Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Busted open six packs of 1981 Popy Kajiwara figures (wrestling) no HULK HOGAN RCs

2»

Comments

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Have to file a NPB tonight. Ugh. I'm sure this yahoo bid the auction up to see how high it'd go.

Anyway, make sure you block ebay user ID prawnstars.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Hulk Hogan Popy figure went for $1465 tonight on ebay.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    I think by me pulling mine, someone lease jumped at the other one figuring that might be there last chance.
  • Options
    Maybe I should have not ripped mine open with the Hogan header card, LOL.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    The hogan card in this set is great. The fact that it is rare and there is a very strong unopened figure market makes it that much harder to get. Has the individual card sold at all? I'm interested to see what one would go for. I wouldn't sell mine because I don't think I could easily replace it.. I'm just curious what it's worth.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    An Andre and Inoki figure with cards popped up in Japan. A little rich for my blood Y50000.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>An Andre and Inoki figure with cards popped up in Japan. A little rich for my blood Y50000. >>

I ran the conversion in a currency calculator. It came out to $421.63.

This seems like a reasonable price for them on the card.
  • Options
    Definitely, if you lived in Japan. Would easily be close to $550 to get them bought and shipped over to the States. Good chance, though, that both of those would appreciate over time though.
  • Options

<< <i>Definitely, if you lived in Japan. Would easily be close to $550 to get them bought and shipped over to the States. Good chance, though, that both of those would appreciate over time though. >>

The Popy set of 10 figures has a bid at $7500 right now on ebay. Pretty crazy to find all ten figures......
  • Options
  • Options
    It's going to be a huge payday as I bet they didn't pay more than $150 per figure.
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    THE UPPERCASE WAS KILLING ME! But seriously, amazing collection and already one bid, unless its a shill? I remember playing with the WWF figs in the mid/late 80s.
  • Options
    Is there even a guarantee that a higan card is in that lot? I understand that the figures themselves are collectable.. But how are the cards distributed? Are same ones always packaged with the same figures? Odd that the hogan cosmos card and the Popy card both seem to be short prints.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

<< <i>Is there even a guarantee that a higan card is in that lot? I understand that the figures themselves are collectable.. But how are the cards distributed? Are same ones always packaged with the same figures? Odd that the hogan cosmos card and the Popy card both seem to be short prints. >>

I have never opened two of the same figure so I am not sure on that. I did write down the sequencing in case I ever get the same figure again and rip it open. It seems like a lot but I have a contact in Japan from these boards who said that the shops there were selling the figures in this price range. I know that there are some deals on Yahoo Japan but we know that there could be valid reasons why those prices are not quite what a seller may get by just sticking a price tag on the item and selling it.
  • Options
    As far as I know, the Hogan only shows up as a header card with the figure. It is very doubtful this auction has any of the Hogan cards.
  • Options
    Price getting lower on the Japanese auction for the Andre. At Y48000...curious to see if goes lower.
  • Options
    I see the auction ended at $7500. Wonder if it was a legitimate bid?
  • Options
    I like these cards more every time this thread gets bumped. Sumo, are there any other Hogan cards from 1981? I thought I remember you discovering on other early hogan
  • Options
    There is a 1981 Marusho hogan which is also a nice looking card:

• Options

<< <i>I see the auction ended at $7500. Wonder if it was a legitimate bid? >>

Doesn't look like there was a sale of these as the seller relisted the figures with a reserve.
  • Options
    Will be curious to see what these go for. Hopefully a legitimate sale this time.
  • Options

<< <i>Will be curious to see what these go for. Hopefully a legitimate sale this time. >>

I bet that people will not be too thrilled to be bidding on an auction with a reserve. I do not anticipate a sale here.
  • Options

<< <i>I like these cards more every time this thread gets bumped. Sumo, are there any other Hogan cards from 1981? I thought I remember you discovering on other early hogan >>

I busted another Abby Popy figure and I was really pleased with my results. I learned that the sequencing is truly random as I know the selection this go around was much different than my previous Abby rip. I missed out on the Hogan although I was not thinking that I would find it. I got both Andre The Giant cards and the rarer card of Abdullah cutting up the Sheik. This acquisition was a home run for me. I'll be able to upgrade my Popy set with this purchase.
  • Options
    Very cool. Thanks for doing that bit of research.
  • Options

