Home Sports Talk
Options

Would NCAA Football suffer if coaches salaries were capped at $500k?

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Not advocating this, but the NCAA seems to have unlimited power and probably could institute such a cap.

Would the game itself really suffer? I think not. Some of the current heads would go to the NFL, but only so many could be absorbed. I do not believe that many assistant NFL coaches make much above $500k so that would not really be an option for the disgruntled college heads.

To those that believe that players should not be paid, would this cap be ok? Why or why not?

Comments

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some reason I generally do not like price controls. Bad idea if the NCAA did this. Let the market decide.
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    If the argument against players making money is they should enjoy the 'experience' and the free room and board, then coaches shouldn't make any money, either.
  • Options
    Even better, only allow students to serve as coaches.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe that would work. Along with players being compensated "under the table" so would coaches.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For some reason I generally do not like price controls. Bad idea if the NCAA did this. Let the market decide. >>

I like this answer. Wish more elected officials thought and acted this way too
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>For some reason I generally do not like price controls. Bad idea if the NCAA did this. Let the market decide. >>

I like this answer. Wish more elected officials thought and acted this way too >>

I agree with both of you. The question though is, would the actual quality of the games decline in this hypothetical environment?
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    What they should do instead is have a salary cap for the entire football program, coaches and players are allowed to make X amount of dollars. It would be a balancing act and you'd quickly see those coaches who really want to win go to programs where they would allocate their salary to that of the team, and greedy coaches would pocket a majority.