Home Sports Talk

Winners of the 4 Golf Majors in 2014.

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
No order, but I have the winners as Matt Kuchar, Jim Furyk, Adam Scott and Zach Johnson.

Woodie will lurk and compete but come up short in the big events. probably win 3 lesser tournaments.

Comments

• jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I think Jason Day finally breaks through this year. I think Tiger gets one, too.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    El Tigre gets one this year. Also, Henrik Stenson, Jason Day (I agree, jdip), and Lee Westwood (too talented; time for #1).

Player on the cusp: Jordan Spieth. 20-yr-old with sick game. A budding superstar, mark my words.

For those reading this, it would behoove you to be watching this forum the week of The Masters, as I plan on hosting a contest. That's all I'm going to say. image
  • estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    Great thread....

I'll go with:

Harris English @ The Masters
    Jason Day @ Pinehurst in U.S. Open
    Tiger Woods @ Royal Liverpool (won there before) in The Open
    Bill Haas @ Valhalla Club in Louisville

Others I like for Majors are: Henley (Masters), Kuchar (any of them), Dustin Johnson (PGA)
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Tiger was the best golfer in 2013, and will break through his drought and win one in 2014. He's just playing too well to not win one this year.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember when it was a foregone conclusion that Tiger would eclipse Nicklaus' record 18 majors? Will be interesting to see if he can match that number at some point. Nicklaus won his last major at age 46, which was a pretty advanced age for a major title. Tiger just turned 38.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    I forgot about Stenson...if he can continue his 2013 form into 2014, he should win one too.

Speith is great..he'll win his fair share of majors, but probably not this year.

galaxy - looking forward to the contest. I was lucky enough to have a friend win the lottery for Monday practice round tickets, it'll be my first time at Augusta! Counting down the days....

<< <i>galaxy - looking forward to the contest. I was lucky enough to have a friend win the lottery for Monday practice round tickets, it'll be my first time at Augusta! Counting down the days.... >>

That is awesome. I have never been, so I'll be living vicariously through you. I'd love to see pictures when you return!
    there will certainly be plenty taken, I'll be sure to post a few...
  • lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Tiger was the best golfer in 2013

Lets say that Tiger was the best "regular season" golfer last year. I think that his "post season" victories (Majors) will be hard to come by for him for the remainder of his career. 5 years ago, I think odds were better that he would win 25 majors than him failing to win 19. But, too many things have gotten in the way (ego, off field distractions, injuries and most importantly, too many good golfers 10 to 15 years younger than him. I think he will be lucky to win 2 more majors in his career.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    Tiger, Zach, Tiger, Zach.

I like them both so let them each win 2.
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Have not seen Rory named yet. If he gets used to the new Nike ball, watch out.

<< <i>Have not seen Rory named yet. If he gets used to the new Nike ball, watch out. >>

I don't think it has anything to do with the ball. It has everything to do with the ball and chain. Now that he has finally stopped jacking around with Wozniacki, I expect him to return to beast mode sooner rather than later.
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Have not seen Rory named yet. If he gets used to the new Nike ball, watch out. >>

I don't think it has anything to do with the ball. It has everything to do with the ball and chain. Now that he has finally stopped jacking around with Wozniacki, I expect him to return to beast mode sooner rather than later. >>

Hope you are correct. Still, changing equipment (golf) mid career is often dicey.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Woods: Masters
    Mickelson: U.S. Open
    Woods: Open Championship
    Stenson: PGA
    Decided to revisit my 1/5/14 predictions. Rather interesting.

<< <i>El Tigre gets one this year. Also, Henrik Stenson, Jason Day (I agree, jdip), and Lee Westwood (too talented; time for #1). >>

Tiger had won five tournaments in '13 and clearly I thought there was a glimmer of hope. Oops. A little over 18 months later and now the only time I would even consider allowing his name to roll off my fingers is if the question is, "Who in the field is going to come in last?"

I didn't even pick Rory. Geez!

<< <i>Player on the cusp: Jordan Spieth. 20-yr-old with sick game. A budding superstar, mark my words. >>

Much better.

• << <i>

<< <i>Player on the cusp: Jordan Spieth. 20-yr-old with sick game. A budding superstar, mark my words. >>

Much better. >>

By the time you posted this he had already won the US Amateur twice, had one PGA victory, one 2nd place finish, one 4th place finish and was named rookie of the year for 2013. Wasn't much of a stretch to say he was a future star on tour.

I'm hoping he can dominate the tour like Tiger did. I'm an avid golfer but like many others, I only watched it on TV for many years if Tiger was playing. Spieth has brought quite a bit of life back to the PGA tour.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Much better. >>

By the time you posted this he had already won the US Amateur twice, had one PGA victory, one 2nd place finish, one 4th place finish and was named rookie of the year for 2013. Wasn't much of a stretch to say he was a future star on tour.

I'm hoping he can dominate the tour like Tiger did. I'm an avid golfer but like many others, I only watched it on TV for many years if Tiger was playing. Spieth has brought quite a bit of life back to the PGA tour. >>

The first time I saw him play in person was the first part of '13, prior to him really blowing up. I watched him for 36 holes and vividly recall very few people following his group. Those days are over. Although this thread isn't going to reflect it, what I said in Jan of '14 about him becoming a budding superstar -- a term I don't toss around loosely -- is how I felt back then.

The thing that makes Jordan so great is his mental fortitude. I never once gathered that he had the mindset of a (then) 19-year-old. Fast forward to yesterday's round. He had a 3-shot lead going into 17, and he subsequently put his worst swing of the week on the ball. When he stepped onto 18 tee box, poof. That seemingly insurmountable lead was gone in the blink of an eye. Whereas a lot of players would implode at that juncture, he proceeded to stripe two shots to within ~15 feet on an almost 600-yard par 5. Granted, he needed DJ to throw up his lunch on the green a few minutes later, but the point is that when something goes wrong in his round, he typically follows it up with something extraordinarily good. There are a lot of cornerbacks in the NFL who would love to steal his psyche.

As Tiger fades into oblivion, golf is going to be just fine, courtesy of the latest Jordan to own his sport.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Much better. >>

I'm hoping he can dominate the tour like Tiger did. I'm an avid golfer but like many others, I only watched it on TV for many years if Tiger was playing. Spieth has brought quite a bit of life back to the PGA tour. >>

I give props to Galaxy for mentioning Spieth. I know I had not heard of him at that time. So what happens to the next two majors? Can Spieth do it?

• << <i>

As Tiger fades into oblivion, golf is going to be just fine, courtesy of the latest Jordan to own his sport. >>

The Open next month is going to have drastically increased ratings because of Spieth. Just imagine the weekend ratings if somehow Rory and Tiger were in contention.