Home Precious Metals
Options

Anyone else watching copper?

bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently someone has been building up a huge position .

almost a 90% stake

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JPM?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    Alright! I'm THAT much richer with all my copper pennies.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So somebody bought 90% if the worlds copper yet prices did not rise. What happens if he sells?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>So somebody bought 90% if the worlds copper yet prices did not rise. What happens if he sells? >>

His not selling is what will raise prices. He controls 90% of the ask price.

• Options
    vprvpr Posts: 604 ✭✭✭
    It's not 90% of the world's copper. Just stocks held by the LME. I'm guessing another rogue trader who is averaging down.
    References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.
  • Options

<< <i>It's not 90% of the world's copper. Just stocks held by the LME. I'm guessing another rogue trader who is averaging down. >>

or gambling up.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No worries.

The exchange says they have 'robust' rules against regulations....

So no way can they get away with it. Right??
    ----- kj
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happens if he sells?

The same thing that happens when everyone wants out of stocks at the same time, except that Wall Street exits first.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We see this sort of activity all the time. A little research will reveal usual outcomes.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    We see this sort of activity all the time. A little research will reveal usual outcomes.

Generally, the outcome depends on who has the political connections.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Physical copper is a different story that is concentrating in china just like physical gold is.

China has been pulling in the lion's share of ore for a while now. They are also refining a lot , they are putting out twice as much refined copper as Chile which is in 2nd place .

I don't know if paper copper is a good investment but I stack physical. I pick up a bit of 10% junk copper US coins every week at the LCS image
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know if paper copper is a good investment but I stack physical. I pick up a bit of 10% junk copper US coins every week at the LCS image >>

I'm stacking US nickels for the extremely long term.

• Options
    I used to hoard BU rolls of nickels. I still have them, because they're too heavy and expensive to ship after ebay and paypal fees - so they sit. Maybe I'll stack them into a safe that's not bolted to the floor - as burglar bait. Oh wait, I'm already doing that with cents.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it wouldnt hurt to have some set aside. the price has to go up sometime. jmo
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the only form of copper that I stack (and occasionally use) typically comes packaged in 20 or 50 piece boxes.
  • Options
    nickel is the silver of the future.

• Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    One thing I just became aware of is the military has switched from bullets containing lead to copper bullets (better for the environment though it will cost taxpayers much more). So, with the exception of mining the gun ranges, copper, however small, will be used up every time a shot is fired.
  • Options
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find silver too bulky to store in quantity; never mind nickel and copper.

I need to be mobile in case I need to cash in my insurance, and that means gold and platinum.

for speculation, copper and nickel do not make my top 50 list.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

Here is a good study of copper for those interested world copper fact book 2013

Its a pdf so i can't link directly to a certain page but look at the trading flow maps starting on page 34 .