Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

What is your 2014 collecting goal?

I want to find some nice English silver pieces from the Victorian era and earlier with good eye appeal.
Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always enjoy finding something which leads to broader understanding of a culture.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping to add a few more tarnished British pieces next year.

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    1) to complete my Belize / British Honduras type set, very close!
    2) to complete my AH1281 Tunisia Kharub copper set (only missing one!)
    3) to finish acquiring all the remaining pieces for my OFEC which are under $1k/each. Very close! The ones over $1k will have to wait a little longer.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• 1- continue working on my pre WWII Lithuanian sets

2- Obtain reference material on this country

3- Work on my photography skills. I see so many beautiful coins here.
    I would like to be able to post comparable pics.

It seems funny being so focused. But these sets are something I want to
    finish and who knows where my interests will go after that.
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Continue to gather higher grade pieces for my Taler set
    Sell/trade lower grade
    Improve imaging/website
    Meet other collectors, hopefully in person as well
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finished my 12 caesars. Have one on reserve but otho will be the biggest challenge.

Other goals is acquire a few more empresses I need and get more greeks and roman republics.
  • Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    1st ... Add a few coins to my world gold collection .. My last purchase was April 2011
    2nd ... Update my NGC Registery site .. last update was 2009
    3rd ... Work on improving my collection images
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No need for imagination here. There are about 15 coins in the Heritage New York sales that I "need" for my collection. If I get at least half of them, I've had a good collecting year. The rest of the year is gravy.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To purchase at least one, and perhaps even more, coins for my collection.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to acquire as many high grade portrait Anglo-Saxon pennies as I can afford.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭
    I want to get further into ancients, at least deeper than the tip of my toenail on my big toe.
  • IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to acquire some 15th century Renaissance medals to flesh out the earlier years in my collection, but it's difficult to have a specific goal since it depends what pieces come on the market (and how much they cost). In terms of non-acquisition goals, my two main goals for the upcoming year would be:

1) Learn to take better photos

2) Get a website together
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Complete a set that I have been working on for many many many years!!
  • -complete my Twelve Caesars set
    I need Caligula, Otho, Vitellius, Vespasian, Titus, and Domitian, however they have to be attractive pieces, I'm not going to buy a Caligula just for the sake of having one, I think he's going to be the toughest
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make more progress on my Northumbrian styca collection. Hoping by the end of the year to obtain one of each moneyer for Eanred, Aethelred II, and Archbishop Wigmund. These are achievable goals but I'm sure a few rarer moneyers will elude me. I still need a few moneyers for Osberht and Redwulf but I'll be patient with these as they might take a while.
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I turn 70 this year and my collecting goal will be to release parts of my collections from my grip.image
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I turn 70 this year and my collecting goal will be to release parts of my collections from my grip.image >>

Boz, in coin terms you're a modern!!!

My collecting goal for this year is not to sell too many coins because I have 2 major trips coming up - one to climb Kilimanjaro in August and the other one to visit my aunt in St. Petersburg in the fall / early winter. Together those trips are more than my usual numismatic budget for the year, but knowing myself, i'll probably be posting NEWP's relatively soon image
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I collected a couple of Cadillac Allantes to keep me busy. It also take a chunck of change to keep these money pits.

Here is one of them.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (1) To sell off, or giveaway, all the coins that don't fit into my current collecting realm.
    (2) To only buy coins that fall into my current collecting realm.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No goals... No objectives.

May I only continue to buy what I like when I see it and deal with the consequences afterwards...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Oops, dupe post! image
  • YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To purchase at least one, and perhaps even more, coins for my collection. >>

Tom, you are quite a comedian.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

<< <i>No goals... No objectives. May I only continue to buy what I like when I see it and deal with the consequences afterwards... >>

Living dangerously! Good for you. I hope to be able to do that someday.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

<< <i>-complete my Twelve Caesars set
    I need Caligula, Otho, Vitellius, Vespasian, Titus, and Domitian, however they have to be attractive pieces, I'm not going to buy a Caligula just for the sake of having one, I think he's going to be the toughest >>

So you feel the need to have the denarius of his? I collect on a tight budget & tend to like having a bit of variety other then denarii. I have caligula, tiberius and claudius in bronze & I am thinking of skipping otho in denarius and going for a tetradrachm, but not sure. Part of me wants to ditch my vespasian denarius for a tetradrachm too.

