Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Russian Coin Auction results

I continue to be astonished at the strong prices that admittedly high quality Russian coins bring at the Sincona auctions (viz. Oct. 2013) versus similar coins at Kuenker. Choice Nicholas II proof roubles brought over $30,000 at Sincona, yet I don't see the few at Kuenker bringing anywhere near that recently. Really top notch 19th century Russian coins brought amazing prices at Sincona. It's hard to really compare of course since each coin is unique, but anecdotally it seems that Sincona has access to very wealthy clientele in larger numbers than Kuenker. What's their secret?

Can anyone comment on the recent results - view on sixbid.com.

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it seems that Sincona has access to very wealthy clientele in larger numbers than Kuenker

Although I did not view the coins, it seems more likely that the quality of the coins is the cause for the apparent disparity of prices realized.

That said, all it takes is one or two enthusiastic bidders to make a huge difference at an auction.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    I was there and I can tell you the following..

The prices that Sincona has realized have been setting have been unreal. However this was Part of the famous collection. Which is getting massive premium for the provenance. Also the condition of some of the coins, has thus far been far superior than the stuff that Kuenker has given up.