Home U.S. Coin Forum

So who are the young up and comers in numismatics?

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
Please recommend full time dealers only. Provide a link if possible.

Thank you..

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Define young.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I work with a B+M and i'm 21...not necessarily full time but there is a website >>

Working in B&M qualifies, thanks. Link ?

MGlicker....if I have to put a number on it I would say < 35.

• highwayman1highwayman1 Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Define young. >>

+1

In coins? Under 60. But in reality, more like under 40.

There are many rising stars, the auction houses and tpg's have numerous I can think of.

I know Heritage and SB both have some seriously talented youngsters.

"He who loves silver will not be satisfied with silver, nor he who loves abundance, with increase. This also is vanity.
    When goods increase, they increase who eat them -- so what profit have the owners, except to see them with their eyes?"
    "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man’s all.
    For God will bring every work into judgment, including every secret thing, whether good or evil."
    "Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."
    http://www.youtube.com/user/alohabibleprophecy/videos

• ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    Brett Charville of Standard Numismatics
    Lance Hipps of Hipps Rare Coins
    Ryan Carroll at Heritage

Those guys are as sharp as anyone in the business.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge

<< <i>

<< <i>Define young. >>

+1

In coins? Under 60. But in reality, more like under 40.

There are many rising stars, the auction houses and tpg's have numerous I can think of.

I know Heritage and SB both have some seriously talented youngsters. >>

Under 35....name some names.

• GEN is remarkably well rounded and respected for any age let alone his. He has my vote.

<< <i>GEN is remarkably well rounded and respected for any age let alone his. He has my vote. >>

Who is GEN ?

• was just looking through your acquaintances (?) web site and saw this coin with a big scratch in a problem free holder? Is that market acceptable for this type of coin?

Text
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>was just looking through your acquaintances (?) web site and saw this coin with a big scratch in a problem free holder? Is that market acceptable for this type of coin?

Text >>

Yes. Not significant.
    Lance.
  • highwayman1highwayman1 Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>was just looking through your acquaintances (?) web site and saw this coin with a big scratch in a problem free holder? Is that market acceptable for this type of coin?

Text >>

Yes. Not significant.
    Lance. >>

+1

Remember how small a G$1 is.

"He who loves silver will not be satisfied with silver, nor he who loves abundance, with increase. This also is vanity.
    When goods increase, they increase who eat them -- so what profit have the owners, except to see them with their eyes?"
    "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man’s all.
    For God will bring every work into judgment, including every secret thing, whether good or evil."
    "Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."
    http://www.youtube.com/user/alohabibleprophecy/videos

• GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭
    Ryan Carrol is an all star as is Brett. Matt Kleinstuber (sp?) At nfc has a great eye and does well upgrading. I wouldn't put myself at the level of brett or Ryan but I think I have a fair amount of respect in the numismatic community. Having either with capthenway I also have better research training than many of the sub 35s
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Text >>

Are you talking about the small scuff in the lustre before the face? You'd be happier not buying it.

But what makes you think anyone on this forum has the moral or financial authority to pronounce a coin "market acceptable". Market acceptability is mathematical and amoral, not a function of personal preference.

I've known James for close to 15 years. Very sharp and a very straight shooter.

Also, for another young star, and a big one, try Matt Kleinstuber of NFC.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • thanks for the info on the coin and I did blank the size of the coin lol
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll reaffirm ColonelJessup's recommendation for Matt Kleinstuber at NFC. The kid has the eyes of a hawk.

And the Colonel knows another fast track numismatist, by the name of David McCarthy (Kagin's). image

While I'm at it - Matt Lerner of Frederick Coin Exchange is another overachiever to watch.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

<< <i>I'll reaffirm ColonelJessup's recommendation for Matt Kleinstuber at NFC. The kid has the eyes of a hawk.

And the Colonel knows another fast track numismatist, by the name of David McCarthy (Kagin's). image

While I'm at it - Matt Lerner of Frederick Coin Exchange is another overachiever to watch. >>

Young to me, perhaps, but likely >35, at least in terms of actual miles. I will pay for this remark at FUN. . image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with many of the names already stated above. I also know that there are a few younger people on the forum who deal in coins a significant amount of time, but maybe not truly considered full time since they are students. Two off the top of my are Valente151 and Stealer.

Hope this info helps.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!

<< <i>I agree with many of the names already stated above. I also know that there are a few younger people on the forum who deal in coins a significant amount of time, but maybe not truly considered full time since they are students. Two off the top of my are Valente151 and Stealer.

Hope this info helps. >>

Valenti151 was in one of my Summer Seminar grading classes. Yet he is doing very well.. . image

Stealer was beyond my help. He now sometimes corrects my grading via PM. For him . image, for me. . image
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>

<< <i>I agree with many of the names already stated above. I also know that there are a few younger people on the forum who deal in coins a significant amount of time, but maybe not truly considered full time since they are students. Two off the top of my are Valente151 and Stealer.

