Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have you ever seen this before??

19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
I came across this Kennedy a few months ago with these strange cracks in the fields.

Any ideas as to what may have caused this? I mean, cracks in the field but not of the devices??
I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Looks like an extreme form of die erosion to me.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...looks like a very very bad job of die polishing. and no, I've never seen this before now.
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like an extreme form of die erosion to me. >>

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Die erosion lines are generally radial as they follow metal flow. Some of the "lines" looks as if they are starting to flake. Is it possible that it's delamination from a poor metal mixture?
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    it's a 19 something kenndy
    Mark Anderson
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...looks like a very very bad job of die polishing. and no, I've never seen this before now. >>

Yup. Die polish.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm....it does not appear to be on most of the devices such as the chin, only on the fields. Possibly around the eye area, not sure. Plus in the reverse shot it looks like the whatever it was is more prominent in between the letters than the field. Perhaps some die polish was not wiped off or some other foreign substance was on the die fields?

And no I have never see that before...

K

edited 'cause I noticed something after I posted...
    ANA LM
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks to be die polish- perhaps a very early strike. Is this either a 1967 0r 68-D? I wonder if it was just a half baked die polish job to keep up with production

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>Looks like an extreme form of die erosion to me. >>

I would have expected a greater degree of degradation or erosion on the devices is this were the case. Would you agree?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Die erosion lines are generally radial as they follow metal flow. Some of the "lines" looks as if they are starting to flake. Is it possible that it's delamination from a poor metal mixture? >>

Hmmm. I picked at it with a toothpick and there was no flaking or peeling. The raised lines felt just like die cracks.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The very first picture looks like lamination. The cracks appear to be lifting and chipping away. I have never seen anything like this either. Interesting.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...looks like a very very bad job of die polishing. and no, I've never seen this before now. >>

Yup. Die polish. >>

I don't know that I'd agree that its "die polish". More pictures.

Note the "erosion" flow lines below.

Typically, die polish produces parallel lines. Certainly never lines that are perpendicular to each other. Nor lines that form "y's".

The shape and pattern if the lines almost makes me think that the die was brittle.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks to be die polish- perhaps a very early strike. Is this either a 1967 0r 68-D? I wonder if it was just a half baked die polish job to keep up with production >>

I don't think it is even close to die polish. Does not look like it at all.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Die erosion lines are generally radial as they follow metal flow. Some of the "lines" looks as if they are starting to flake. Is it possible that it's delamination from a poor metal mixture? >>

this ill go along with. maybe theres a worn die in there as well.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Odd look

Looks a little like old, peeling paint.

I don't think it's typical of die polish

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    It looks like you hit the tri-fecta on this one, multiple things going on.

Adavanced die erosion
    Planchet flaws
    die polishing
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Could it be fake? A cast copy?
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options

<< <i>Could it be fake? A cast copy? >>

Uhhhhh......no.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Or maybe dipped in some corrosive solution?
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options

<< <i>Or maybe dipped in some corrosive solution? >>

Uhhhhhh........no again.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    A combination of things? image
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>Can you post some shots of the whole coin? And don't say "Uhhhhh......no." again lol. image >>

Uhhhh...........No.

Oh crap. Give me a minute.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    To me it looks like a combination of "die crazing" and die wear. Die crazing is a rare form of die breakdown characterized by fine, irregular, intersecting lines that form a network or reticulum.

http://www.error-ref.com/die-crazing.html
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options

<< <i>To me it looks like a combination of "die crazing" and die wear. Die crazing is a rare form of die breakdown characterized by fine, irregular, intersecting lines that form a network or reticulum.

http://www.error-ref.com/die-crazing.html >>

Thanks Mike.

The subject coin on the link has the cracks on the devices but not the fields. Any reason for this??

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    1964 90% silver
    1965-70 clad with a.08 silver laminate.
    Coins were struck with the 1964 date up until 1966
    Mark Anderson
  • Options

<< <i>1964 90% silver
    1965-70 clad with a.08 silver laminate.
    Coins were struck with the 1964 date up until 1966 >>

In the interest of keep the facts correct, it was a .80 Silver/Copper cladding (laminate), not .08.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I haven't seen many cases and I don't know the extent of variability. Die crazing is simply my best guess as to what's going on with your half dollar.

