Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First Experiment With Coin Photography

Well I was going through some old change and on a couple of coins I couldn't read the date and my magnifying glass was no help, so I pulled out the Nikon and took a couple of shots.

Setup is a Nikon D5100 with just the basic 18-55mm lens. No special lighting, just chandelier above the dining room table and the camera built-in flash.

I plan on educating myself on how to improve the setup, but recommendations would be helpful.

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The forum search tool is a very good place to start reading through the dozens of great threads on the subject.

Mark Goodman's Book is highly recommended by many although I just experimented until I was relatively happy with my results.

I show my latest make-shift setup in this thread...and then there is a link to my previous efforts later in the thread that discusses my camera settings.

Best of luck to you.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Search is going to be your friend here so start with that. Then pick some more photogenic subjects. image

Exactly how to improve your setup will depend on what you want out of it and how much you want to invest in it.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 5100 will take professional images with the right lens, no question. A flash is not recommended, all about the lighting, a 10 n 2 set up with desk-lamps is a common practice. Trial n error and more trial n error.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    here is my set up: Lights and a macro lens 100mm or better will be very helpful. Go to local camera shops and look at their used stuff. Copy stands can be had for 100-200.00 on ebay mine is a Kaiser that I got for 130.00 but that was a steal of a deal. If you want me to keep an eye out for you on stands just let me know and I will send you the links.
  • Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭
    Nice Rig!
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's not in sharp focus

use manual focus

A priority, f8

2 second exposure delayed firing

don't use flash, use ambient lighting, you'll need at least 2 lights

set manual white balance

use a copy stand
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options

<< <i>here is my set up: Lights and a macro lens 100mm or better will be very helpful. Go to local camera shops and look at their used stuff. Copy stands can be had for 100-200.00 on ebay mine is a Kaiser that I got for 130.00 but that was a steal of a deal. If you want me to keep an eye out for you on stands just let me know and I will send you the links.
    image >>

Please do!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file