Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1913-S Type1 Buffalo Delamination Error Premium?

What percentage of premium if any can be expected for this delamination? also opinions on the Buff are appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Hard to say. A lot of collectors think of laminations as defects, thus depreciating the value...
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

I hate to give you bad news, but there really isn't much of a premium for delamination for Buffalo nickels. In fact, such errors typically DECREASE the value of this series.

Without the delamination, I'd grade it AU50. But if sent for grading, it would likely BB.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Forgot to add: Delamination is no uncommon for Buffalo nickels.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a major defect in my opinion that seriously hurts the value.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Ah the fickle market. Lincoln cents with Lam issues get a primum along with others but Buffs don't good to know.
  • Options

<< <i>Ah the fickle market. Lincoln cents with Lam issues get a primum along with others but Buffs don't good to know. >>

The only people buying Lincolns with lamination defects are people that want to say they own a "genuine, one-of-a-kind mint error" image
  • Options

<< <i>Ah the fickle market. Lincoln cents with Lam issues get a primum along with others but Buffs don't good to know. >>

Would delam on a mint state S-VDB or 14-D Lincoln cent increase its value?

• Options

<< <i>

Would delam on a mint state S-VDB or 14-D Lincoln cent increase its value? >>

Ummmm, no. Personally, if I'm gonna be spending that much on a coin, I want one free of distracting, detracting defects. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Would delam on a mint state S-VDB or 14-D Lincoln cent increase its value? >>

Ummmm, no. Personally, if I'm gonna be spending that much on a coin, I want one free of distracting, detracting defects. image >>

Me too. image

Any premium on a delaminated Lincoln cent would likely be on a piece of low value. Also, delam is far less common on Lincoln cents as opposed to Buffalo nickels. This likely changes the equation.

• Options
    Text

Look at this one. There are a lot of lam errors on ebay right now that are asking premiums.
  • Options

<< <i>Text

Look at this one. There are a lot of lam errors on ebay right now that are asking premiums. >>

Key word - "asking" image
  • Options

<< <i>Text

Look at this one. There are a lot of lam errors on ebay right now that are asking premiums. >>

John - I do understand your frustration. But asking for a premium and getting a premium are two different things. Still, your Buffalo nickel is cool.

• Options
    Ha I do understand the difference image

I was looking through completed sales and there is a premium paid on many but not all, this is most likely from Lam error collectors.
  • Options

<< <i>Ha I do understand the difference image

I was looking through completed sales and there is a premium paid on many but not all, this is most likely from Lam error collectors. >>

The one thing your Buffalo nickel has going for it is that it's a Type 1 which was, of course, only made for a few months. A die hard error collector may press to add this piece, but the laws of supply and demand suggests he wouldn't need to.

• Options
    That is a very true and astute observation, I think I will list it on the bay and see what happens. Time to clear out some stuff to make room for some other purchases I need!!!image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, the lamination reduces the value of the coin significantly.

Whenever I have tried to sell such coins in the past they have been heavily discounted.

If you can find a "live one" on eBay who will pay a premium sell it quick and don't look back!

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file