Home Sports Talk
Options

Any chess fans?

Did anyone watch the Carlsen, Anand world championship match a few weeks ago? I thought it was pretty amazing, watching it live, the games lasted 5-6 hours.

One thing that draws me to the chess world is how reasonable and respectable the top players are (vs cry babies in the NBA and elsewhere). I think Carlsen is a good role model for chess.

How high do you think his rankings will go? Will he top 2900? I wonder how long he'll hold the title for.

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did anyone watch the Carlsen, Anand world championship match a few weeks ago? I thought it was pretty amazing, watching it live, the games lasted 5-6 hours.

One thing that draws me to the chess world is how reasonable and respectable the top players are (vs cry babies in the NBA and elsewhere). I think Carlsen is a good role model for chess.

How high do you think his rankings will go? Will he top 2900? I wonder how long he'll hold the title for. >>

Haven't paid much attention to Chess since Fischer-Spaasky in 1972. As tense and cold war-like as the 1980 Miracle on Ice.

• Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭
    When Carlsen played in St Louis last September, I actually met him in an elevator on the way to dinner. That was especially awesome!

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy playing chess at a very (VERY) low level and love reading about it. I've read books on Fischer, on the '72 series, on the '89 rematch with Spassky, on Kasparov, the "Search for Bobby Fischer" book, and so on. The game itself is one that should lend itself to my enjoying it a lot (I've got a mathematical mind) but I've never really dedicated myself to getting good or watching high-level games.
  • Options
    Does anyone have any favorite old games or moments from past chess matches?

Lately, I've been going through old games by Rubinstein, Capablanca, Morphy, young Kasparov in the 70's, etc. Does anyone have any favorite online resources, youtube channels, etc? Kingscrusher is one I follow quite a bit on youtube, he's a british player, I think rated about 2100 or the equivalent.

My middle and end game is terrible, sometimes I play on the ps3 or online. It's a very hard game on medium or higher (1600 or higher).