Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why are there no MS 67+ (Plus) Peace Dollars? - UPDATE

BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
If you are familiar with the Peace dollar series you know that there are two MS68 coins, both common Philly dates. There are a total of 207 PCGS MS67 Peace Dollars (minus crackouts), mostly made up of the 1922, 1923, 1924, and 1925 Philly issues, yet there are no coins at this level which have yet received a plus grade. Surely somewhere there are some that should be in the top 10-15% for grade. Do you think our hosts have made a conscious decision to aviod this grade, or is it something else?

In the 1926-P issue, there are 186 MS66 coins, 2 MS66+ coins, and none higher.
In the 1935-P issue, there are 182 MS66 coins, 4 MS66+ coins, and none higher.

In Morgans, there are 9 MS69 coins with no 69+ coins. There are 5 MS68 DMPLs with no MS68+DMPL coins, 455 MS68 coins with 18 MS68+ coins, and 25 MS68PL coins with 1 MS68+PL.

Comments

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps none of the ones submitted in the last year qualify for the + grade? How many of those 207 coins were submitted since PCGS started the plus grading?

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In Morgans, there are 9 MS69 coins with no 69+ coins. >>

As a side note, I do not believe that PCGS will use a plus at the 69 grade.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    Too risky? And by that I mean, they don't want their coin to downgrade... Although with the new "reconsideration" service, that isn't really an issue.

Perhaps people can't justify re-submitting just for a shot at an upgrade. It is a gamble, and submission costs are higher than ever.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps most of them were graded before plus-grading existed? It's only been around 3-4 years.

OTOH, the fact that only two 68's exist suggests that very high grades like 67+ are elusive.
    Lance.
  • Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    Ultra high grade Peace Dollars are much tougher than Morgans. The one MS-68 that I saw was a total monster!
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    19 of 485 MS68 Morgans have earned a plus. That's 3.92%

0 of 207 MS67 Peace dollars have. At 4%, there should be 8 coins at MS67+.

That there isn't a single one is slightly interesting. Yes, Ultra high Peace dollars are tough, but I'd argue Ultra high grade Morgans are just as tough. PCGS graded 520,000 Peace dollars to find two top pops (MS68), but 2.7 million Morgans to find 9 top pops.

Corrected for clarity.
  • Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    FWIW, here are some PCGS stats for comparison:

Morgans Graded: MS-67 - 7998
    MS-67+ - 355
    MS-68 - 449
    MS-68+ - 17
    MS-69 - 8

Peace Dollars Graded: MS-67 - 207
    MS-68 - 2

And that is not counting PL and DMPL Morgans either. Ultra high grade Peace Dollars are much tougher.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>19 of 485 MS68 Morgans have earned a plus. That's 3.92%

0 of 207 MS67 Peace dollars have. At 4%, there should be 8 coins at MS67+. >>

I am not certain that there is a hard and fast rule that says 4 percent of MS67 coins will be designated a Plus grade. Maybe I am wrong.

• Options
    OK. I give up. Obviously everyone is taking what I'm saying far too literally.

Isn't a top pop Morgan (which happens to be an MS69 - 9/2.5 million) just as rare as a top pop Peace dollar (which happens to be an MS68 - 2/0.5 million)?

Aren't there plenty of plus grade Morgans a half-grade down from the top-pop Morgans?

A half-grade down from the top-pop Peace Dollars there are no plusses, despite a population of 207 MS67 coins.

That's all I'm saying. Obviously there is no rule that there should be 4% of them. It just seems odd to me that there isn't a single one.
  • Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK. I give up. Obviously everyone is taking what I'm saying far too literally.

Isn't a top pop Morgan (which happens to be an MS69 - 9/2.5 million) just as rare as a top pop Peace dollar (which happens to be an MS68 - 2/0.5 million)?

Aren't there plenty of plus grade Morgans a half-grade down from the top-pop Morgans?

A half-grade down from the top-pop Peace Dollars there are no plusses, despite a population of 207 MS67 coins.

That's all I'm saying. Obviously there is no rule that there should be 4% of them. It just seems odd to me that there isn't a single one. >>

Bryce, I hear you brother, and agree 100%.

Question: What is the price spread between a 68 and 68+ common date Morgan?

Common date 67 Peace are 4K - 6K, a 67+ Peace would probably bring 15K in auction.
  • Options
    Isn't that one of the great mysteries regarding the low survival rate across the board of peace dollars. Even gem examples of just about any date aside the early P mints are not every show type if coins. Says a lot for a series that was only lightly used and with the preponderance still in UNC.

Because of the low Quality of manufacturing and baggy survival rates, PCGS makes it almost impossible to get a 67. I am convinced most 67 were not graded recently as the modern standards have tightened on the series which coincides with the advent of plus grades. Meaning yesterday's 67 are many of today's 66+s. esp ATS

Also factor in a little politics; You want to see a 67+ made have someone forfeit thousands of dollars and submit a handful of NGC 68s at cross at any.
  • Options
    Peace$: 500,000 were graded
    Morgans: 2,800,00 were graded (almost 6x as many)

Peace$: 209 are higher than MS66.
    Morgans: 12,000 are higher than MS66.

Peace$: 47,000 are MS65 or above
    Morgans: 430,000 are MS65 or above

Peace$: 2 are MS68 or above
    Morgans: 500 are MS68 or above

High grade Peace dollars are obviously tougher.

Does this explain zero 67+ Peace$? Not entirely. But close enough.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Yeah, there's no question that Morgans come nicer. That's not the point. It may be that many peace 67s are weak for grade. I've seen many that I was disappointed in. Still there are over two hundred of them and not a single plus??

