Post a scan of a card that doesn't make sense. In the
past Topps would have a photo of a player with a blue
cap on, with the logo airbrushed out, and say he played
with the Cardinals, or such.

Let me start with the 1969 Topps Nolan Ryan who is
in the pose of throwing a ball, while the ball is still
clearly in his glove.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

Comments

• itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Let me start with the 1969 Topps Nolan Ryan who is
    in the pose of throwing a ball, while the ball is still
    clearly in his glove.
    >>

His arm is extended because he was just about to tell the photographer that his zipper was down.
  • nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Topps removed Steve DeLong's left shoulder in 1966. In 1967 they put it back.

• billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    The first card that immediately comes to my mind is the 1989 Topps Sandy Alomar card. I've always wondered why someone felt it necessary to airbrush a ball into his mitt.......

• WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Thought I'd revive this thread with this one of Raghib "The Rocket" Ismail:

• Heres one that I caught all on my own a while back and have never heard anyone make any reference to this "error"

This card has his pin strips CLEARLY drawn on. You can even see the line drawn as it goes over his skin on the right side. Then on the other side of his uniform, I guess they forgot to finish drawing the pin strips. lol

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mantles uniform within the circle picture also lacks any stripeing. Could be in a workout jersey or road jersey.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Both pictures have strips. They are just very faint. I guess someone at Topps felt the strips should come out more and had a pen near by too. Wonder if it was someone who was bored at the printing factory but yet, the joke went through.

<< <i>The first card that immediately comes to my mind is the 1989 Topps Sandy Alomar card. I've always wondered why someone felt it necessary to airbrush a ball into his mitt....... >>

Why do you say the ball is airbrushed?

<< <i>This card has his pin strips CLEARLY drawn on. You can even see the line drawn as it goes over his skin on the right side. Then on the other side of his uniform, I guess they forgot to finish drawing the pin strips. lol
    >>

They don't look drawn on to me. As for "no" pinstripes on the right side (his left shoulder), the sun is shining on that shoulder. It looks like they're there, but are very faint.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    what's the fuss over stripes? somebody rave about the card. ok, me.

whoa. image
  • ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    They are clearly drawn on. They don't even join/match the stripes over the shoulder and the ones over the shoulder are a different direction.

<< <i>They are clearly drawn on. They don't even join/match the stripes over the shoulder and the ones over the shoulder are a different direction. >>

So, I guess you think that Casey Stengel's pinstripes in this photo were airbrushed too?

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mantles uniform within the circle picture also lacks any stripeing. Could be in a workout jersey or road jersey. >>

I am in error and retract this observation. Upon further review/magnification I do see the stripes in the circled picture. They are visible in the SE part of the picture,the small area between the black material and circle border.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".