Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

In celebration of our Canadian members Boxing Day I went a lil Gray :)

Merry Xmas y'all! image

Well I've spent about a decade following and admiring Canadian coinage from afar never allowing myself to take the plunge to the gray side. I've had a deep admiration for the two year type 1858 & 1859 Canadian large cents which feature a young Queen Victoria as to me it's one of the most beautiful obverse and reverse designed chunks of copper. Well early this morning I noticed one of our member/dealers was having a Christmas Sale and this was the one item I've spent numerous occasions in the last few months ogling on his site. So after some soul searching as I decided that it was alright to just purchase a coin design I'm fond of without having to follow any rules of building any sort of set.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice '59

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Superb!

And if you really get the fever check this site out: Vicky Cents
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks... I'm praying I don't come down with any sort of fever! imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭
    I agree that the Canadian Provincial circulation coinages of 1858 & 59 embody some of the prettiest coins ever minted, notwithstanding some of the silver 18th & early 19th century European strikes. The 59's, in particular, contain multi-hundred varieties that can turn into a lifetime collecting pursuit. A friend of mine from another board did just what you did ... picked up a mid-60's uncirc '59 at an auction just to have an example of a nicely struck, beautifuly designed coin for around $150. When he showed it to me at one of the larger Toronto shows here, my jaw dropped and I asked him if he knew what he had (and of course he didn't). It was one of the rarest varieties known in the series and was worth 20-30 times what he paid. He, unfortunately, then traded it for some equally rare error coins that he DID collect, but he got the '59 bug just like the rest of us. The site that Gene provided a link to is a massive data base for die trackers and marriage pairs that provide a scratch for the collecting itch that just won't quit. Congrats .... nice coin.