Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2 questions regarding PSA graded cellos.

I have 2 questions regarding the grading and selling of PSA graded cellos, especially vintage.

1. I know that the grade of an unopened pack is dependent on the condition and seal of the wrapper, and in the case of cellos, the centering of the top card. That being said, if the wrapper is in pristine condition and the top card is centered well within the lenient PSA 10 parameters, does it matter at all if the top card has obvious printing imperfections or even a dinged corner or 2? Has anyone ever seen a PSA 9 or 10 graded cello where the top card on its own would be lucky to grade a PSA 7 because of aforementioned flaws?

2. Since the pop numbers of some of the vintage cellos are so low (many being 0), how does one go about establishing a good price on these other than to list on Ebay and let the market determine. I have a 1976 cello at PSA with Tom Seaver as the top card. The card is definitely centered within PSA 10 pack standards, and the wrapper and seal looked extremely tight. Any ideas on what a PSA 9 or if I get lucky, a PSA 10 would go for?

Thanks for any and all input, Tom

Comments

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have 2 questions regarding the grading and selling of PSA graded cellos, especially vintage.

1. I know that the grade of an unopened pack is dependent on the condition and seal of the wrapper, and in the case of cellos, the centering of the top card. That being said, if the wrapper is in pristine condition and the top card is centered well within the lenient PSA 10 parameters, does it matter at all if the top card has obvious printing imperfections or even a dinged corner or 2? Has anyone ever seen a PSA 9 or 10 graded cello where the top card on its own would be lucky to grade a PSA 7 because of aforementioned flaws?

2. Since the pop numbers of some of the vintage cellos are so low (many being 0), how does one go about establishing a good price on these other than to list on Ebay and let the market determine. I have a 1976 cello at PSA with Tom Seaver as the top card. The card is definitely centered within PSA 10 pack standards, and the wrapper and seal looked extremely tight. Any ideas on what a PSA 9 or if I get lucky, a PSA 10 would go for?

Thanks for any and all input, Tom >>

In my experience, centering of the top card on the cello is the only contributing factor to the grade of the pack. They will not downgrade the pack grade for PD like they would with a card, or even if a corner is dinged by the tight wrap.

A PSA 9 76 cello with Seaver on top would likely retail for around $225 or so. A 10 is very rare for any pack from the 70s, so hard to judge value there. I'd say $400 or more.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have 2 questions regarding the grading and selling of PSA graded cellos, especially vintage.

1. I know that the grade of an unopened pack is dependent on the condition and seal of the wrapper, and in the case of cellos, the centering of the top card. That being said, if the wrapper is in pristine condition and the top card is centered well within the lenient PSA 10 parameters, does it matter at all if the top card has obvious printing imperfections or even a dinged corner or 2? Has anyone ever seen a PSA 9 or 10 graded cello where the top card on its own would be lucky to grade a PSA 7 because of aforementioned flaws? >>

I don't believe so as I've seen PSA 9 cellos where the top card would only grade out to a 7.

<< <i>2. Since the pop numbers of some of the vintage cellos are so low (many being 0), how does one go about establishing a good price on these other than to list on Ebay and let the market determine. I have a 1976 cello at PSA with Tom Seaver as the top card. The card is definitely centered within PSA 10 pack standards, and the wrapper and seal looked extremely tight. Any ideas on what a PSA 9 or if I get lucky, a PSA 10 would go for? >>

I would say a PSA 9 Seaver would go for $200 to $250 and a PSA 10 would go north of $300. Does yours look like this?

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input guys.

Yes CPAMike. My pack looks very much like that with excellent centering and a good, clean, tight wrap.