Home Sports Talk
Options

Leslie Frasier GONE!

Vikings fired Frasier a little while ago

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very likeable guy, hate to see him go.

Let's hope the Vikings can get a great coach, they have some talent and will get a high draft pick next year.

Love to see them move up and get Clowney or Anthony Barr!! Viking pass rush has been slipping a bit and with the possibility of losing Jared Allen, I feel that is a must area to address. Defense gave up about 30 points per game, way too much if you want to be a playoff team.

Hopefully there will be a good quarterback in the second round, supposed to be quite a few in this year's draft.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surprising but not really a shock imo.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    The NFL, now more than ever, is a QB driven league. You either have a high-level QB or your team sucks. The Vikings haven't had anyone since Culpepper to play the position with any level of consistency, and Ponder definitely is not that guy. I fear no matter who they bring in, the team is going to suffer. It was me, I'd trade Peterson for a wealth of draft picks and start rebuilding. The team isn't going to be competitive for a few years anyways, so trading AP while he's still at the height of his value seems to be a great way forward.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Frasier Down...Frasier Down.....Frasier Down....

Sorry.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Chicago will pass on Cutler, and Jay will just change teams in the division. Book it.
  • Options

<< <i>Frasier Down...Frasier Down.....Frasier Down....

Sorry. >>

Are you Dimeman's brother? It was "Down goes Frazier, down goes Frazier".
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Frasier Down...Frasier Down.....Frasier Down....

Sorry. >>

Are you Dimeman's brother? It was "Down goes Frazier, down goes Frazier". >>

Oops, the Cosell dyslexia is kicking in.
  • Options
    Looks like a bunch of top college QB's are staying in school this year.

It may be a Quarterback driven league, but that's exactly why you need to have a defense that can put some pressure on the QB or the good ones will pick you apart.

Vikings should concentrate on defense this year and get their Quarterback next year. This is why they have Ponder, couldn't wait for the right guy.

Trading Peterson might be a good idea, but would need to get at least two first round picks for him. If those picks look like late in the round picks, must have a Pro Bowl type defensive lineman as well.

A great defense along with an above average QB can win, the SB last year is a perfect example.

Vikings could lose both Jared Allen and Kevin Williams soon, and Greenway is starting to get older, other than Sharif Floyd and a couple of promising DB's this defense that gave up 30 points a game could get MUCH worse without immediate help.

Cassel is still young enough to get us through a couple of years, although he is not much better than Ponder.

Remember Ponder had at least four games where he drove the team downfield in the last five minutes to take the lead, and the DEFENSE allowed the other team to win the game as time was running out.

Vikings win those games and they win the division. And lose in the first round of the playoffs.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Equality schmequality........A woman cannot coach an NFL team!
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    I agree trading AP for a bunch of picks would be a good move, if they can find the right team to make the move. Sign Gerhart & they will be fine @ RB...
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    I hate to say it, but Gerhart might actually be a better fit (not a better RB) for the Vikings to be a playoff team. He runs more North/South and while he won't break the long ones as often as Adrian, he also should not get stopped for no gain as often.

I just don't think anyone is going to blow the Vikings away with a great offer for Peterson, he already has played seven seasons with one bad knee injury and missed more games last year at the end of the season (really hurt MUCH of the year).

The next two years will be very important to the Vikings. They need to find a QB they are happy with and upgrade the defense big time. Not an easy thing to do, unless you can really pick a lot of winners in the draft. A Peterson trade might get them some established players or high draft picks either of which would make improving the team in both areas easier.

First things first they need a GOOD head coach and staff RIGHT AWAY.
  • Options

<< <i>Chicago will pass on Cutler, and Jay will just change teams in the division. Book it. >>

What exactly do you mean? They will trade him? I am not sure Cutler is the answer either, although he might be good enough on a team with a superior defense like the Ravens had last year. The Giants have won it a couple of times with Eli and he's not that great either.

Peterson for Cutler and a first round pick............or two?
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    I'd rather roll with Cassel than Cutler.
  • Options
    There are going to be several good QBs available in the draft, and I can't be alone in thinking that nobody currently in uniform for the Vikings is the answer. Cutler just re-signed with the Bears for 7 years, so he's not an option. I don't know of a single free agent QB out there that would be an upgrade, so the team will have to draft one.

Peterson should be shopped IMO. The team won't be competitive for a couple years anyways, so why not trade him now and get some draft picks and start building this team from the ground up,. Gerhart has already shown he is a capable replacement, and with three or four picks from the Peterson deal the Vikings could reload much faster.

• Options
    I agree with trading Peterson. The Bears could use him but I think it would come at too high a price.
    I'm a Bear fan but I don't think franchising Cutler is the right way to go. That said, I can't think of anyone currently available that would work better.

Side note-Looks like Lovie Smith landed a gig with Tampa Bay... glad to see him get another chance. I might be in the minority in that opinion though.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i>Chicago will pass on Cutler, and Jay will just change teams in the division. Book it. >>

It seems as if Chicago did the right thing and did the exact opposite of what you predicted.
  • Options
    Since they've decided to hitch their wagon to Cutler, Chicago better get some defensive help, and soon.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i>Since they've decided to hitch their wagon to Cutler, Chicago better get some defensive help, and soon. >>

Exactly! I am not a Bears fan, but they have had some success, and one more Super Bowl victory than my Vikings, with mostly average Quarterbacks and superior Defenses.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd rather roll with Cassel than Cutler. >>

Me too, was thinking about some extra draft picks for the defense! Doesn't matter with Cutler resigning, but is there another Alex Smith out there?