<< <i>

<< <i>To me it looks like a combination of "die crazing" and die wear. Die crazing is a rare form of die breakdown characterized by fine, irregular, intersecting lines that form a network or reticulum.

http://www.error-ref.com/die-crazing.html >>

Thanks Mike.

The subject coin on the link has the cracks on the devices but not the fields. Any reason for this?? >>

Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    XLDS - Extremely Late Die State
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Examination under a microscope leaves me confident that I'm looking at a case of die crazing.
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what is die crazing? Splain please!

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    It's a rare pattern of very superficial cracks that form a meshwork on the die face. If you look at pottery glaze covering an old ceramic bowl or vase, you'll usually see crazing.
  • Options
    I submitted the coin to Mike Diamond so look for this coin and some others in an upcoming Coin World Collectors' Clearinghouse article on "die crazing".

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome find, congratulations

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree very cool find. I get a kick out of the term "Die Crazing" like...everyone looked at it and thought, "That's Crazy!" and so they jut went with it for the name of the phenomena.
  • Options
    My column on die crazing currently appears in the online edition of the Feb. 24 issue of Coin World. Lee Lydston's coin features prominently.
  • Options
    Thanks Mike!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    The public domain version of my column can be found here:

http://www.coinworld.com/articles/die-crazing-leaves-coins-with-spiderweb-of-fi
  • Options

<< <i>The public domain version of my column can be found here:

http://www.coinworld.com/articles/die-crazing-leaves-coins-with-spiderweb-of-fi >>

Die Crazing Link

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree very cool find. I get a kick out of the term "Die Crazing" like...everyone looked at it and thought, "That's Crazy!" and so they jut went with it for the name of the phenomena. >>

+1

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    have to wonder if at some point down the road some chips fell out....
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    It doesn't look like any die polish I've ever seen.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Still crazing after all these years, whooooooooah!"
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was over-striking 1964 Kennedy Half Dollars to put a "1963" date on them,
    the first step in the process was to bead-blast the host coins to take all the gunk off.
    The coins would look fine prior to the bead-blasting. But the bead blasting caused
    blisters to form where there were pockets of gunk trapped just under the surface.
    Further bead-blasting would eat through the very thin layer of metal and expose
    the pocket, which sometimes contained black contaminants.

After bead-blasting coins from many different years, I have concluded that the
    metal integrity on the 1964 silver coins is the worst of any 900 fine silver US Mint
    products ever produced. The 1950s coins and before are much better. From 1960
    to 1964, the closer to 1964, the worse they get. I think the urgency with which the
    coins were produced in the mid 1960s contributed to the lower planchet quality.

That said, the close-up pictures cleary show (to me) that there are flow lines coming
    off the die defects. So these are defects in the die, not the planchet.
  • Options

<< <i>When I was over-striking 1964 Kennedy Half Dollars to put a "1963" date on them,
    the first step in the process was to bead-blast the host coins to take all the gunk off.
    The coins would look fine prior to the bead-blasting. But the bead blasting caused
    blisters to form where there were pockets of gunk trapped just under the surface.

metal integrity on the 1964 silver coins is the worst of any 900 fine silver US Mint
    to 1964, the closer to 1964, the worse they get. I think the urgency with which the

That said, the close-up pictures cleary show (to me) that there are flow lines coming
    off the die defects. So these are defects in the die, not the planchet. >>

do you think the lower quality of planchets could have accelerated the die crazing process?

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>When I was over-striking 1964 Kennedy Half Dollars to put a "1963" date on them,

off the die defects. So these are defects in the die, not the planchet. >>

do you think the lower quality of planchets could have accelerated the die crazing process? >>

Possibly. But since this effect has not been observed in this extreme on other 1964 Kennedy dies,
    it is possible that these two dies were not heat-treated properly and/or were made of defective steel.
  • Options
    Looks like some summer help tried using 220 sandpaper on that die.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file