Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Updates to my DMPL set…10-5-14 update in first post

blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
It has been well over a year since I posed an update to my set and I think I added about 20 coins last year so time for an update! The set is sitting around 80% complete and is the vette set on the PCGS registries. The link below has all the coins I consider in the set so that includes several dupes and toners. Also a few of my favorites that have parted ways to make room for other coins. An example would the 5 1921 Morgans in PL, all CAC or the 3 1902-O's DMPL's out of the total pop of 53.

Hope you enjoy viewing them as much as I do, feel free to post any comments or DMPL questions!

Here is a link to the entire set, lots of coins to view:

The Vette Set

Highlights pickups for the year were some tough coins:

1893-O PCGS 61PL, total pop of 14 all grades.

1902-S PCGS 61PL, total pop all grades 34.

1898-0 PCGS 64DMPL, replaced a lifeless version in my set:

Here is my favorite thing to do now, pickup common dates with uncommon mirrors, real deep ones like the following:

1900 PCGS 64PL CAC, another date I previously though unobtainable

Update 10-5-14:

Added a few more here is a preview of the additions:

I have not seen an 1878 with this cameo before:

Nice upgrade:

Buying some GSA DMPL's now, this one is very deep but the haze may have limited it to PL.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

Comments

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Todd, the 930 is a tough bird to find in PL.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    If only you could find a way to show us decent pictures
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice set, and lots of very nice coins. I do like the 93-O also. I still need a nice one for my set.

• Options

<< <i>If only you could find a way to show us decent pictures >>

Maybe when the kids grows up I can practice.....until then it is all selfies:

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    That 93-O is really unusual and awesome!
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!! An awesome attempt at something that may be impossible to complete. Do all dates exist in DMPL? or even PL?

Bob
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome, Todd.

Do you have to wear shades when you view your collection? image
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Some very nice additions to the set Todd.

Kinda impressed with the 93-O posted in this group.image

Mike
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    The 1900 PCGS 64PL looks more like an O mint with that strike. Oddball I guess.

Outstanding set of coins.
  • Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Awesome image
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    Todd, you have an incredible set and it is always a pleasure to see your updates.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done Todd!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    I like your 1888-O 64 DMPL.

great addition to your set.
    Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭
    "<< If only you could find a way to show us decent pictures >>

Maybe when the kids grows up I can practice.....until then it is all selfless:"

Correction: Selfies

BTW: What a cutie and future PJ model!

Successful BST: dmwjr, ike126, bajjerfan, morganman94, sonoradesertrat, 12voltman, duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, kccoin, jtwitten, robcool, coinscoins, mountain_goat, and a few more.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Each is gorgeous!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Great updates Todd. I think that daughter of yours is a beautiful DMPL too. Great pic of her! image
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭
    All I can say is "WOW!" Nice job.

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is my favorite thing to do now, pickup common dates with uncommon mirrors, real deep ones like the following: >>

....that pretty much sums up my collecting philosophy....common coins with extra eye appeal.... image
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking set Todd... Lots of stone cold black and whites!!!! Keep up the great job...

ABimage
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All nice but that 98-O is a beaut.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. They are beautiful. IMO putting the '93-O first kinda steals the spotlight from the rest, however.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have added some nice hard to find PL's to your set this year, especially the 93-O that looks like it would upgrade a full point. Finding a PL example of the 93-O is like trying to find a needle a hay stack, nice job!

It was a pleasure looking over your Vette Set with the outstanding photography.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for sharing. They are beautiful. IMO putting the '93-O first kinda steals the spotlight from the rest, however. >>

On the link to the entire set they are in date order. Some will love the 93-O for the date but others will not be impressed because it is not a black and white deep dmpl like some of the others.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I was getting ready to shoot my last newp of the year, a 93-O in AU50, and I click on this thread to see a 61DMPL! Nice.
  • Options

<< <i>So I was getting ready to shoot my last newp of the year, a 93-O in AU50, and I click on this thread to see a 61DMPL! Nice. >>

Well it is only a PL......

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Great coins! Beautiful.

• Options
    A Standing ovation for a wonderful set! image
    Official recipient of the "You Suck" Award (Oct. 2011)
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done, congrats!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Added a few more.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some great coins Todd, beautiful baby also congratulations!
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love them
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgan dollars have always bored me a little bit, though there is no real reason they should.

Even the colorful toners people love so much don't always impress me that much.

But all that changes when you throw in some DMPL contrast and frost. Then you've got even my attention. image

Nice coins.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really like what your doing Todd. If your gonna own a Morgan why not make it with mirrors!

DMPL questions

Am I to believe that a Morgan dollar with mirror fields is a coin made from a new set of dies? Dies that haven't been used to the point where flow lines set in and create grooves? Do we know if all dies where polished or not? I guess that is what I'm asking.

Also, you hear a lot about what makes a PL or DMPL designation. This many inches of reflectivity, breaks or soft patches in the mirror anywhere, etc. when I look at your set and see 61 and 62s I gotta believe there has got to be a wipe or hit that would prevent the designation being seen below the 63 level. Maybe your experience can shed a bit of light on the subject.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to see your little one has not yet drained the bank account! She will, just give her time!!!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 1880-S is really clean for a 62.

Great set.
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, I have no interest in DMPL's. I opened the thread to see if you had a pic of the kid posted. image Thanks!!
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Cool Man!!! Congrats and keep up the good work! Daughters rule, I have 2 of them and they love me a whole lot more than my wife does image

Erik
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    sweet set there
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you are lighting a fire my friend!
    beautiful!

that 1878 is just amazing!
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options

<< <i>Some great coins Todd, beautiful baby also congratulations! >>

imageimage
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are indeed superb! I love that 93-O!

• Options
    1893-O wow wowimageimage
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice set. I especially like the way you put lower grade coins in for the tougher coins instead of leaving that slot blank.
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, I like your set far more than those technicolor toners everyone seems to be so gaga over.
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have found nice additions to your Vette Set showing some great cameo contrast.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You have found nice additions to your Vette Set showing some great cameo contrast. >>

Love this. Very nice set Todd.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just like the Sunnywood/Simpson toners I wish you great success in your set of DMPL Morgans. You have it right........collecting at the borderline of awesome is very special.

OINK

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file