Home Sports Talk
Options

ESPN's Hall of 100

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
Don't know how many of you caught the inaugural list last year, but I have found this to be an interesting read. It's a mock Hall of Merit, so to speak, based solely on what players did on the field. It institutes a metric called GAR (greatness above replacement), which statistically combines WAR (wins above replacement) and peak value (the greatness of a player at the pinnacle of his career).

If you're being introduced to it for the first time, I recommend the methodology link (it won't take long) prior to reading the actual list of 100. Enjoy!

Methodology

List (including honorable mentions)

Comments

• Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Nice. At some point there's going to be more and more calls for something like this, and I can see a time when public pressure forces make voters vote for what happened on the field, and ignore what happened off it. I hope LeBatard's vocal protest of the incredibly flawed voting process forces real change (but I know it won't).

To avoid any spoilers, I'll use numbers, but I'd move #3 to 2, #2 to 1, and #1 to 3, simply based around the eras and competition each faced. But this is fantastic and thank you for sharing.
  • Options
    Oh, I'll also add, I like the ability to add players in as they are playing. That's a nice touch. This reminds me of the 'pyramid' hall of fame that Bill Simmons advocates for for the basketball hall of fame.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    What is flawed about the voting process, in your opinion?

For me, the fact that an idiot like Dan LeBetard actually has (had) a vote is a flaw of the system. Also, anyone that cast a vote for JT Snow, Jacque Jones, Eric Gagne, Hideo Nomo, Moises Alou, and any other unworthy candidate should have their vote taken away from them, because it is obvious that they aren't taking their responsibility seriously. Also, anyone that uses the HOF vote as a means to garner attention for the themselves (Ken Gurnick), should be eliminated, too.

Other than that, I'm fine with the 10-vote limit. There is a reason why there is a 15-year eligibility period for those that get enough votes to stay on the ballot. It's because if you are worthy, you will eventually get in. First ballot inductees should be reserved for the no-doubt, sure-fire HOFers like Maddux. I feel bad for Biggio missing by 2 votes, but it's not like he isn't going to make it next year, or the year after.
  • Options

<< <i>What is flawed about the voting process, in your opinion? >>

What's flawed is baseball writers are now tasked with being medical professionals as well as baseball writers. They are left to determine what the real benefit of PEDs, as well as to sift through allegations as well as positive tests. What's flawed is a writer letting personal biases vote for players obviously not qualified to be in the hall of fame, just because they were personal friends. What's flawed is a writer not voting for anyone in the so-called PED era, despite a player like Maddux being (a) completely removed from any and all PED allegations and (b) obviously showing no PED use.

The list of flaws in the voting process, and so well known, I won't list any more.

<< <i>For me, the fact that an idiot like Dan LeBetard actually has (had) a vote is a flaw of the system. >>

Why is he an idiot? Because he, unlike others, decided to do something about the real problems with hall voting? Because he stood up and made his voice known, unlike the countless cowards who hide behind the anonymity of their ballot? How is he an idiot for doing what he felt was needed to prompt change?

<< <i>Also, anyone that cast a vote for JT Snow, Jacque Jones, Eric Gagne, Hideo Nomo, Moises Alou, and any other unworthy candidate should have their vote taken away from them, because it is obvious that they aren't taking their responsibility seriously. Also, anyone that uses the HOF vote as a means to garner attention for the themselves (Ken Gurnick), should be eliminated, too. >>

So you ask what's flawed then proceed to show some flaws, so you obviously agree with the 'idiot' LeBatard.

<< <i>Other than that, I'm fine with the 10-vote limit. There is a reason why there is a 15-year eligibility period for those that get enough votes to stay on the ballot. It's because if you are worthy, you will eventually get in. First ballot inductees should be reserved for the no-doubt, sure-fire HOFers like Maddux. I feel bad for Biggio missing by 2 votes, but it's not like he isn't going to make it next year, or the year after. >>

Either you're a hall of famer or you're not. The fact that you and some voters feel the need to penalize some players into not being a first ballot hall of famer is absurd. I've never understood the mentality in penalizing a guy and making him wait a year because his hall of fame credentials weren't as strong as one of the all time greats.
  • Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    The list is a good starting point.

It also looks like they considered the eras too, which is good.

Players from the live ball era of the mid 90's+, and the pre war era, had easier times to separate from their peers, as opposed to the players from the era's in between those two times.

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    85, it sounds like we are basically on the same page. Your gripes appear to be less about the process and more about who is actually casting the votes and the personal agendas/warped viewpoints they have.

The PED era is a tricky issue, but LeBetard's publicity stunt in protest was shameful.