Home Sports Talk

Arod Suspended 162 Games

Link

Which means if the Yankees make the playoffs (big if with their abysmal roster), he could come back. This shoots down the foolish theories some had that he'd serve the full 211, or even a lifetime ban. He gives up a year of salary, but the rest remains intact.

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The suspension also includes all potential playoff games in 2014."

He is not done fighting this.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Mixed feelings on this. Kind of liked the idea of the Steinbrenners paying this chump $35,000,000 a year*

*or whatever the correct number was.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting segment on 60 Minutes tomorrow evening regarding the investigation including an interview with Bosch.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Yankees are pumped, now they get to free up that stupid money he would have earned this season.

Im pi$$ed, I was hoping he beat it and was able to play and the Yanks would have to pay him.
  • 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    The best part is he will be allowed to attend training camp, and there's still a possibility the federal judge lowers the suspension from a year long to less, but is very unlikely.

What I don't understand is people saying he should just shut up and accept his penalty. If this was you, and tens of millions of dollars was at stake, we're expected to believe you'd just shut up and lose it?

<< <i>
    You're obviously too inept too understand the most basic elements of social skills. ARod not pursuing the matter and lying low would accomplish PLENTY of things in his favor. >>

What these 'plenty' of things? You throw this sentence out there but back it up with nothing whatsoever. People's opinion of Arod is set - you can't honestly be so naive as to think that if he went away for a year people who abhor him would say 'aw, what a swell guy, I like him now!'

<< <i> But he craves attention SO MUCH that he rather be the public buffoon that he has become rather than being out of sight. >>

Or he's willing to fight tooth and nail for every penny of his contract that he can, which, you know, any one of us would do if we felt we were being unfairly punished.

<< <i>As for these tens of millions, like you said, the odds are very unlikely against him succeeding. It's foolish to continue to spend a ton of money on lawyers on a cause that appears fruitless. So just on the risk/reward analysis of the money, it is a bad gamble. But win or lose, he will become even more reviled than he already is. As for attending training camp, just because he wants to and plans to attend, doesn't mean it's going to happen. >>

Again, the court of public opinion has already returned on Arod. If you think there's people out there who's going to use *this* as a tipping point to not liking Arod, well, sir, I have a bridge in New York I'd LOVE to make you an offer on.

<< <i>There are degrees of being disliked and ridiculed. It's a spectrum, not a fixed position. According to you, ARod should be bundled in with Hitler. But if you feel that ARod is hated beyond reproach, I certainly won't argue the point with you. I for one enjoy all the entertainment as he digs himself a deeper hole and DEFINITELY would rather see him continue the fight. >>

Whoa, hold on there pilgrim. Where exactly did I say that he should be bundled in with Hitler? I'd appreciate you not putting words in my mouth, and if you're going to paraphrase, at least be accurate. I said the court of public opinion of Arod has already been set. At NO point did I ever say what you suggested I said.

<< <i>As for fighting for every penny, this fight is NOT free. It's costing him a good chunk and the only people probably suggesting he continue this fight are the very ones that are lining their pockets at his expense. If you think he should be "fighting for every penny", perhaps he should stop spending money that he actually has control over. Heck, the fact that the Union has distanced themselves should tell him everything he needs to know. >>

His team of lawyers costs a couple hundred thousand dollars a month, based on numerous reports. As expensive as that sounds, it's a pittance compared to the money he's working to recoup from his contract.

<< <i>Hitler is analogous in that people's opinion of him will never change. >>

Yes, because we should group in PED using baseball players with mass murderers, because those two things are so similar. Good gravy.

<< <i> Most people aren't in that boat. >>

So you're going to sit there and HONESTLY suggest that if Arod went quietly into the night and came back in a year there would be ANYONE out there who would think differently of him? Even you can't be that dense and/or naive, can you?

<< <i> But you're too dense to understand that and would rather see your hero look more and more stupid in the public forum, rather than trying to salvage what little he can and hopefully even work toward changing some people's opinions of him. >>

He's not my hero. Sorry, but unlike you, I'm not 12 years old and I don't see sports figures as 'heroes'.

