Home U.S. Coin Forum

Regrade Versus Reconsideration ??

I submitted a large quantity of uncirculated coins ( mostly Morgan and Peace dollars and Franklin Halves ) to PCGS many years ago when they did not grant the "+" designation. I also understand that grading standards, over the years, may have relaxed slightly from an earlier very strict position. Most of my coins have been graded MS65 or higher by PCGS....some Morgans being noted as PL and DMPL, and virtually all Franklins as FBL. I feel many of them have a decent shot at a plus (+) or one full grade upward. I don't have any new "stickers" on them such as CAC. The coins have some old green labels and many with newer labels, with the last submissions probably about 10 years ago.

My question is this:

Would it be better to resubmit my coins for "regrade" or rather "reconsideration"?

Personally, I don't care whether the coins are reholdered or not ( unless someone feels that this is an important consideration ).

Does anyone feel that the coins might have a better chance of upgrading under one service or the other? Right now the lack of a premium upgrade fee with "regrade" seems to me to be more attractive and less costly as compared to "reconsideration". Please correct me if I am wrong in this respect.

Thanks, in advance, for any help / advice in resubmission strategy.

Ricardo

Comments

• Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Send them to CAC. Losing the older holders could be a step in the wrong direction, fyi. It's much cheaper to send coins to CAC, then take the coins that are gold or green stickered and decide what to do with those. CAC doesn't charge you for coins that don't get stickered, and those that get stickered cost $12. Gold stickered coins have a very high chance of upgrades, those are the coins I would send in for reconsideration. Depending on the holder, you could also try for the regrade. Keep in mind there are old holders that garner a premium, so if the upgrade isn't significant there's actually a chance that your coins are worth more in an old holder even at a lower grade than they would if you put the same coin in a higher grade new holder. This tends to be the case with common walkers and morgans.

Love to see some pics of the coins you think are undergraded.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there is that much of a difference between 2000-2004 PCGS grading and what we're seeing today. It might even be a tad stricter today. While the grading of plus coins is only a few years old, it's not that
    easy to get them, especially on regrades (imo). Before I sent in a "large quanity" of older graded Morgans for regrading I'd enlist some other opinions so I didn't waste time or money. How the group is submitted
    will help your cause. In my mind, shooting for + grades on common 64 and lower Morgan dollars isn't very cost effective. It's the 65's and higher plus better dates where it might benefit your wallet.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think there is that much of a difference between 2000-2004 PCGS grading and what we're seeing today. It might even be a tad stricter today. While the grading of plus coins is only a few years old, it's not that
    easy to get them, especially on regrades (imo). >>

What he said.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are unconcerned about retaining the old holder, and not worried about exposing your coin to the environment, then regrading is the way to go. As you know, you will not suffer the reconsideration premium fee for any upgrade.

CAC is usually a good alternative, especially if you get lucky with gold beans. Some folks feel a coin that appears undergraded in an old holder, let's say, might be disadvantaged by a green bean. I suppose you could always remove the sticker. But it will still remain in CAC's database, if anyone goes checking. (Didn't CAC change their policy recently, and a fee is paid for all coins, even those that don't sticker?)

Old holders can be popular with collectors who feel grading standards were tougher and/or because they appreciate the coin's stability over the years. So think hard about losing them. This is where the reconsideration service shines. You won't lose the old holder unless the coin can upgrade. (There is always the very low possibility of a downgrade but PCGS's guarantee will protect you with a payout.)

As to whether your odds are better with reconsideration or regrade, PCGS would say they are the same. Regrades, however, are always cracked and graders see the raw coin and not its former grade (we are told). Reconsideration decisions are made by examining the coin through its holder and a common feeling is that they tend to be more conservative, given that the entire coin can't be seen and they are looking through plastic.
    Lance.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you are unconcerned about retaining the old holder, and not worried about exposing your coin to the environment, then regrading is the way to go. As you know, you will not suffer the reconsideration premium fee for any upgrade.

CAC is usually a good alternative, especially if you get lucky with gold beans. Some folks feel a coin that appears undergraded in an old holder, let's say, might be disadvantaged by a green bean. I suppose you could always remove the sticker. But it will still remain in CAC's database, if anyone goes checking. (Didn't CAC change their policy recently, and a fee is paid for all coins, even those that don't sticker?)

Old holders can be popular with collectors who feel grading standards were tougher and/or because they appreciate the coin's stability over the years. So think hard about losing them. This is where the reconsideration service shines. You won't lose the old holder unless the coin can upgrade. (There is always the very low possibility of a downgrade but PCGS's guarantee will protect you with a payout.)

As to whether your odds are better with reconsideration or regrade, PCGS would say they are the same. Regrades, however, are always cracked and graders see the raw coin and not its former grade (we are told). Reconsideration decisions are made by examining the coin through its holder and a common feeling is that they tend to be more conservative, given that the entire coin can't be seen and they are looking through plastic.
    Lance. >>

SUBMISSION PRICING

Dealer Members

$12.50 per coin – Insured value up to $10,000
    $25.00 per coin – Insured value over $10,000
    Advanced Collector Members

$12.50 per coin – Insured value up to $10,000
    $25.00 per coin – Insured value over $10,000
    Please note: Rates for Advanced Collector Members have switched to Dealer Pricing as of January 1, 2013.
  • dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    post pictures and maybe the crew here can help you decide which to try something with

Submitting to CAC and then resubmitting any gold stickers is a waste of time and money. Last I heard, the gold sticker percentage was under 10% of coins submitted.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>post pictures and maybe the crew here can help you decide which to try something with

Submitting to CAC and then resubmitting any gold stickers is a waste of time and money. Last I heard, the gold sticker percentage was under 10% of coins submitted. >>

What percentage of CAC gold stickered coins [either in the holder or cracked out] bump a grade at PCGS?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file