Poker.
Golf.
Billiards.
Professional wrestling.
Figure skating.

Comments

• Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    The only one of those that's a sport is figure skating.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    ...I might add Golf...but barely.
  • Options
    When John Daly can play the game it's absolutely not a sport.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When John Daly can play the game it's absolutely not a sport. >>

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Poker......................................a game
    Golf.............................................more a game than a sport to me, a game of great technical skill.
    Billiards....................................... a game
    Professional wrestling................. incredible athletes, but not a sport.
    Figure skating......................a competition but have a problem in the aspects of competing for scores with judges.....pretty subjective. I would say no on the sport aspect.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    If the activity involves subjective judging of any kind to determine the final outcome IT IS NOT A SPORT!
    If the activity has a final result based on the skill of the competitor or a fixed method to determine the outcome, it is a Sport.
    Granted, some sports require FAR more physical exertion than others image

<< <i>When John Daly can play the game it's absolutely not a sport. >>

I would like to see you put your $$ where your mouth is on that statement and find out just how much of a sport it really is!
    I would wager he would wipe you up one side and down the other and I have no idea who you are.

* For the record, I SUCK at golf!
  • Options

<< <i>If the activity involves subjective judging of any kind to determine the final outcome IT IS NOT A SPORT! >>

Football officiating has all sorts of subjective judging. As does the calling of balls and strikes in baseball. So neither are sports?

<< <i>I would like to see you put your $$ where your mouth is on that statement and find out just how much of a sport it really is!
    I would wager he would wipe you up one side and down the other and I have no idea who you are. >>

I'd lose to a pro bowler too, does that make bowling a sport? I'd lose to a pro foosball player too. Is foosball a sport?
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poker...game of chance albeit involving some skill, but not a sport.
    Golf... a sport.
    Billiards... a pastime that has become a professional competition. But not a sport
    Pro wrestling- not a sport as outcomes are predetermined... sports-based entertainment.
    Figure skating... Sport.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    Adults still watch pro wrestling?

Of that list only skating is a sport.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    If poker is a sport, then Tic Tac Toe is too. The others are easily sports, but not all sports are created equal.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I do not care. They are what they are.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poker…no way
    Golf… yes way.
    Billiards… nope. Same as darts or horse shoes
    Pro wrestling….no way, winners predetermined
    Figure skating…yes way even through there is judging to determine the winner. Boxing has judges as well
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Golf.

The rest....not even close.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of these are televised by ESPN. I would rate them from absolutely to questionable in this order.
    1 Figure skating. I can't believe anyone with half a brain would argue against it.
    2 Golf. It takes a combination of athletic ability and the ability to perform under pressure. I see John Daly used as a negative but perhaps some can't admit it is a
    sport because the best is African-American.
    3 Pro wrestling. It may be staged but it takes a great athlete to inflict such damage without doing damage.
    4 Billiards. Takes hand-eye coordination and the ability to perform under pressure.
    5 Poker. Someone will have to help me on this one.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Poker...game of chance albeit involving some skill, but not a sport.
    Golf... a sport.
    Billiards... a pastime that has become a professional competition. But not a sport
    Pro wrestling- not a sport as outcomes are predetermined... sports-based entertainment.
    Figure skating... Sport. >>

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not care. They are what they are. >>

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All of these are televised by ESPN. I would rate them from absolutely to questionable in this order. >>

Whenever this comes up, it's always important to remember what the "E" in ESPN stands for - Entertainment. It's not like they broadcast sports only.

I would definitely agree that poker is not a sport. But that doesn't change the fact that it is a very physically draining activity if you're in a tournament for a long time.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But that doesn't change the fact that it is a very physically draining activity if you're in a tournament for a long time. >>

I was in one that grinded out for over 8 hours. Mentally and physically drained afterward.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Figure skating - a sport
    Golf - a sport only if you carry your own clubs and don't use a golf cart
    Wrestling - not a sport but the wrestlers are athletes
    Others - not sports
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.