Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Current basketball rookies for registry

Is there a consensus on what the cards for the HOF RC registry are going to be in the Panini era? It was Topps Chrome from 1996-2010 but trying to figure out what Panini cards will count is really tough. Hoops? Panini Base? Prizm? And if it's Prizm, those didn't exist until 2012 so what would count for Paul George? Anyone have an opinion?

Comments

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Guys, I'm hoping some basketball collectors will reply. I went to a Panini sponsored Blake Griffin signing last night and was told that he would not sign trading cards period but especially not my Topps Chrome rookie. So it has reignited my interest in determining what the rookie cards will be both for autographed and non autographed cards in the Panini era. Please do reply if you collect these. I have some suggestions based upon research today with the guidelines following the football model which is:

- Must be a base card with a print run of /999 or more
    - Should be the most valuable card available that is not already autographed
    - If possible, should show the player in an NBA jersey as opposed to a college one

Under those criteria, these are the cards that seem to make the most sense as registry rookies to me but I'd love other input:

2009 Panini Prestige #151 Blake Griffin
    2009 Topps Chrome #101 Stephen Curry /999 (I always prefer the Topps Chrome and would for Griffin too but his Panini contract is an inhibitor)
    2010 Panini Prestige #199 John Wall
    2010 Panini Prestige #220 Paul George
    2012 Panini Prizm #201 Kyrie Irving
    2012 Panini Prizm #236 Anthony Davis
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    The recent cards are very confusing, as far as making a choice for the Registry sets as to which is "The One." Even some of the close-to-eligible retired guys have cards listed in the HOF Futures set that are head-scratchers to say the least.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I agree, Greg but could you please be more specific? I'd like to make this consistent. My contention is that it should be:

Topps Finest 1993-1995
    Topps Chrome 1996
    SP Authentic 1997-2000
    Topps Chrome 2001-2008/9
    Panini Prestige 2009/10-2011
    Panini Prizm 2012-Pres

Those always seemed to me to be the important card sets for each year (and the Panini in my brief research for the most recent).
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I think in general you are correct. However, there are certain cards that for various reasons, are less popular and well known, but may end up being the right choice for the set. Examples that would be a precedent would be the 1988 Score Tom Glavine (Fleer had been considered the ”best” RC for over twenty years, until recently) or the 1990 Fleer Basketball RC's (Skybox were the choice for most of twenty plus years).

I think some of the basketball choices are still unclear. For example, when PSA 10 condition sensitivity is considered as a factor, I much prefer the 1994 SP basketball foil RC's to their 1994 Finest counterparts.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !