Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

FINALLY PHOTOGRAPHED my 2 NEWMAN NEWPS

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
I admit there isn't anything exciting here, just a couple of Newman mementos.

I have a family member born in 1935. I thought the 1935 66FB Merc was okay for the grade, although admittedly not great. Then I noticed that exactly 100 lots prior and 100 years prior was the 1835 CBD in VF30 that also seemed okay for the grade and it also seemed to be another cheap coin to pursue. The pedigree fee on each coin was in the neighborhood of $100 each give or take which was acceptable to me at the time. I figure I have wasted a lot more than $200 in my life and walked away with nothing to show for it so that is how I justified these purchases. These are my first pedigree coins, besides a Benson Franklin that I owned for a while. The 1835 is now the oldest coin that I own. So there you go, that's my story.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Well the 1835 certainly looks extremely wholesome and the merc sure looks sweet, no question on the FB that is for sure...Congrads! >>

Thanks. I was pleased that the Merc's FB status was not in doubt.
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, I can certainly appreciate that CBD. No need to explain/justify your purchase to us. You wanted it, you bought it, and apparently you're happy.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    I'd love to have either coin in my collection ... or preferably, both! I like 'em. image
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job with the imaging image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a couple of nice images of a couple of nice coins. Congrats.

Mike
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. The envelopes came with the coins as well. Nothing too exciting. One has hand writing and the other is typed. I did photograph the slabs so that I could grab the insert artwork. I did not pay too close attention to what I was doing when I took the slab shots but here are the obverses. I peeled back the auction lot number stickers to take these shots.

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Two very wholesome looking coins.

Excellent pics, too.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>Two very wholesome looking coins.

Excellent pics, too. >>

Thanks Mike! image
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very wholesome coins with good photos.

Fly in the ointment: the bands are nowhere as full as they can be for this date. Looks like what we used to call a "whisper split". Irrelevant for souvenir purchases at this price level.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Whisper split". First I'd heard of that. I like it.

Great coins keyman. Congrats and thanks for the pics.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Fabulous looking Merc, love the spotty toning.
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice looking coins - congrats!
    Easton Collection
  • Options
    Thanks all.

CJ, you are absolutely correct. The bands are not rounded by any stretch of the imagination and they do not have a Grand Canyon split either but Mercs always bother me when there is a small hit on center bands or you think there might be a tiny interruption in the split but just aren't sure etc...it pleases me that that is not a problem at all here. Nice clean split all the way across. First I have heard of the term, Whisper Split, but I understand it and think it is very fitting in this case. No fly in the ointment for me. image

In regards to the photos, my goal is always to get the photos to look like the coins do in hand and I firmly believe I have done that here. With that said, you will notice luster is missing from the Merc. That is true in this case unfortunately. The coins are okay for the grades, nothing more.

Just to have a couple of souvenirs from the sale at this price level, I'm pleased with them for what they are. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file