Hope this info helps. >>

Valenti151 was in one of my Summer Seminar grading classes. Yet he is doing very well.. . image

Stealer was beyond my help. He now sometimes corrects my grading via PM. For him . image, for me. . image >>

Stealer has got the eye I just forgot he dabbles in selling.
  • EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easton Collection
  • bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope this info helps. >>

I would also add illini420 to the list of up and coming numismatists that frequent this forum.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>GEN is remarkably well rounded and respected for any age let alone his. He has my vote. >>

Who is GEN ? >>

GEN = board member here. GoldenEyeNumismatics

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Hope this info helps. >>

I would also add illini420 to the list of up and coming numismatists that frequent this forum. >>

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

• cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    In the Pacific Northwest we have Ryan Hoolahan of Seattle and Revick Galstann of Toledo, OR

<< <i>In the Pacific Northwest we have Ryan Hoolahan of Seattle and Revick Galstann of Toledo, OR >>

I know who Revick is..... and, well, he would remind me of someone in a couple of very touchy and hot threads about a self-proclaimed (in this thread) "young up and comers".....I'm just glad I have a good enough bit of knowledge of AT coins ... kept my son and a yn friend from being convinced to buy a few, raw, coins that were pretty obviously AT jobs by someone.

Who is Ryan and where does he work/represent?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Bochiman, don't you know who Ryan Hoolahan is? Don't you live in the Tacoma area?

Ryan Hoolahan has Bellevue Rare Coins in Bellevue, WA, West Seattle Coin Shop, and another shop in Lynnwood. Bellevue RC advertises EVERYWHERE (on transit buses, radio, tv, et.) Some try to speculate what his monthly advertising expense is (probably more than many of us earn annually.)
    His father was the late Pat Hoolahan who was a Pac-NW wholesale dealer from the late-1970's to his passing about 4-5 years ago.

Ryan received much mentoring from Larry Lee of Tallahassee(?), FL before opening stores in the Seattle metropolitan area.

Ring a bell?
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely agree about Goldeneye, especially if you are buying seated coins. I believe his EBay business is now called Yankee Coins.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

<< <i>Bochiman, don't you know who Ryan Hoolahan is? Don't you live in the Tacoma area?

Ryan Hoolahan has Bellevue Rare Coins in Bellevue, WA, West Seattle Coin Shop, and another shop in Lynnwood. Bellevue RC advertises EVERYWHERE (on transit buses, radio, tv, et.) Some try to speculate what his monthly advertising expense is (probably more than many of us earn annually.)
    His father was the late Pat Hoolahan who was a Pac-NW wholesale dealer from the late-1970's to his passing about 4-5 years ago.

Ryan received much mentoring from Larry Lee of Tallahassee(?), FL before opening stores in the Seattle metropolitan area.

Ring a bell? >>

Not Tacoma but actually closer to BRC....I think I know who he is now, thanks. I have run into most of them that work the counter at BRC, if he works it. If he stays in the back and is the "I have to go check on this" guy, then I don't know him. I don't go to BRC too often, as I hate downtown areas (Seattle, Bellevue, etc) and one always has to ask for certain items as what they have in the displays is not usually that appealing to me. Since I have a few specific things I am looking for, but then also like things that jump out at me, it is a pain to have to wait for someone, ask if they have anything like it, that isn't on display, and then feel guilty when what they bring me isn't worth it.

Yes...they certainly do advertise a lot. Seems to have worked for them in the big bullion run-up the last few years.
    I recall, about a year or two ago, so many people in there that it was at least a 30-45 minute wait after you picked a number. I also recall one of the guys, who liked to wear gold chains and look all cool get upset as he had parked his nice expensive car where it wasn't supposed to be parked (parking is terrible in that area) and it was towed because someone from another business had asked them not to park there....obstructing THEIR customers....and he did it anyway. He went in and laid into the hourly workers like it was their fault.

Didn't know Pat either image
    I'm just a numismatic nobody.

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had an experience with a Hoolihan of WEST SEATTLE COINS about 10 years ago.

There was a thread about them circa 2006-7. Suggest you use the search engine.

Rarely does a leopard change his spots.
    Have a nice day
    It seems certain forum members have some negative opinions of the two individuals I offered in response to the original post:

I include Ryan and Revick as "up-and-coming" because they're YOUNG and VERY ACTIVE in the numismatic trade. The original thread poses the question as to who is such.

The OT mentions nothing about "reputation" (which I offer no opinion since I'm busy hunting down coins for resale, primarily to other dealers.)

How many dealers when, in their younger years were considered "up-and-coming", and now have "already made it" who have less than stellar reputations????

<< <i>It seems certain forum members have some negative opinions of the two individuals I offered in response to the original post:

I include Ryan and Revick as "up-and-coming" because they're YOUNG and VERY ACTIVE in the numismatic trade. The original thread poses the question as to who is such.

The OT mentions nothing about "reputation" (which I offer no opinion since I'm busy hunting down coins for resale, primarily to other dealers.)

How many dealers when, in their younger years were considered "up-and-coming", and now have "already made it" who have less than stellar reputations???? >>

Sorry, but when I see a thread meant as a positive, which I took "up and coming" to be, I also look at reputation.
    I have had some fair dealings with Revick, and helped someone else with him as well. Those were on PCGS slabbed coins.
    I have also had some interactions where I am glad I knew enough to walk away. Those were on 3rd world slabs and raw coins (to me, one and the same level of coin).

Sure, youth is there. Sure, "very active" is there. Without a good reputation though, I wouldn't call them "up and coming" as that is more of a positive connotation than I would place on some folks currently.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file