Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Questions 4 Modern Football Card Experts: Best 2005 Boxes 4 Rodgers Rookies & Best Modern Year f

Thank you for your advice and recommendations in advance.

Story: I have some money set aside and I am looking to treat myself via modern football pack ripping. I know I could spend the money on other stuff, but let's just say this is what I want and you are not going to change my personal preferences. With that said: I am a novice when it comes to ripping modern football. I don't want to burn my money by making rookie mistakes. I am looking for the forum's experts to point me in the right direction. I promise I will post my results from the rips at a later date.

Questions:

I am looking to spend it on two things involving modern football pack ripping...

1) The best boxes/cases from 2005 Football (you tell me the brand/type/series) to land high value Aaron Rodgers Rookie Cards (autos mostly) and...

2) Any year of modern football (you recommend the year and brand) to pull auto rookie cards that have the highest long term potential to grow in value (i.e. a single year of boxes/cases to rip with the best draft classes based on current performance....potential HOFers, all pros, etc.)....or auto cards of current HOFers (i.e. Barry Sanders, Joe Montana, etc.)

Very Important Notes Before Your Give Me Advice:

A) I want to 100% avoid the pitfalls of redemption cards from modern ripping. So I don't want to buy any products that have these as a primary or alternative way of rewarding rippers (because they are probably all expired). BL: no redemption cards in the series of box you recommend.

B) I am looking to buy boxes/cases of cards from brands with a rep for consistently producing highly centered cards and potential PSA 10-like quality overall.

C) I am only buying sealed boxes, but which brand/type/series has the best rep for being tamper or search proof? I want to avoid the ones that may have been picked through (if that is a concern at all with sealed modern stuff).

Meatloaf

Comments

• Options
    good question Id like to hear it
  • Options

<< <i>C) I am only buying sealed boxes, but which brand/type/series has the best rep for being tamper or search proof? I want to avoid the ones that may have been picked through (if that is a concern at all with sealed modern stuff). >>

Every manufacturer has their own wrapping imprinted with their name around each box. As the boxes get more expensive, a tamper proof seal is typically added to seal the box opening also. Low risk here.

For the second part of your question, I'd recommned buying from a reputable dealer. Most modern have what they call "Case Hits". So out of 4 box case, you're guaranteed get a rookie with an auto/patch numbered to less than 20. You may get a seller on eBay that hit the rookie patch auto and is selling the rest of the boxes. Now, there isn't anything necesarrily wrong with that as it's their case but you get the picture.
    With the large dealers, there should be no concern about cherry picking a case.

• Options

<< <i>B) I am looking to buy boxes/cases of cards from brands with a rep for consistently producing highly centered cards and potential PSA 10-like quality overall. >>

I cant think of any modern set from Topps or Panini that has condition sensitivity. Now, there have been Quality Control problems with Topps. Five Star cards came with dinged corners and edges fresh from the pack. Otherwise, both companies release cards that are high quality.
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭
    Just buy the cards you are interested in. Ripping slightly dated modern is a waste of money. If you pull an auto 99 times out of 100 it will be someone that didn't pan out.
    I buy more modern these days and the results are uniformly awful. You are typically chasing autos of one or two players with these products and there are no low pop commons to help bail out a poor rip.
    If you do choose to buy some boxes look at completed sales on eBay (ie Sold Listings) of the year and brand to get an idea of how worthless most of what you might pull will be.

Robb
  • Options
    Panini is the key company at the Annual NFL Rookie Premiere and I believe that's where most of their on card autos come from. Playoff Contenders is a highly anticipated set annually. They actually do have short print auto rookie cards that sell like hellfire when the SP list is finally released. It's obviously has a history. From 2005-Present I prefer the 2007 Rookie Class. The issue with those releases are the dang redemptions.
  • Options
    I think as a product the Topps Chrome is far and away the best. The Rodgers from the 2005 edition also has his cards with the highest values. I'd avoid ripping the 2005 Chrome though. Centering was a huge issue and with Rogers in particular. Finding a well centered Rodgers in any of the variations is tough and that's a good reason as to why his centered cards from the set are so valued. I can also attest that the rookie cards from that year of Topps Chrome in particular seem to be tough to get period. I think I've opened 4 hobby boxes from that year and am missing 1/2 of the rookies still (Rodgers included). If I hadn't pulled a Rodgers refractor those rips would've been for about nothing.