<< <i> Not everyone dislikes him to the same degree. There are even people who I'm sure are on the fence, to which his actions will undoubtedly alienate even further. But you are completely ignorant of all of these very simple truths and would rather see him burn his own house down because you're so clueless. >>

Who are these people who could possibly be on the fence about Arod? Do you know a single person with a passing knowledge of baseball who is still up in the air? I didn't think so.

<< <i>As for the money, hundreds of thousands a month is a lot to spend on something where you have essentially no chance of getting any money back on. But you seem so deluded into thinking he may actually get some reprieve. >>

So let's say he spends a year fighting this. He spends a bit over $3 million working to get $30 million back. Oh, let's also not forget he's already made hundreds of millions of dollars. $3 million is pocket change to him. I'm still waiting to hear what these 'plenty of things' he would get back in his favor by going away and serving his suspension without fighting would be.

<< <i>The plenty of things would be the thing that he wants most. People liking him. You are obviously clueless when it comes to ARod, even for all the obvious idol worshiping you do of him. >>

For the hundredth time, I don't worship athletes. I find it curious you keep insisting as such, but I'm guessing you worship athletes, so you think the rest of us do as well. Sorry, pal, but I stopped seeing athletes as role models a very long time ago. And people liking him? That's ONE thing. Are you really this dense or are you just trolling? Either way, you have a lot of work to do.

<< <i>"Good gravy?" LOL. >>

LOL? You really are 12 aren't you?

<< <i>And yes, I am very much suggesting that people's opinions could change depending on how ARod behaves. No one's suggesting he's going to make the Hall or that he's going to be held up as some role model, but there are definitely people that might be willing to be more accepting of him. >>

No, there's not. There's not a more widely covered baseball player in recent history, so people's opinions are set. They aren't going to change. If you honestly think that then you really are naive.

<< <i> Whatever people feel today about an issue or ARod, is NOT a definitive reflection on how they might feel tomorrow or next year. A lot of that gets shaped based on ARod's own actions. But you're so clueless to the obvious in life. I can only imagine that this perspective on your part must come from not having any real interaction with other human beings. I'm absolutely stunned that I have to even state such an obvious truth about life. >>

If you don't think people's opinions are formed and set of people then it's you who is clueless. I find it mind boggling that you can sit there and honestly think that if Arod went away for a year that a single person's opinion would change. By the way, if by some miracle your plan worked, what exactly would that accomplish?

<< <i>As for him spending $3M, that's all money that he's throwing down the toilet. And all in an effort to once again, lose the "plenty" of things he wants more than anything else, and that is the acceptance and possible adoration of others. >>

If you would go down without a fight, and give up $30 million, then you are as big a fool and as naive and ignorant as I thought you to be. Good luck with that head in the sand approach in life! Maybe once you grow up you'll realize that hiding accomplishes exactly *nothing*.

<< <i>No one could illogically defend ARod in the manner that you do and not worship him. Protest all you want but it's worship however you want to slice it. >>

No, I just love debating someone who is inherently wrong and yet refuses to admit as such.

<< <i>Are you suggesting that people’s feelings toward ARod today are an exact reflection of how they felt about him as a rookie in 1995? Or how they felt about him in 2005? Or even 2009 after his steroid confession? Or even one year ago prior to the Biogensis article? Events happened in the real world, on the playing field, and in ARod’s life to shape what public opinion was at each point and time. His name is besmirched to point that it is BY FAR as low as it has EVER been. Yet, just when one would think that things couldn’t get worse for him, he’s making every effort to ensure that it does just that. >>

The media has covered him to the point that even non-baseball fans have an opinion on him. And his going away for a year, and being the good little soldier you want him to be, isn't going to change that. Sorry, pal, but in this day and age, people's opinions on someone as well-covered as Arod is NOT going to change. Just because YOU want him to go away, serve his suspension doesn't mean it would do anything you are suggesting it would. I don't know why you insist on taking this approach, but you couldn't be more wrong, and my joy in batting you around is quickly waning. Wish all you want - Arod is going to use every means available to him to limit his suspension - something each and every one of us would do if we had the means. If you're going to sit there and say you would just go away and hide for a year tells me either you're (a) a liar or (b) a coward.

