Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1715 Fleet- Images of all coins posted 12/30

If you are not familiar with the wreck just search "1715 Fleet". The group consist of four 8 reale and six 4 reale coins. I bought them from the son of a woman that Bill Mahan had given them to. The son told me that these were from the 1715 fleet and Mr.Mahan had produced a documentary on Mel Fisher. After searching I did find a documentary "Treasure Trove of the Century" produced by Bill Mahan. It can be viewed at
www.youtube.com/watch?v=30yQEacNNOM (Look below the screen and you will see listed 3 videos, click on that and its the middle video you need to click on)if you cant find it there then google it. The documentary mentions only 1 wreck and it was his first.

#1) 8 reale 26.1g partial date along left edge

#2) 8 reale 25.4g

#3) 8 reale 22.9g

#4) 8 reale 26.6g

#5) 4 reale 13.1g

#6) 4 reale 12.9g

#7) 4 reale 13.1g

#8) 4 reale 12.0g

#9) 4 reale 11.6g

#10) 4 reale 11.5g

1856 Half Cent NGC 58
1818 Large Cent NGC 62 BN
1853 Large Cent NGC 63 BN
1855 Large Cent NGC 63 BN
1893 Indian Cent NGC 63 BN
1861 3C Silver Beautifully Toned NGC 63
1844/1844 Half Dime Pretty Tone NGC 63
1856 Half Dime NGC 63 Old Holder- Nice tone
1875 Shield 5C NGC 63 Proof
1938-D Buffallo PCGS 66
1886 Seated Dime NGC 63 Fantastic Blue Toned
1820 Quarter NGC F 15

Comments

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. Those treasure hunters often use an electrolytic reversing process to undo damage caused by the ocean floor. Silver coins are often discovered as large sphere-ish clumps of black gunk. Gold is the only metal unaffected by the ocean. The electrolytic process can sometimes take years depending on the item and amount of debris. Can't say with certainty if these coins have been "cleaned" or not without knowing the definite history of their discovery, but I'm guessing they have gone through the process. And by the looks of them, they could probably use more treatment. Still a bit of blackness on them.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Those are great, I love them. Nice catch.
    I really enjoy "treasure coins".
    Nothing like silver or gold cobs to get the imagination juices flowing.
    I have a very small group of reales and escudos I've collected but hope to some day pick up some cobs.

Please share more pictures when you have them in hand.

JC

• Options
    CollectorcoinsCollectorcoins Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    will do. thanks
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    It is very cool seeing them all lined up in one photo like that. Nice assortment of treasure with a neat story to tell.
  • Options
    CollectorcoinsCollectorcoins Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    ttt