Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Box break 1985 Topps.

Just ripped a box of 1985 Topps. This is the first time I have ripped a box looking for the big three of course. Purchased the box a few weeks ago from BBCE. Beautiful box, no damage whatsoever.

No McGuire, no Gwynn, one Puckett, one Clemens, one Boggs (centered low), two Ryans and Schmidts only one of each are going to be submitted. One gum card per pack, no big star cards ruined, only a couple of wax stained cards (on the back). Approximately 1/4-1/3 of cards centered 80/20 or worse, surprisingly enough, most of the remaining were pretty good side to side but towards the bottom.

Quite a few low pop commons that could get 10's, I am assuming 9's are worthless. Is anyone putting this set together? Should I bother to submit the commons?

Here's the best of the Star cards (also a pretty nice Lynn slightly oc, not pictured);

Any comments or questions?
2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Comments

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Who is McGuire?? JK
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    85 Topps are flooded al lover.Save your money on the commons.Ryan,Puckett and Clemens are worth grading.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. I'm looking for PSA 9 or better quality cards of Ozzie Smith,Rick Sutcliffe & Bob Knepper All-Stars --- LMK if you pulled one of these...Thx!
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • olb31olb31 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Who is McGuire?? JK >>

He used to be a race car driver from Franklin County Virginia
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK McGwire. I just can't get this guys spelling through my head.

Does ANYONE think the Rose is worth sending in? Looks like the best card in the box...............just perfect.

P.S. cards look better than the scans indicate, left edge of cards look kind of "warped" in the scans.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Does Rose have a print dot on his collar?
  • The Rose in PSA 9 sells for less than $10. So I would only send it in if A) you believe it has at least a 50-50 shot at getting the 10, or B) you would like a nice 9 in your PC.

Based on what I see in that scan, it looks like a nice 9 to me.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Any nice mattinglys?
    .Looking for ANY National Bank notes of Skaneateles, NY
  • NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    Rose looks good but you never know. I would sub something like that on a cheap special.
    Nikklos
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>85 Topps are flooded al lover.Save your money on the commons.Ryan,Puckett and Clemens are worth grading. >>

That Ryan is distractingly OC in the horizontal direction. Even if it were lucky enough to be graded a 9 rather than lower, you can find better looking 9's for 12 bucks or less, so I wouldn't bother to send that one in for a slab if it were mine.

• No Goodens?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
    No Mattinglys, no Goodens, no Ozzies. Three more reasons am a bit disappointed with the box. Don't get me wrong, it could have been much worse.

The spot on Rose's collar does not appear to be a print spot.

Have one Rick Sutcliffe All-Star, centered low 75/25 with a few minor print "dots" otherwise looks mint.

• << <i>No Mattinglys, no Goodens, no Ozzies. >>

McGwire is the card behind Ozzie.

Save your money and don't sub any of them. Not a single card shown will be a 10.

<< <i>

<< <i>No Mattinglys, no Goodens, no Ozzies. >>

McGwire is the card behind Ozzie.

Save your money and don't sub any of them. Not a single card shown will be a 10. >>

I have seen 10's with centering like a couple of my cards, but I have never been that lucky.

I am afraid you might be right. I think I will send in the Puckett, Clemens and Ryan and hope one sneaks through.

Kind of a crappy box, was hoping to get at least one McGwire the one card that is worth something in a 9.

Fun to rip a box of cards though!

Thanks for the responses.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>Rose looks good but you never know. I would sub something like that on a cheap special. >>

Cheap special? BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA