Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

Sold

O.K. guys. This is the only ancient coin in my collection.
I am trying to consolidate a little. I have no idea what I paid for it.
If anyone needs it send me a p.m. and an offer.

If it's worth millions, someone let me know. image

Comments

• Options
    It is indeed a Roman Denarius

it's of the Emperor Trajan (98-117AD), one of the good guys

worth <$50
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I think it is a stretch to call Trajan one of the "good guys."

He was not one of the raving lunatic emperors like Caligula, Nero or Domitian. However, he persecuted Jews and Christians and countless thousands died during his various military operations.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it is a stretch to call Trajan one of the "good guys."

He was not one of the raving lunatic emperors like Caligula, Nero or Domitian. However, he persecuted Jews and Christians and countless thousands died during his various military operations. >>

I think by "good guys" he meant the "5 good emperors." He didn't make up that terminology, I think it was either invented to popularized by Gibbon.

I was talking to my co-worker the other day about Roman history and Trajan, she got pretty sore, she is Romanian and apparently the conquest of Dacia is still a sore spot with some people even ~2000 years later image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the Roman point of view, Trajan could probably be considered "one of the good guys". After all, it was during his reign that the empire reached its greatest geographical extent; its "high water mark", if you will.

Pretty much all of our discussions of ancient history are kind of like Monday-morning quarterbacking, anyway. It's fun to discuss around the water cooler.

Here's a Trajan denarius I have.

Cost me somewhere in the region of $45-ish before slabbing. (So why'd I spend another $35-ish to slab it, you ask? Good question. Just for giggles, I reckon.)

Not so far off from yours, gradewise. Maybe a teensy bit better hair detail on the portrait, that's all.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    oakcoinoakcoin Posts: 187 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    I was talking to my co-worker the other day about Roman history and Trajan, she got pretty sore, she is Romanian and apparently the conquest of Dacia is still a sore spot with some people even ~2000 years later image >>

Conquest by Rome is still a sore point for a lot of ethnic groups, and for good reason.
  • Options
    this makes 6 replies and no one is interested in buying the coin, I feel bad for the guy
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never mind my coins for sale being the topic of discussion, as long as it's not disruptive of the sale. Besides, it's a free bump.

And hey, that's a decent denarius. I just already have one. I think the posting of mine (and the price) was fairly relevant, since our two are fairly similar in grade range.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My mistake. It was sold and I forgot to update. image