Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do you think the green color on this 1892 Barber Dime developed?

Just curious what you guys/gals think of this recent pickup of mine.?

I am a COLOR NUT and couldn't resist bidding on this green Barber Dime already in a problem-free PCGS slab and was able to win this with a bid of only $130 over guide price (which is no biggie to me). So I am not buried in the darn thing. Actually I was ALMOST able to buy this close to bid, just one other person in the bidding war drove the price up about $100.

The color is very smooth and uniform and the coin has really nice eye appeal (to my eye at least).

Shown below are a couple of iPhone shots in indirect sunlight. The photos are raw and not tweaked at all. The white faded spots running down the temple might have been on the slab, or it might be some photographic artifact, as I didn't notice that on the coin looking at it live. The obverse scratches looked to me like they were on the slab plastic and not the coin.

I will be sending this to PCGS for out-of-the-slab True View photos next week as I would like to see what Phil can do with it.

Is this secondary album toning? Maybe dipped and then retoned? Or do you think it was messed with and it just slipped by PCGS? Or perhaps PCGS thought it might have been messed with but was market acceptable, maybe they knocked it down a grade for that?

Comments

• Options
    I can't attest to the reason for the coloring but I like it, cool clash too!
    BST Transactions;
    Seller- thebigeng; morgansforever; bolivarshagnasty
    Buyer-nibanny; derryb; zubie; smittys; konsole; tootawl; socalbigmark; fullcameo; coinkid855
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interestingly it looks like many 1892's Ive seen. Specifically Ive seen the 1892 year come with very similar types of toning.
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good feedback!! Thanks.

Where is the "clash"?

Also I bet there are a lot of nice 1892's since that was the first year of issue, and people might have saved them due to that fact.

Green toning on silver coins is a bit unusual from what I've seen (and been able to buy). This is probably the only other really good green toned silver coin (non-MorganDollar) in my collection ...

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    started its life of entombment in an older NGC or ANACS holder?
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty cool
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The clash looks like its in the obverse field right in front of the bust. Could be something else though.
  • Options

<< <i>Good feedback!! Thanks.

Where is the "clash"? >>

LOL you are joking right?

Very nice obverse and reverse clash

I like the color. It does appear very flat and dull, but I am assuming this is the iphone pic.

If you have time after the holidays could you please PM me a lesson on posting iphone pics?

I have a few I want to post but can not figure it out.

Jim
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Very pretty toning. I recall a similar coin at Heritage about a month ago.
  • Options
    The clash obverse and reverse is very obvious. Please tell me you are joking about that one. Just look at the chin and you will see a corn cob in relief.... You should get it relabeled to list the clash.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty coin! I'm guessing it might be envelope toning.

• Options

<< <i>Interestingly it looks like many 1892's I've seen. Specifically I've seen the 1892 year come with very similar types of toning. >>

I agree with joebb21's assessment. I have seen many 1892 Barber dimes with similar toning over the years. I would add that I have seen a number of 1892 Barber halves withe the same (really beautiful, IMO) toning as well.

Green toning seems to be the "money color" among toning collectors, so paying such a premium is not unreasonable.
    Please visit Dave Wnuck Numismatics LLC at DaveWcoins.com
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Winged Liberty - Here's a lousy pic of my green quarter that kind of matches your dime. Scratches are on the slab.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

<< <i>Winged Liberty - Here's a lousy pic of my green quarter that kind of matches your dime. Scratches are on the slab.

image >>

She's a beaut, Catbert!
    Please visit Dave Wnuck Numismatics LLC at DaveWcoins.com
  • Options
    Fantastic Barber Quarter! It would be cool putting together a green set.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I've meant to add this Quarter to the Thread...

imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bright green toning frames that portrait unlike most of the examples shown later. Almost reminds me of the Newman silver coins that just went off. This kind of toning often comes from the coin's being dipped or
    treated early in their lives, then residing in sulfur heavy national pages or Wayte Raymond holders where they get these wonderful colors over many decades (ie via secondary toning). I don't think you see this kind of toning very
    often via primary toning. You can get the same type of toning by dipping a coin and then accelerating it by placing in tissue paper under sunlight. But at some point, if not removed it will start to look "juiced" in 1-3 years.

I owned a MS67 1892 Barber half with a uniform greenish blue reverse coloration. The obverse was more like the mottled autumn colors you usually see. Both sides were attractive though the reverse was more striking.
    Enough people told me they felt that it was AT that I just ended up selling it. And the buyer was a very sharp dealer who was well known for being able to differentiate AT from NT.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    TrueView photo just in ...

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice TrueView!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

Eric
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great eye appeal. Doesn't look juiced to me.
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file