    making a decision without seeing the reverse is impossible
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options

<< <i>making a decision without seeing the reverse is impossible >>

I'll try and grab a good shot of the reverse but not that good with pics...

Thanks for the answers thus far...image
  • Options
    Back in it went today under the new reconsideration service...update in a few weeks...
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's like that "mommy , mommy " joke.

Kid :"mommy, why do I keep going in circles ? "
    Mommy: " Shuddup kid before I nail your other foot to the floor "

• Options
    Sent in for Reconsideration Regular, logged in Friday 3/7 and the grade posted this morning 3/12.

I struck out, but at least it was fast. I didn't realize this before but there is a pic that shows with the cert but it's not a trueview.

LINK
  • Options
    From the Obv. photo I thought the Cam was iffy in the first place.

Eric
  • Options

<< <i>From the Obv. photo I thought the Cam was iffy in the first place.

Eric >>

Can you expand on this a bit? I had it as a CAM lock based on the Obverse photo? I didn't get the chance to take a Reverse pic and if anything thought maybe the reverse was iffy.

Here's another one for comparison...and this one's a CAM67

and the PR68 coming up image

• Options
    I would give the obverse the cameo and the reverse is not quite there yet. With it in a holder it may never get there though as it needs a little bit of patina on those reverse raised surfaces.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>From the Obv. photo I thought the Cam was iffy in the first place.

Eric >>

Can you expand on this a bit? I had it as a CAM lock based on the Obverse photo? I didn't get the chance to take a Reverse pic and if anything thought maybe the reverse was iffy.

Here's another one for comparison...and this one's a CAM67

and the PR68 coming up image >>

Hello,

I am not Proof expert, but there appeared to me to be to a few too many breaks in the frost on the Obv. image (collar bone, hair, inside of nose etc.). See some DCAM and compare to CAM and then extrapolate a little bit down.

Eric
  • Options
    here is one that looks very much like yours what do you think? How much do you have vested in this coin now? Either I am missing something or you really like this quarter.

• Options
    Isn't that the same photo as the coin op posted in small form John? Maybe I need to eat.

Eric
  • Options

<< <i>here is one that looks very much like yours what do you think? How much do you have vested in this coin now? Either I am missing something or you really like this quarter.

image >>

It looks like mine because it is mine. Do I really like it, I'm not attached at the hip, but more of lets say an experiment in grading.
  • Options
    What are you looking for? Some "tell" for CAM designation? Other?
    Consistency is generally not a human trait.

Eric
  • Options
    Thats cool as yours is the coin facts coin. You should ask for a premium for that! lol
  • Options
    Here's the only other known 67CAM comparison. I was hoping that my PR68 would upgrade to PR 68CAM.

• Options

IMHO, it is partly a combination of surface qualities, the mirrors, the whole thing and the way it meets - not just some technical % of frost. My .02

Eric
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    how is it not a cameo? Play the game and resubmit.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>how is it not a cameo? Play the game and resubmit. >>

+1
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No question in my mind it's the reverse holding this back from getting a CAM. IMHO you've been market graded. A 67 CAM = PR 68 price wise...or approximately so they either withhold the CAM, and give the higher grade or give you the grade and not the designation.

I agree with PCGS on the non-cam grade as the left half of the reverse just doesn't have the dark fields needed for a CAM designation; regardless of how strong the obverse is. I think you're several submissions from getting it into a 68 CAM holder...if ever.

Still a great coin...don't lose site of that just due to what's on the plastic.
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No question in my mind it's the reverse holding this back from getting a CAM. IMHO you've been market graded. A 67 CAM = PR 68 price wise...or approximately so they either withhold the CAM, and give the higher grade or give you the grade and not the designation. >>

I agree, and I see this as the classic case of lower grade + designation or higher grade + no designation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file