• << <i>

<< <i>-complete my Twelve Caesars set
    I need Caligula, Otho, Vitellius, Vespasian, Titus, and Domitian, however they have to be attractive pieces, I'm not going to buy a Caligula just for the sake of having one, I think he's going to be the toughest >>

So you feel the need to have the denarius of his? I collect on a tight budget & tend to like having a bit of variety other then denarii. I have caligula, tiberius and claudius in bronze & I am thinking of skipping otho in denarius and going for a tetradrachm, but not sure. Part of me wants to ditch my vespasian denarius for a tetradrachm too. >>

I quite like the denarii but there's no way I can do that set in all denarii, my Claudius is a bronze As that I'm pretty happy with and my Nero is represented with an Alexandria Tetradrachm

I like your Caligula, it's not the often seen VESTA issue

=Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
    I had a nero & titus denarius but recently parted with them in a trade for better grade/commoner reverses of the two. I really just need vitellius & Otho. Vitellius is on layaway at the moment & Otho will be in several months I hope. Just need to decide on a tetradrachm or denarius.

I liked the caligula alot too. Best of all it was in $63, ebay win. The Claudius is my favorite even though the portrait isnt strong. Seems to be only 2 or 3 of existence of the type.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mostly buy sight seen so it is not quite as dangerous as it sounds

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    My interests are pretty specific and its hard to know what might pop up so hard to set buying goals anymore (eg I did unexplectly fill out 2 currency sets in 2013). I do find I have a number of "orphan" collections - ie coins of series that seemed to be of interest that I subsequently decided not to pursue. Guess my only manageable goal would be to sell off some of these to have a bit more change when a "gotta have" pops up.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least one addition to my 1565-71 Scotland ryal set.
    At least one addition to my 1910-14 Mexico Caballito peso set.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have 2 major trips coming up - one to climb Kilimanjaro in August >>

I'll be climbing Kilimanjaro in August as well! And then seeing the Selous reserve and Zanzibar.

My collecting goal is classified though, so I don't tip my hand.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>(1) To sell off, or giveaway, all the coins that don't fit into my current collecting realm.
    (2) To only buy coins that fall into my current collecting realm. >>

What is your current collecting realm? I've been trying to figure out your previous collecting realms for ten years now, and I still can't get it.

More banknotes for me, more seriously this time, preferably PMG graded.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
    Classified? Wow, I've not heard that one before. OK, that's cool. I respect that. So how many years must pass before it becomes declassified by the Freedom of Information Act?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

<< <i>Classified? Wow, I've not heard that one before. OK, that's cool. I respect that. So how many years must pass before it becomes declassified by the Freedom of Information Act? >>

Hah. My real collecting goal is my first nation (and continent) highpoint. I have 42 of the US states, and some from Canada and Mexico.

But as for numismatics, hmm, snag any rare items that I might come across if they fit my collection. That's not much less vague than 'classified' though image
  • buy another Wildman taler.

try complete notgeld collection
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    image Same as it ever was... image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I plan to continue with my complete lack of focus, and add coins to my World Type Set.

Specific goals ...
    1. Add a medieval England or Ireland Hiberno-Norse coin
    2. Add one or two Venetian Ducats or Zecchinos
    3. Add 10 more German States coins
    4. Add 3 more Swiss Canton coins
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To pay off all the purchases I made in 2013!

<< <i>So how many years must pass before it becomes declassified by the Freedom of Information Act? >>

Now unclassified, but not really happily...

My #1 goal was probably to add some notes from banks that financed the University of Texas (where I went to school). I have one from the banks of G. W. Brackenridge and G. W. Littlefield. I don't have any from banks of William McDonald, who (to the annoyance of his family) donated his estate to found the astronomy observatory, now built in west Texas. McDonald founded two banks, the rarer one is the First National bank of Cooper. I hadn't seen any for sale but FUN had one up today, so I didn't want to tip my hand image Sadly, my bid of twice the high estimate was not good enough image

Otherwise there isn't anything rare I am really looking for, so with Kilimanjaro coming up for me, I'll be saving my powder this year mostly.
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    To continue my act of futility of collecting a full set of Victorian farthings, halfpennies and sixpences.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.