Before picking a product I'd pick a year first. And if I were starting to collect modern football I'd look no further than 2011 and 2012. Lots of strong rookies from both classes and 2012 is looking like it may be THE rookie class to get. The Chrome is a good product for those years as well. But on the negative side for the Chrome they are one of the products that uses "Redemption" auto cards along with their normal autos you pull from the pack. Personally speaking I've ripped about a half dozen hobby boxes from those years and never pulled a single redemption card though.

There's so much out there any more that I'd suggest really investigating the products once you investigate the year. Not only do you have so much different products but you also have so many variations of each product also (retail, hobby, blaster box, etc.).

My own personal favorite would be 2012 Topps Chrome Hobby- but you'll pay for it. If I would've known last year what those are going for now I would've invested a lot more than I did.
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    So it sounds like it is great fun ripping this kinda stuff, but more than likely won't "hit" gem Arod cards and provide more buyers remorse than anything else. So it may be better for me to just simply seek out nice autp Arod rookies, buy as singles, and submit for grading (assuming raw to begin with)?

Slight shift in topic...

What are your opinions concerning ultra high end product ripping of any sport/brand? I have seen some of these youtube rips....UD Exquisite or other brands (may be leaf?) where rippers pull PSA/DNA encapsualted Ruth autos and MJ 1/1 autos. Are these also henerally a poor gamble to as an investment and simply results in a ripping high? Just curious. My cousin (who is like a brother to me) has been watching these high end rips and wants me to go in with him on one.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Panini generally honors expired redemptions (at least recently expired ones).

As for the high-end rips, UD Exquisite has lost a lot of its luster since it became a college uniform set (Panini now has an exclusive NBA license). The big ones now for basketball are Flawless and Immaculate. (National Treasures has been surpassed by these two).

Even when the high-end products are providing a good overall return on investment, it's usually as a result of 1 or 2 monster cards in the box. Everyone else is losing money. It's high-stakes gambling to do randoms or hit/team drafts.

As for the repackaged products (like the new Leaf's Best of products), they bought the cards on the secondary market, and are then reselling them at a markup through what's really a grab bag system. It's a worse form of gambling for the reason that there's a definite house edge (unlike in manufacturer-produced products, where their cost has little to do with consumer value). Super Box may be the single worst bet - it has been estimated that there's only a 50% return across the product, and that includes a claimed $12.5K value for the Puig superfractor, which has already been pulled.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

<< <i>Panini generally honors expired redemptions (at least recently expired ones).

As for the high-end rips, UD Exquisite has lost a lot of its luster since it became a college uniform set (Panini now has an exclusive NBA license). The big ones now for basketball are Flawless and Immaculate. (National Treasures has been surpassed by these two).

Even when the high-end products are providing a good overall return on investment, it's usually as a result of 1 or 2 monster cards in the box. Everyone else is losing money. It's high-stakes gambling to do randoms or hit/team drafts.

As for the repackaged products (like the new Leaf's Best of products), they bought the cards on the secondary market, and are then reselling them at a markup through what's really a grab bag system. It's a worse form of gambling for the reason that there's a definite house edge (unlike in manufacturer-produced products, where their cost has little to do with consumer value). Super Box may be the single worst bet - it has been estimated that there's only a 50% return across the product, and that includes a claimed $12.5K value for the Puig superfractor, which has already been pulled.

Nick >>

I rather just play texas hold'em and attempt to control a bit more of my own destiny.

For a case of 1993 SP baseball or 1986 Topps Football, assuming they are sealed and legit, are they worth a long term return, or is it unlikely to pull enough 10s of Jeter and Rice from these things to make it up?
  • Options

<< <i>Panini generally honors expired redemptions (at least recently expired ones).

Nick >>

What are the most likely highest return years/sports for UD Exquisite? Prob 2003-04 Basketball and 2004, 2005, 2006 football?