Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Vintage Hockey - Good Investment ?

Any thoughts on where high grade vintage hockey is going in the next few years.l have seen some amazing prices realized in the big auction houses like Probstien and others.Can it continue going foward ?

Comments

• Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    I have made great investments in pre-war and vintage hockey. It all depends on what you buy. High grade rookies will always command a premium no matter what the sport but high grade commons would be a complete waste. Cards can be an amazing investment if you get the high end stuff (Ruth,Mantle,etc.). Just ask the biggest collectors how much their cards have gone up. Be prepared to spend big money if you choose cards as an investment. I have done well considering it's just a hobby, but I saved and invested in the bigger cards rather then the low or mid grade cards (even rookies). You have to cater to the high end collector when choosing to invest in cards because they are the ones that are going to spend the big money when you decide to sell. Educate yourself big time before making your investment, it could easily blow up in your face if you make the wrong purchases. There is investment potential in all sports, including non-sports, as long as you know what you are doing.
  • Options

<< <i>Any thoughts on where high grade vintage hockey is going in the next few years.l have seen some amazing prices realized in the big auction houses like Probstien and others.Can it continue going foward ? >>

Hockey is losing its following. Depends on how long you plan on keeping them. I would say if you plan on selling within the next 5 years than it could be a good investment, If you plan on holding them for longer I do not think cards are not a good long term investment.

look at comic books wah
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hockey is such a niche market. Like some others, I don't collect for investment, I do it because I either liked the player(or players) growing up or have a fondness for certain card design. Howe, Richard, Gretzky, Orr, Hull and a couple others, those guys are always going to be strong. Chelios and Scott Stevens, the two guys I focus on, get a bump when they make the Hall but it's a bump that levels off. That holds true for most, if not all of the hockey stars IMO.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Cards can be an amazing investment if you get the high end stuff (Ruth,Mantle,etc.). >>

Many of those high end cards haven't done anything in 10-15 years and many sell for less than they fetched in the late 90s. Based one your join date, perhaps you started buying in the 2008-2011 era which was a recent low, propelled entirely or at least largely by the financial crisis which caused cards to take a big dip. If you were lucky enough to make money because of that, then its due to the fortuitous timing of macro events beyond your control or decision making. There are very limited cases (e.g. Wagner card, 1952 Topps Mantle), which have done really well over time. But for the bulk of high end first tier hall of famer cards, the returns have been pretty abysmal for the most part. >>

I have been collecting since the early 90's so I've seen the industry go through everything. For example, I was buying my 67 Leaf Star Trek cards in PSA 9 for $400 each many years ago, now they are selling for $1500-$2000 each. I have made the right purchases as well as some bad ones, but I have learned from them and have done well because of that. That 67 Leaf Star Trek set that took me $15,000 to put together in high grade has brought me multiple $40,000+ offers recently. Doing the math grade for grade the set is worth a lot more so I have no intention of selling it. I started it because of the rarity of the cards in high grade and have benefited from that, that's why you have to do your homework before you commit.

As far as the Mantle and Wagner, lets look at some sales from a while back that weren't those BIG cards and some of their recent sales.
    1953 Topps Willie Mays PSA 10-$94,798-(90's purchase) possible $1,000,000 card today.
    1953 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 10-$94,000- (90's purchase)possible $300-500,000 card today.
    1954 Topps Hank Aaron PSA 10-$110,000 and $90,199 (2004) -recent sale $357,594
    1948 Bowman Stan Musial PSA 10-$28,000-recent sale $129,851
    1954 Topps Ernie Banks PSA 10-$28,000-recent sale $142,836
    1963 Topps Pete Rose PSA 10-$86,500- recent sale $157,366
    1967 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 10-$10,927(2005)-recent sale $68,676.09

The point is that there are many great investments in collecting, you just have to know what to buy. It's all a gamble, just like the stock market, but that's just as dangerous if not more if you don't know what you are doing.

• Options
    'The point is that there are many great investments in collecting, you just have to know what to buy. It's all a gamble, just like the stock market, but that's just as dangerous if not more if you don't know what you are doing'

Value of even uttering the words above, or worse, typing them out is ...wut ?

• Options

<< <i>'The point is that there are many great investments in collecting, you just have to know what to buy. It's all a gamble, just like the stock market, but that's just as dangerous if not more if you don't know what you are doing'

Value of even uttering the words above, or worse, typing them out is ...wut ? >>

What exactly is wrong with those words. There are many great investments and you have to know what to buy if you want to see a profit. I've done prettywell, obviously it works for me. I took chances and they paid off.
  • Options

<< <i>For example, I was buying my 67 Leaf Star Trek cards in PSA 9 for $400 each many years ago, now they are selling for $1500-$2000 each. I have made the right purchases as well as some bad ones, but I have learned from them and have done well because of that. That 67 Leaf Star Trek set that took me $15,000 to put together in high grade has brought me multiple $40,000+ offers recently. Doing the math grade for grade the set is worth a lot more so I have no intention of selling it. I started it because of the rarity of the cards in high grade and have benefited from that, that's why you have to do your homework before you commit. >>

Yes, you need to do your homework when buying but you also need to know when to sell.

Even if past sales of the individual cards add up to more than 40k, I think you will regret not accepting the 40k offer.

Those past sales could be a whale getting shilled or hitting BINs. Regardless, it's a thin market and an obviously strong player is out of the mix.

There are no guarantees that you can sell your cards for similar amounts as the past sales. I'd say it's actually highly unlikely.
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>
    As far as the Mantle and Wagner, lets look at some sales from a while back that weren't those BIG cards and some of their recent sales.
    1953 Topps Willie Mays PSA 10-$94,798-(90's purchase) possible $1,000,000 card today.
    1953 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 10-$94,000- (90's purchase)possible $300-500,000 card today.
    1954 Topps Hank Aaron PSA 10-$110,000 and $90,199 (2004) -recent sale $357,594
    1948 Bowman Stan Musial PSA 10-$28,000-recent sale $129,851
    1954 Topps Ernie Banks PSA 10-$28,000-recent sale $142,836
    1963 Topps Pete Rose PSA 10-$86,500- recent sale $157,366
    1967 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 10-$10,927(2005)-recent sale $68,676.09

The point is that there are many great investments in collecting, you just have to know what to buy. It's all a gamble, just like the stock market, but that's just as dangerous if not more if you don't know what you are doing. >>

But how many of those 'investments' are out pacing the market? If you would have put $100K in a mutual fund 20 years, it would be worth $800K today.
  • Options
    habs007, I would recommend buying pre-1970 Topps/Parkhurst rookie cards of Hall of Famers in PSA 8 or PSA 9 condition.