Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Who collects foreign baseball cards?

I had to replace an ill-placed for sale post with something. Anyway, in a few of the other sports, international cards are readily accepted as normal issues, whereas in baseball they are considered, well, foreign. Please discuss and, no, Canada does not count. image

Wondo

Comments

• people outside the USA
  • I personally feel that cards are cards. I have a Ruth Sanella and think it's pretty great. I think it's been mentioned before that a lot of UK issued cards can be found in fantastic condition. I've found this to be true and will take a card from another country with a star player in mint condition any day over a poor condition, same star, US print. Just how feel.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I personally feel that cards are cards. I have a Ruth Sanella and think it's pretty great. I think it's been mentioned before that a lot of UK issued cards can be found in fantastic condition. I've found this to be true and will take a card from another country with a star player in mint condition any day over a poor condition, same star, US print. Just how feel. >>

+1
  • Japan,the Japanese love their cards.

and I like em too
  • royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    I don't collect them, but I do have an Italian baseball item (not sure if it is a sticker or card)

Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose it would depend on whether you mean foreign baseball cards made of foreign players in foreign leagues, or foreign cards of MLB players.

I've got a lot of Venezuelan cards where some are the Venezuelan Topps parallel but some are of the Venezuelan winter league instead of being MLB even though they are MLB players, and also some of the older Cuban-issue cards of players like Ted Williams, etc. Had a set of Japanese baseball that included a Sadaharu Oh but wasn't really into those and I sold them off.

• WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    I was referencing foreign issues with MLBPs on them. For baseball, I like the Cuban issues - Propagandas Montiel, Susini, Carmelo Deportiva, etc. There is a whole website dedicated to Cuban cards. The Venezuelan / Topps cards are awesome. I collect a lot of boxing which was issues all over the world - just a different and some times challenging way to collect. For instance, it is easy to find a 1961 Topps Norm Cash, but a little more difficult to find the Venezuelan version.
    Wondo

• NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I collect them too. One of my favorites is a Cuban card of Red Adams - who became the Dodger pitching coach for many years.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • DaClydeDaClyde Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Has anyone ever found any of the cards from SportCards.it issued for the Italian Baseball League in 2002 & 2003? Most of what I seem to do in the hobby these days is attempt to document checklists of baseball card sets from anywhere but the USA. If you do a Google Image search just for "SportCards.it" you can see some images of the cards from those years, but I've never actually found the cards anywhere. I've found baseball cards from Taiwan, Korea, Mexico, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Australia, Costa Rica (so far only found images, not actual cards), Canada, Japan, Dominican Republic, The Netherlands and Austria. Researching in all these different languages is a challenge, but I love finding something no one else in the mainstream of the hobby is aware of.
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DaClyde

I've found baseball cards from Taiwan, Korea, Mexico, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Australia, Costa Rica (so far only found images, not actual cards), Canada, Japan, Dominican Republic, The Netherlands and Austria. Researching in all these different languages is a challenge, but I love finding something no one else in the mainstream of the hobby is aware of.

In addition to all the ones you've listed there, the UK, South Africa and Spain have issued some nice baseball cards too.

I've got a relatively obscure 1959 Ted Williams card issued in Spain that was subbed on a pending order at the moment, for example.

• I own a 1990 Futera Australian baseball uncut sheet featuring the Sydney Metros and Perth Heat. Pretty strange and obscure item.
  • skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    I started collecting Korean cards (2014-2015) after I moved here in 2013.
  • Lately I've picked up quite a few Venezuelan Topps. Falling in love with those issues.