Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Crusty Talers

Visited the bank today to grab these for reimage and have available in hand for a possible sale down the road. The first two were among the earlier purchases that got me hooked. The Ensisheim came from Brent (Worldcoinguy) and illustrates the beautiful designs available within the theme. All original and crusty. The 1654 is my favorite and perhaps undergraded by a few points.

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably because no Austrian state ever attracted my attention, but that Montfort certainly has.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    Good stuff! Always a treat to view your talers.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coins as always

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Zohar.
    I always love seeing your coins. I view each one as a little piece of art.
    Your presence on these boards predates me by several years, and as such you may have stated this previously, but I'm curious how long have you been actively pursuing your Taler's?
    Also, if you don't mind, did your interest in the Taler's come about simply from admiring the beauty of these coins or was it something else

Lovely stuff once again

JC
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JC - thanks much for these kind words of appreciation. I really appreciate it.

My story is probably not that unique - I collected low grade, common, US coins as a child with my father. Abandoned the hobby for many years until my mid 30s when one day in 2008 while browsing/shopping on ebay came across the coin category. It immediately triggered some curiosity, yet this time looking at non-US material. I ended up buying a $10 Egyptian coin and continued this pattern of buying world coins at lower grades. As some 25 years passed since my childhood collecting days, a lot had evolved in terms of grading, information sharing and of course the internet.

At some point I reached the various forums and shops and became exposed to the crown size coins, and in particular, Talers. I was captivated by the art and history. The Holy Roman Empire in particular. During my next visit to my mother's house I located my old collection of US only coins and literally "dumped" it in its entirety putting the funds right into my first few mid grade Talers. As I gained more knowledge and confidence, I focused on the higher grade or scarcer issues.

As for many of us this hobby provides for other benefits - a mental escape from a rather stressful daily routine, interacting with people that share this passion and perhaps an investment for the longer term. This forum, in particular, is the one I settled in - knowledgable folks yet more importantly, very friendly. Other forums did not have the broad knowledge base or were not welcoming, or both. I do hope that more people follow a similar path to expand this existing community while maintaining the same forum environment.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Zohar, your story is very similar to many others (including mine).

To others: what the Z-man did not mention, likely due to modesty, is that he also has an impressive body of historical and numismatic knowledge concerning his areas of interest. I've also met him several times in person over the years, and I can also attest that he's a polite, friendly, sincere quality individual.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EVP - that is very kind of you. You may have just earned breakfast at the upcoming NY show image See you soon.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for sharing - great looking pieces as always image
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Your photo skills have definitely improved since the early days image
    You definitely do a great job these days
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

The 1621 piece from Ensisheim is one of the crustiest I have owned.

Zohar - you have certainly come a long way in a short amount of time. You have managed to put together one hell of a collection. I have to echo your sentiment on the mental escape of the hobby. I find good peace of mind after a long day reading comments on these forums, combing inventories, or just reading numismatic articles.
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your story Zohar.
    I truly admire your collection and your obvious knowledge of your collecting realm.
    EVillageProwler, having met you, conveyed what I suspected, as it does come through your posts and replies, that you are "polite, friendly, sincere quality individual".
    That is quite a testament, particularly in this day and age where one tends to encounter those qualities less and less frequently.
    Best of luck, health and happiness to you in the New Year and to all of those who frequent here and enjoy the darkside.

JC