<< <i>As far as I know, the Hogan only shows up as a header card with the figure. It is very doubtful this auction has any of the Hogan cards. >>

I busted two more figures (Andre and Inoki) looking for the Hulk Hogan and I struck out again. Out of the six packs I have yet to draw out a Harley Race and a Hulk Hogan, considering that it is only a 17 cards set and there are 8 cards per pack....48 cards total of a 17 card set and I do not get a Race or Hogan out of it. The "B" cards are tougher to get too. I may be done cracking these out. I will just have to look for the single or the Hogan figure I suppose.
  • Options
    i would have thought that more loose cards would have surfaced by now. Its wierd that only sealed figures have come to market. The Hogan seems like it is sort print like it is in the cosmos set. Its odd that the star is sp and not a contrived sp like modern day sets. good luck on you search for another one.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>As far as I know, the Hogan only shows up as a header card with the figure. It is very doubtful this auction has any of the Hogan cards. >>

I busted two more figures (Andre and Inoki) looking for the Hulk Hogan and I struck out again. Out of the six packs I have yet to draw out a Harley Race and a Hulk Hogan, considering that it is only a 17 cards set and there are 8 cards per pack....48 cards total of a 17 card set and I do not get a Race or Hogan out of it. The "B" cards are tougher to get too. I may be done cracking these out. I will just have to look for the single or the Hogan figure I suppose. >>

That's a bummer. I'm glad you were able to pull the trigger on those figures. I was going to do it soon as the prices kept creeping down. The Hogan I have little doubt only shows up with his figure and only part of the time. I'm curious to know if there was some sort of issue he had with the card and they pulled it and subbed it with the Mascaras card. All the other figures have their own cards as the header card except Hogan.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I busted two more figures (Andre and Inoki) looking for the Hulk Hogan and I struck out again. Out of the six packs I have yet to draw out a Harley Race and a Hulk Hogan, considering that it is only a 17 cards set and there are 8 cards per pack....48 cards total of a 17 card set and I do not get a Race or Hogan out of it. The "B" cards are tougher to get too. I may be done cracking these out. I will just have to look for the single or the Hogan figure I suppose. >>

That's a bummer. I'm glad you were able to pull the trigger on those figures. I was going to do it soon as the prices kept creeping down. The Hogan I have little doubt only shows up with his figure and only part of the time. I'm curious to know if there was some sort of issue he had with the card and they pulled it and subbed it with the Mascaras card. All the other figures have their own cards as the header card except Hogan. >>

Rob and I spoke yesterday and I mentioned that it might have something to do with licensing. I am looking at wiki now and he was working for Verne Gagne in 1981 and I know that one of the issues Hogan had with Gagne is he wanted half of his merchandise revenue from Japan. Many of the other stars featured in the set were large draws there and it seems odd that they would only make Hogan a short print.

I have seen videos where Hogan claims to have had his own shirts made and sold them out the trunk of his car in his days in the AWA. He was very quick to capitalize on his likeness and build a merchandising brand. When the LJN figures were released in 1984 this became a huge revenue source for the wrestlers featured and naturally Hogan's first figure sold like wild fire. There are a three figures from that series that feature Hogan showing that both him and Vince McMahon were looking to maximize profits.

The person who generally gets my wrestling auto's for me presented some BBM cards to Stan Hanson to sign. He got really upset when he saw them because he said he was never paid for them and never authorized the images to be used. I could see these being sort of bootlegged and the same with the Cosmos cards. Wrestlers were not known for their business skills in this day in age and I could see them just being excited to see a figure existed or potentially not even knowing.

Sumo perhaps you can look through the various wrestling publications from this time frame and see if any advertisements exist. This would potentially put the theory of them not knowing to rest as the wrestlers were very excited to see their images in the magazine. Another person who has supplied many auto's to the market said when Nick Bockwinkle signed his Wrestling All Stars card in the early 80's he asked where he got it from and didn't even realize he was on a card so it could be the case that items were made without permission or compensation.

• Options
    I'll certainly keep an eye out. I'll have to do a little more research on the Kajiwara licensing and Popy company. It seems odd that the cards would be pulled and not the figure unless they were under two different licensing agreements. Mini cards of the era all seem to have the proper licensing so would be surprised if these were bootlegged. Perhaps it has to do with printing issues. 17 seems like and odd number for a set, almost like one card (Hogan) was an afterthought. Perhaps they had a difficult time getting a license to print his card and instead put Mascaras in the first figures until they could start printing Hogans. It could be the A series was the first print run and B were only in the second print run explaining why Bs are harder to find along with some of the unlabeled cards. The Mil Mascaras that is in the Hogan figure is an A series....could have been a place holder until they started printing Bs and a second print run with the Hogan.