<< <i>So once again, YES, people’s opinions are a VERY fluid thing. Your ignorance in this matter is completely beyond belief. And while it is very unlikely that he will every be very liked by the overall fanbase or public at large, there is plenty of room to engender a more positive perception of himself. A LOT of that is very low hanging fruit that he’s unwilling to pick. And instead would rather purposely eat more crap and then spit it out at everyone. And you seem to laud your hero into doing just that, at his own detriment. >>

You continue to press this point, and again, you couldn't be more wrong. While SOME people in the public eye have public opinion changed over time, Arod's is what it is, and nothing at this point is going to change that. Look at something as trivial as the idea that he's a postseason choker. Despite the stats that suggest otherwise, there are still those who have it in their mind that he chokes in the postseason. So, enjoy living in your little world where you think people's opinions of Arod can change. The rest of us will live in reality and know the truth.
  • Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    1985fan,

I agree with Baseball. With the illogical defenses you have given Arod on here, it only leads to you worshiping him.

That whole thread claiming that steroids don't even do anything. That whole premise that it is Selig's fault that Arod did steroids. Jeez.

You can't even get yourself to say that he is a liar...which is about the most basic fact in all of this. Just respond to this post with, "Alex Rodriguez is a liar," with no qualifying statements for it...and I think cutting you at least a little slack can be in order.

He already is the biggest douchebag of the era, and this latest stunt he is pulling will only cement that....but in your defense, since he already is the biggest douche, he really doesn't have much to lose in that area.

<< <i>1985fan,

I agree with Baseball. With the illogical defenses you have given Arod on here, it only leads to you worshiping him. >>

Or maybe I abhor Bud Selig and his pathetic attempt to distance himself from the mess he created and oversaw more than I like Arod? I mean there's that possibility. The fact that there are plenty of people who want to applaud Bud for his work on steroids while conveniently ignoring it was on his watch that this entire mess became the firestorm it did.

<< <i>That whole thread claiming that steroids don't even do anything. That whole premise that it is Selig's fault that Arod did steroids. Jeez. >>

I never said it was Selig's fault any player did steroids. But Buddy boy sure did facilitate an environment in which players were motivated to use whatever it took to get paid. If Bud hadn't been so desperate for something, anything to bring baseball back from the world series HE was responsible for cancelling, if he was truly concerned with stamping out PED use, he would have.

<< <i>You can't even get yourself to say that he is a liar...which is about the most basic fact in all of this. Just respond to this post with, "Alex Rodriguez is a liar," with no qualifying statements for it...and I think cutting you at least a little slack can be in order. >>

He lied about using PEDs. Now what? He at last has finally owned up to taking it. Again, I will ask: if there was a substance that your work didn't test for that would allow you to make tens of millions of dollars, would you take it? 100/100 honest people would say yes. What do you say?

<< <i>He already is the biggest douchebag of the era, and this latest stunt he is pulling will only cement that....but in your defense, since he already is the biggest douche, he really doesn't have much to lose in that area. >>

So what if he's a douchebag? Because he's unliked he's not supposed to fight tooth and nail to try to get out of his punishment? By your and baseball's account, he would somehow be better served by giving up his legal rights to appeal this decision? Again, I'll ask you: if you had the means to defend yourself, and there was $30 MILLION on the line, would you go silently, or would you use every available resource to fight?
  • Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You can't even get yourself to say that he is a liar...which is about the most basic fact in all of this. Just respond to this post with, "Alex Rodriguez is a liar," with no qualifying statements for it...and I think cutting you at least a little slack can be in order. >>

He lied about using PEDs. Now what? He at last has finally owned up to taking it. Again, I will ask: if there was a substance that your work didn't test for that would allow you to make tens of millions of dollars, would you take it? 100/100 honest people would say yes. What do you say?

<< <i>He already is the biggest douchebag of the era, and this latest stunt he is pulling will only cement that....but in your defense, since he already is the biggest douche, he really doesn't have much to lose in that area. >>

>>

I'm not going to address your Selig/Arod premise again, as I have already destroyed that premise in the past. So, I will just focus on these two aspects.

1)He is a liar. Again, you tried to qualify it, hence more proof that your defense of him is just heroism.

2)Your question of me taking PED's that would make me tens of millions of dollars? A)If I am already making sevens of millions of dollars, NO, I wouldn't take them. B). If I know that there is a chance they can kill me, and I am already healthy, no, I wouldn't take them. My life is worth more than money can buy.