Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Disgusted with PCGS!

Finally got my grades after almost 2 months and the idiots there screwed up - had explicitly requested attribution to "Ex David Fore Collection" and sent in paperwork to prove winning bid at Baldwin's David Fore Collection auction, which they chose to ignore! Sad that I'll have to re-send to NGC and try getting the pedigree. Pathetic PCGS! image

Comments

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Did you call them to discuss? I have had good results politely speaking with customer service in the past. image
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My last submission was my last one too!

I had a proof Morgan that was graded 'Unc details'.

I also had an 'E' counterstamped bust quarter (I think 1818) that was graded 'details ('tooled' or 'damaged', I can't remember).

I just signed with NGC for a year and I'm giving them one last chance too.

If NGC screws up then I'll stick with Canadian coins and ICCS and forget about US coins (I'm Canadian so it's OK).

Playing this 'resubmitting game until it's graded right' is a complete farce.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe as a matter of policy, the E and L counter stamped bust quarters are not straight-graded by PCGS. NGC, however, will straight-grade them if the coin is otherwise grade-worthy.

The circumstances behind these E/L c/s coins is still speculative, but I direct the viewership to a series of articles in the John Reich Journal from perhaps 7 to 10 years ago that makes very interesting reading about these coins.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    Called twice, emailed twice. Emails go into a black hole - never responded to!
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Called twice, emailed twice. Emails go into a black hole - never responded to! >>

I agree the customer service email is a black hole, but calling them has always worked for me.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CB:

Unfortunately, not everything goes right or well and I have had my share of situations that have made me wonder at times. Consider giving them the opportunity to correct this.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, not everything goes right or well and I have had my share of situations that have made me wonder at times.

Life is like that. Or are you just talking about PCGS?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Sorry Mr.E- You are right. In general life is like that, but I have have situations with PCGS and NGC that have tried my patience. Unfortunately, what we collect and on rare occasions are lucky enough to find create submission challenges. Even for those that we look up to and expect perfection. I suppose my point is that our expectations of TPG are often challenged and that in part comes with the territory. Could TPG be more responsive and get certain matters right the first time? I suppose the easy answer is yes. But then lets look at the number of submissions and the percentage completed without errors or issues. While a high percentage of success is not an excuse or argument that special submissions are an acceptable exception, it does suggest that TPG needs to identify those special submissions to insure they get the required attention collectors anticipate.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with E, it's just that way. They (TPGs including our hosts) will do some things on occasion to try your patience but in balance IMO do fairly well.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    CoinK, what do you suggest? Calling them, sending the coins and paperwork in again? I'm just SOOOOO disappointed with PCGS at this point in time that I really don't know whether calling and re-sending will get me anything but more frustration. As suggested here, I had sent in the original receipts/packaging and all the proof I had that the coins were ex-David Fore Collection, and explicitly requested that they be holdered as such. Anyways...you are right, life's like that! Hurts that the coins will lose their pedigree forever unless this is corrected...
  • Options
    I would send a certified letter with copies of everything and request an immediate confirmation that the pedigree can be noted on the slab

Pm me for the next steps

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    last time I looked PCGS are humans

and guess what humans make errors

call them up and chat with them you will get more help by explaining the issue then starting a thread griping about it

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>call them up and chat with them you will get more help by explaining the issue then starting a thread griping about it >>

I guess you missed his post where he's emailed twice with no response and tried calling twice?

Sometimes, when getting nowhere with a company with crappy customer service, venting publicly about it, while not necessarily solving the problems with the subpar company, is at least cathartic.

To the OP: Rant away...