WCK, I can't remember if I asked you already, but did you notice A and B cards in the same pack?
  • Options

<< <i>I'll certainly keep an eye out. I'll have to do a little more research on the Kajiwara licensing and Popy company. It seems odd that the cards would be pulled and not the figure unless they were under two different licensing agreements. Mini cards of the era all seem to have the proper licensing so would be surprised if these were bootlegged. Perhaps it has to do with printing issues. 17 seems like and odd number for a set, almost like one card (Hogan) was an afterthought. Perhaps they had a difficult time getting a license to print his card and instead put Mascaras in the first figures until they could start printing Hogans. It could be the A series was the first print run and B were only in the second print run explaining why Bs are harder to find along with some of the unlabeled cards. The Mil Mascaras that is in the Hogan figure is an A series....could have been a place holder until they started printing Bs and a second print run with the Hogan.

WCK, I can't remember if I asked you already, but did you notice A and B cards in the same pack? >>

I wrote down all the sequencing from the six packs that I opened....I'll have to see what I have.
  • Options
    Page turn post
  • Options
    Post for page turn
  • Options

<< <i>I'll certainly keep an eye out. I'll have to do a little more research on the Kajiwara licensing and Popy company. It seems odd that the cards would be pulled and not the figure unless they were under two different licensing agreements. Mini cards of the era all seem to have the proper licensing so would be surprised if these were bootlegged. Perhaps it has to do with printing issues. 17 seems like and odd number for a set, almost like one card (Hogan) was an afterthought. Perhaps they had a difficult time getting a license to print his card and instead put Mascaras in the first figures until they could start printing Hogans. It could be the A series was the first print run and B were only in the second print run explaining why Bs are harder to find along with some of the unlabeled cards. The Mil Mascaras that is in the Hogan figure is an A series....could have been a place holder until they started printing Bs and a second print run with the Hogan.

WCK, I can't remember if I asked you already, but did you notice A and B cards in the same pack? >>

Yes, I have got A and B cards in the same pack. I looked over some of the sequences from the six unopened figures.
  • Options
    Okay, thanks. It is interesting to note that Hogan was the latest wrestlers of the 10 to wrestle in Japan and his card is the scarcest. All the other wrestlers were pretty well established in Japan by the time these figures and cards were released. Fujiwara promotions handled the Tiger Mask card sets as well.
  • Options
    Andre figures seem to be fairly common compared to the others........
  • Options
    The Andre, Inoki and Butcher seem the most common.
  • Options
    I have had two Andres, two Butchers, one Harley Race and I searched the internet and found a Hogan in a private collection in Europe.
  • Options
    If I had extra disposable income, I would have bought that lot of figures on eBay. You don't see some of those figures often.
  • Options

<< <i>If I had extra disposable income, I would have bought that lot of figures on eBay. You don't see some of those figures often. >>

I was the high bidder on the reserve auction although I knew his reserve was much higher than my last bid. I am not a figure guy, but that was a unique lot that very few would have the dedication to complete.
  • Options
    I think a good average price for each sealed figure and cards is about $250. Hogan would be around $750-$1000 especially with the Hogan card. $7000 or so is about 2x too high unfortunately.
  • Options

<< <i>I think a good average price for each sealed figure and cards is about $250. Hogan would be around $750-$1000 especially with the Hogan card. $7000 or so is about 2x too high unfortunately. >>

I think the Hogan figure with his own header card would easily be $1500 and without the header card I am thinking it should be more in the $750 range but that is just me......It is just strange to have a figure of a wrestler and to have a different wrestler right next to it. If I knew the Hogan card was in the package despite Mascaras being the header card then I would put it in the $1000 range.
  • Options

Congrats. Amazing card

• Options

I have the complete collection of the 1981 Popy figures with some cards too. So hard to sell them!!

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

King, I always like your posts!

In a couple of years I foresee a bump coming to that card. At least from what I can see from the scans it looks like a PSA 7. I can see the tiny pin sized indention top, top, left but that's about it.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.