Home Precious Metals

Back to stacking and a question

perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
I took a long break from Silver stacking now Im back on it, at least taking baby steps back into it buying about 10 Silver Rounds this week and adding to the "old pile"

Speaking outside of the Silver investment part, whats the story with the forein Silver IE: Canada, Mexico, China, Britain ect.. I assume these are their versions of our ASE, are these investment worthy being that they might be less produced than ASE?

Thanks!

Comments

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have some of all of those, nothing wrong with variety. Whatever you can get with the smallest premium is fine and dandy.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    foreign mint bullion is produced in mass quantities. The silver maple was redesigned this year. Hope it doesn't have the high spotting percentage of previous years. As a stacker and not a collector the spotting doesn't bother me, silver is silver regardless of color.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    I consider the Australian Kooks and the Maple Leafs to be of investment quality, to name a couple.
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    The lunar series one ounce silver coins from Australia are limited in mintage. Those are investment worthy. Besides, they come in a capsule straight out of the Perth Mint. Easy to keep clean and mint for years to come in that manner. I like ordering them because when they come in the mail, I can easily put them in my coin box and be done with it. Its not like Provident, MCM or Goldmart opens these capsules when they get them from the mint (I am talking about the current issue coins, if something is a few years old, you have to wonder where its been). With other coins, since I have no idea where they have been, I have to always give an acetone bath to make sure contaminants are removed that may not be visible.

The Chinese Panda is beautiful, comes in a capsule, but I am unsure of the mintage. The kooks of Australia do not have anywhere near the mintage of the American Silver Eagles.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭
    I'd stack whatever is easiest to sell (without losing much on the spread) when the time comes.

Maples, yup
    Eagles, yup
    Onzas, yup if the premium isn't too high
    Philharmonics, possibly depending on the local market for them
    Kookaburras, Britannias, Pandas, etc (with a change in design year to year, higher premiums), usually not
    Anything in an MS70 slab, NOPE!
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    As with any investing, you have to do your homework. Some of the Canadian issues, particularly those with "privy" marks, can bring large premiums. While the standard Maple Leaf generally sells for less than the SAE. Britannias, Pandas, Kookaburras, and Kolas usually sell for a premium over SAEs. Libertads and Philharmonics generally sell for less than SAEs, but there are always exceptions for special dates. I try to stick SAEs, but I've found the occasional coin dealer who views them all as melt, and I've picked-up some good deals.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson