Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

On The Ripping Block Tonite (74T, 84T, 84F, 84D)

Well today is my birthday. Tomorrow is a new year. So sometime around 9pm PST, it'll still be my birthday, but the year will have turned on the east, and it will be the 40th and 30th year since these cards last saw the light of day, so I will release them from their wax prison.

I've been waiting patiently for over 7 months to rip this 74 pack. It will be the oldest wax I've ripped to date. This one has a small tear in the side. I have 2 left. One slated for grading and the other for its 50th anniversary. The 84s are merely an appetizer.

Looking forward to a hopefully lucky birthday rip.

Will update thread with pics later.
52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Winfield RC centered! Good luck!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Best of luck Jim. Let Owen open one of the '84 packs.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Not that I condone ripping packs, but at least you have a good reason. Some other guys around here get into a ripping frenzy and can't say no. You know who you are. image

Good luck on the rip. Here's hoping you get that Winfield, but a Seaver would be nice too!!! image

Edited: Darn you Bill Gates!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Love to see a Kaline out of the 74 pack!! Remember buying packs hoping for any Tiger cards, but really wanting the Kaline card!!
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck.

Since we now stay in for new years - I'll check in for the scans!

Hope ya pull one of these - tho this one is OPC:

Mike

<< <i>Good luck.

image >>

Mike, is that your Winfield OPC RC? I have another raw 74 OPC pack on the way to rip--that card is one I'd love to pull from a pack!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭
    Good luck and Happy Birthday!

I will be watching.

aconte

<< <i>Good luck and Happy Birthday!

I will be watching.

aconte >>

Aren't you always watching? image

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.

<< <i>

<< <i>Good luck and Happy Birthday!

I will be watching.

aconte >>

Aren't you always watching? image >>

A little bird told me he might be ripping soon, too. image

Mike,

True. I got a couple mini packs itching and a ripping soon. Hope you are still around to witness the crossing to the dark side!

aconte

<< <i>Mike,

True. I got a couple mini packs itching and a ripping soon. Hope you are still around to witness the crossing to the dark side!

aconte >>

Collecting:

<< <i>

<< <i>Mike,

aconte >>

image >>

Heehee.....

I blame Tim....

aconte

<< <i>Mike,

aconte >>

Mike

<< <i>

<< <i>Good luck.

>>

Mike, is that your Winfield OPC RC? I have another raw 74 OPC pack on the way to rip--that card is one I'd love to pull from a pack! >>

Sure is Tim.

And I picked it up in the most unusual place - Coach's Corner. I used to go over there to find stuff that no one wanted - hidden between the crap. I picked this up for 67 bucks. Thought it was a good price.

Happy New Year!
    Mike

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Mike,

aconte >>

image >>

Heehee.....

I blame Tim....

aconte >>

You are getting sleepy...sleepy...now repeat after me...

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Good luck.

image >>

Mike, is that your Winfield OPC RC? I have another raw 74 OPC pack on the way to rip--that card is one I'd love to pull from a pack! >>

Sure is Tim.

And I picked it up in the most unusual place - Coach's Corner. I used to go over there to find stuff that no one wanted - hidden between the crap. I picked this up for 67 bucks. Thought it was a good price.

Happy New Year! >>

Nice! That is an outstanding price, Mike! The 74 OPC Winfield is so much tougher than the Topps version. OPC are scarce enough but 74 OPC is the toughest OPC issue from that era to begin with.

Nice Winfield!!

aconte
  • totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 924 ✭✭✭
    Good luck on the rips. I've got a couple junk boxes I'm gonna be opening up here soon. 87 Donruss and 89 Fleer.

<< <i>Good luck on the rips. I've got a couple junk boxes I'm gonna be opening up here soon. 87 Donruss and 89 Fleer. >>

Love those 87 Donruss!!!

Collecting:
  • 7 months is certainly a long time to wait- Happy Birthday and good luck with your packs!
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Another 2 hours until both kids are down and ripping can commence.

It's been a great day, I've got a good little buzz on, and a solid rip would be icing on the cake.

Thanks for the good wishes. Fingers crossed.

Order will be:
    84T
    84F
    84D
    74T
    I like the buildup!! I'll be watching. I think I've heard that before. image

Collecting:
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed. Happy birthday.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

<< <i>Another 2 hours until both kids are down and ripping can commence.

It's been a great day, I've got a good little buzz on, and a solid rip would be icing on the cake.

Thanks for the good wishes. Fingers crossed.

Order will be:
    84T
    84F
    84D
    74T >>

Good luck--looking forward to seeing the cards!

<< <i>Nice Winfield!!

aconte >>

Thanx Tony.

Happy New Year!
    Mike

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice Winfield!!

aconte >>

Thanx Tony.

Happy New Year! >>

Happy New Year, Mike! It's like a CU impromptu get-together here tonight, LOL..

OK. Happy New Year to the East Coasters.

Kid's sleeping. Wife's cooking my mini beef wellingtons, and I'm downstairs ripping.

First appetizer was a bit underwhelming. Fergie looks good and most were centered well, but nothing being subbed here.

On to the Fleer
  • totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Good luck on the rips. I've got a couple junk boxes I'm gonna be opening up here soon. 87 Donruss and 89 Fleer. >>

Love those 87 Donruss!!! >>

Yeah, Mike I love those cards too. Got two boxes on black friday, wish I woulda got a few more to give me a ripping fix when I want one. I got through the Fleer, and then started chatting with friends on facebook about the 89 Fleer set. Most notably the Ripken error.

Got a Griffey, and a Johnson, no Billy Ripken card though. Had I got one, pretty certain it woulda been corrected anyway. The RJ card was error less, and the Tom Brookens and Mike Heath cards were also corrected. I'm just gonna assume that would be corrected as well had I got one.

Learned a little bit about the other 89 Fleer cards during that rip. I had no idea about the Randy Johnson Marlboro logo cards until tonight. Went back in some other 89 Fleer stars I just sorted out, and found one with the partial ad! Not gonna sub it, but it's still fun to stumble across it!

I think I'll save those Donruss for another night. It's 45 minutes to midnight here and I've only had one beer all day!
    Aaah man. If the Topps was underwhelming, the Fleer was somewhere below that.

The two on top are nice and Dewey and Goose was the star power. Yeesh.

These appetizers suck.

• << <i>These appetizers suck. >>

What did Nam scream out loud at CDNut's restaurant, Alex. I'll take "IWTDMBII" for $500. image

Snorto~

P.S. Good luck with the '74 main course!
    84 Donruss is no better. A nice Murphy. Big whoop.

It's rips like this that, even though I don't know him...I hear CPAMike in my head..."told ya so"

But I truck on and head into my main course. Though I will say, if it goes anything like these first 3, I may have to get into the 81 vending like Tim.

Quickly, can anyone name off a few low pop commons from 74.

I'll post card by card, but would be stoked to know in advance since commons seem to be the word of the day for me.

I'm heading up to check in wide and get a refill.

Thanks
    Even though CPAMike doesn't personally approve of this behavior, he wishes you nothing but minty fresh low pop cards!!! image

Collecting:
    LOL. Thanks man. Here goes nothing. 80s packs are easy. 70s packs give me a little bit of the hand shakes.

<< <i>LOL. Thanks man. Here goes nothing. 80s packs are easy. 70s packs give me a little bit of the hand shakes. >>

The first rip is always the toughest...I keep trying to tell Mike, it's all down hill from there.. image

<< <i>

<< <i>LOL. Thanks man. Here goes nothing. 80s packs are easy. 70s packs give me a little bit of the hand shakes. >>

The first rip is always the toughest...I keep trying to tell Mike, it's all down hill from there.. image >>

Shouldn't you be ripping through that 1981 vending box or something? image

Collecting:

<< <i>

<< <i>

The first rip is always the toughest...I keep trying to tell Mike, it's all down hill from there.. image >>

Shouldn't you be ripping through that 1981 vending box or something? image >>

I am multitasking, LOL..

First 2:
    Dang on the miscut Carbo--left side looked real nice, LOL!

Here's to getting at least a dead centered card in middle of pack.

Next 2:

I think I need a smoke and another drink.
    Matthews looks good, Jim!

That must be one big glass you're drinking from, Jim!

Last 4:
    This first one, for a split second teased me into thinking it was a Seaver...but no.
    And the wax card which is as close as I'd come to a Ryan.

Pretty disappointing evening of rips over here, but oh well. There were some decent lookers and a fun pack to open.

Hopefully I'll get pass out drunk and not let's test our luck drunk.

Happy New Year!!!
    Thanks for sharing your rip!

I would have loved to pull a Matlack as a kid. I remember people telling my dad he looked like him.

Collecting:
    Not a bad pack, Jim...Matthews is nice and House looks decent, too.

I love those horizontal shots, esp the Mets ones. image

Nice Seaver Tim! I woulda loved one of those.

So as 2013 passes in the West, I still had a 2013 FB double-pack that my son gave me for my birthday.

Nothing to get excited about, but a fun pack to rip. AP, Calvin, LeVeon, Honey Badger, a Rice, a cool mini Rivers and such.

I think I'm done.

<< <i>I think I'm done. >>

Me too. image

Collecting:
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love those horizontal shots, esp the Mets ones. image

image >>

Love that Seaver card also! Is that one of the 50 or so 9s from the Gaspipe horde?