This thread would have been better off if I'd dropped the comparison to Morgans and simply asked "Why no 67+ peace dollars?" Everyone seems to be getting lost in the comparison when they're really not comparable.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS was very slow to give out MS67's in the early days.....let alone MS68's. MS67+ coins are like striking the mother lode. So I think they will be very cautious for a while in handing out such grades, especially when they
    create a manufactured "pop 1" rarity. I see some dealers taking stuff like this literally stating this is the only 66+ and there are half a dozen MS67's.....hence it should be worth nearly as much as the "commoner" MS67's. In
    essence, a MS67+ will probably compare well to low end MS68's.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Too risky? And by that I mean, they don't want their coin to downgrade... Although with the new "reconsideration" service, that isn't really an issue.

Perhaps people can't justify re-submitting just for a shot at an upgrade. It is a gamble, and submission costs are higher than ever. >>

1) To my knowledge there is no risk in a regrade, just cost.
    2) The price differentlal for the grade jump is orders of magnitude greater than the cost of the regrade.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They simply don't have shiny enough surfaces.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How many of those 207 coins were submitted since PCGS started the plus grading? >>

That's what I'm wondering...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>How many of those 207 coins were submitted since PCGS started the plus grading? >>

That's what I'm wondering... >>

Obviously only PCGS knows the answer to that, but I looked at the Heritage archives for all the MS67 Peace Dollars sold since June 2012. There have been 14 of them. 8 of the 14 were in the pronged edge-view slabs which were obviously graded (or perhaps reholdered) since the onset of plus grading. One was an OGH and 5 other coins were in holders that might have been before the onset of plus grades. For what it's worth, 9 of the 14 had green stickers.
  • Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I am working on a set of these, this is an interesting conversation and I thought that the results of my recent submission (that just came back yesterday) kind of encapsulated my views on Peace vs Morgan. Two of the coins that I sent in were a 1921 Morgan that was actually the first graded coin that I ever bought some 20 years ago. MS63 in an old rattler. Also sent in a 1924 Peace, MS64 in an old rattler.

Now I looked at the Morgan and thought that it was undergraded and had a 50/50 chance at being a 64. I also thought the Peace was undergraded and had maybe a 75% chance of going to 65. When I got the results back I was scratching my head. The Peace was still a 64....but the Morgan was now a 65. I never would have pegged it at a 65. Similarly, my previous submission to get some NGC coins I had moved to PCGS plastic generated similar results. My Peace dollar crossed at grade, but both of my Morgans went from 66's to 66+. In the 'quality for the grade' concept I thought all three were in similar positions.

So from my experience the distance travelled between a whole number grade and the next grade, or the plus in between, for Peace dollars increases as you move past 64 much more than it does for Morgans. That is why I see fewer of the plus grades on the Peace dollars when I think that there are examples out there that qualify. Why is this? No idea. And I am sure that there are many who disagree with me. This is only my opinion.
  • Options
    I noticed Coinfacts now shows a 1925 P in 67+.

Of course this has happened as a direct result of this thread. image
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I noticed Coinfacts now shows a 1925 P in 67+.

Of course this has happened as a direct result of this thread. image >>

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Too risky? And by that I mean, they don't want their coin to downgrade... Although with the new "reconsideration" service, that isn't really an issue.

Perhaps people can't justify re-submitting just for a shot at an upgrade. It is a gamble, and submission costs are higher than ever. >>

If your trying to get a + on an MS-67 Peace dollar, the 50 bucks does not even cross your mind! image
  • Options
    Exactly. A 67 is a $6-7k coin. A 68 is a $70-90k coin. Getting the first 67+ is like winning the lottery. BTW, the new 67+ coin is the new plate coin in CoinFacts. It looks pretty nice. Not in a registry. Wonder whose it is.....
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, the irony if the 67+ were a crackout attempt of an existing 68.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking at some of the 67 tru-views there's a lot of them IMHO more deserving of the + then the first 1925 which was graded as such.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>Oh, the irony if the 67+ were a crackout attempt of an existing 68. >>

Anyone that cracks one of the two extant 68 peace dollars has a screw loose.
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I noticed Coinfacts now shows a 1925 P in 67+. >>

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Exactly. A 67 is a $6-7k coin. A 68 is a $70-90k coin. Getting the first 67+ is like winning the lottery. BTW, the new 67+ coin is the new plate coin in CoinFacts. It looks pretty nice. Not in a registry. Wonder whose it is.....

>>

I have never submitted any of my Peace Dollars, but........now that there is a new lottery in town I've got four that are going in early next week. Maybe PCGS is starting to level the playing field?

Is NGC easier on Peace $$? Maybe I'll submit to NCG and then try to cross 'em.

OINK
  • Options
    ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see a MS69 morgan. image
    Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Oh, the irony if the 67+ were a crackout attempt of an existing 68. >>

Anyone that cracks one of the two extant 68 peace dollars has a screw loose. >>

Yeah, and nobody in this hobby has any screws loose. image

Homework for the weekend is to find this coin in its previous holder on Heritage.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd like to see a MS69 morgan. image >>

I've seen two in PCGS holders; I'm disappointed to say that neither impressed me.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i><<Exactly. A 67 is a $6-7k coin. A 68 is a $70-90k coin. Getting the first 67+ is like winning the lottery. BTW, the new 67+ coin is the new plate coin in CoinFacts. It looks pretty nice. Not in a registry. Wonder whose it is.....

>>

I have never submitted any of my Peace Dollars, but........now that there is a new lottery in town I've got four that are going in early next week. Maybe PCGS is starting to level the playing field?

Is NGC easier on Peace $$? Maybe I'll submit to NCG and then try to cross 'em.

OINK >>

I crossed an NCG 1922 Peace dollar at 67. But that was against long odds.

Save your money. An NGC 67 is not going to persuade PCGS.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file