Home Sports Talk
Options

The Texas Rangers drive to win the 2014 World Series has begun, Yu has a tainted no hitter going vs.

thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
After a piss poor year in which they didn't even manage to make the playoffs, the Rangers have shaken up the team in an attempt to get better. GM Daniels has made a few moves this offseason including getting rid of or not signing Ian Kinsler, David Murphy, Gentry, Joe Nathan, Nolan Ryan, AJ, Matt Garza and apparently now, Nelson Cruz.

Rangers have added Prince Fielder, Michael Choice, Shin-Soo Choo, and Arencibia. I'm not sure yet, what I think of the moves so far. I am disappointed to a degree in losing Nolan and Nelson. Murphy and Nathan were always cool to me and my daughter, so a bit sad to lose them as well, BUT I know it's a business and the object is to win the World Series, not have a team of nice guys.

The lineup looks pretty stout so far with just a couple exceptions. Choo in left field, Leonys Martin in center, Alex Rios in right, Beltre at third, Elvis at shortstop, Profar at 2nd, Fielder at first, Soto at catcher, and Moreland presumably at DH.

Closer situation up in the air with the loss of Nathan, and contestants should be Neftali Feliz, Soria, and Scheppers. All 3 of those guys should be relatively serviceable with the losers making good setup men along with Robbie Ross.

On the starting pitching front, Rangers can hang with most anyone with Yu Darvish, Derek Holland, Matt Harrison, Martin Perez, and Alexi Ogando.

Would love to see one more addition, either Nelson Cruz coming back or David Price coming in, but I don't realistically see those being options at this point. Despite having two billionaire owners (must be nice to have owners that will spend whatever to get talent like the Yankees owners historically do), supposedly the Rangers can't afford Cruz now and seem satisfied to go with Mitch Moreland at DH, and for some reason, they are absolutely hell bent on being attached by the umbilical cord to Profar, and won't move him to get Price. I am so sick of Profar's overratedness I could barf.

As usual, time will tell with this year's edition of the Rangers. You don't win the game on paper, just ask the Angels, LOL. There will be a ton of new faces around the Ballpark this year, and I hope that it's still the same fan friendly atmosphere that I've grown to love out there even though that Nolan is gone now. Come on Rangers, get it done for once.
Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    The Rangers are going to be very strong this year. The offensive side will be very fun to watch with the addition of Fielder and Choo considering that they are at the top of OBP. Defensively speaking we will be much strong than last year. Kinsler was a defensive liability in my opinion. Teams are going to have their hands full with the speed of the Rangers. Choo, Elvis, Rios, Martin and Profar all have the ability to steal 30+. With the heavy bats of Moreland, Beltre, Rios and Fielder the Rangers will be a problem for opponents. I am concerned about the mid to late innings for our pitching staff but hopefully we can have some strong SP where we don't depend on them as much.

Go Rangers
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Showtime! Get'em Tanner Scheppers
  • Options
    image couple pics from Opening Day. One taken by the local paper (I just thought it was a gorgeous photo) and one taken by me. Bacon on a stick!

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Oh my! How amazing was that pork belly (aka bacon on a stick)?!?
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    Happy 20th birthday to The Ballpark in Arlington! Aren't you Rangers fans gonna give a tip of the ten gallon hat to that? I know Wrigley's centennial is what will get all the attention this year but still...has it really been 20 years? I remember the Snickers commercial saying "there's a hunger inside you!" showing the stadium and the crew building it!
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    ¿ʇǝʎ pǝʇɐuıɯıןǝ ʎןןɐɔıʇɐɯǝɥʇɐɯ uǝǝq soןɐɥ ǝɥʇ ǝʌɐɥ
  • Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>¿ʇǝʎ pǝʇɐuıɯıןǝ ʎןןɐɔıʇɐɯǝɥʇɐɯ uǝǝq soןɐɥ ǝɥʇ ǝʌɐɥ >>

LOL

Mike, I look forward to seeing the Halos take care of the Rangers next weekend here at home. image

Justin
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whats happened to Prince Fielder?
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭

<< <i>Whats happened to Prince Fielder? >>

He thinks he's still in the playoffs.... He's alright though. Still got that $24mil/yr to cheer him up and keep him cozy at night! Meanwhile, I'm loving what Kinsler is bringing to Detroit!! In all seriousness, Prince will be Prince. When all is said and done, he will have 25hr/100rbi
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's up with Beltre? Just noticed he already has five errors this year. He's usually one of the best
  • Options
    Yu has a tainted no hitter going through 8 so far against Boston.

There was a routine fly from David Ortiz and miscommunication between Rios and Odor that caused the ball to fall. IMO, 99% of the time, those particular circumstances should be an error, but the hometown scorer ruled it an E on Rios.

Oh well, come on Yu, get it done in the 9th and let everyone gripe, LOL

It is what it is.
  • Options
    Oh well, justice was served. Ortiz got a hit with 2 outs in the ninth.

Still a helluva game pitched by Darvish
  • Options
    Was way too busy last night celebrating to get this out, but wanted to thank Texas for beating Oakland in the 9th to help us clinch the AL West. image

Tough, tough year for Texas. Hopefully next year they can get some things done and contend.

Justin
  • Options

<< <i>Was way too busy last night celebrating to get this out, but wanted to thank Texas for beating Oakland in the 9th to help us clinch the AL West. image

Tough, tough year for Texas. Hopefully next year they can get some things done and contend.

Justin >>

Daniels has done a wonderful job of blowing up the Rangers in a one year period. What an awful season. One great thing about law school is I haven't had a lot of time to ponder on their disaster of a season. Hopefully they can get it back together for when I'm able to enjoy them again in two years.

In all sincerity, congrats to the Halos. I know I talk a lot of noise from time to time, but I'm usually a gracious winner and loser, LOL.

Have a good run in the playoffs!

Mike