Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PayPal/Credit Card Chargeback.....UPDATE

I had my first Credit Card chargeback from a buyer who purchased a Gretzky RC off of me for $ 900 almost a month ago threw eBay. I insured the card and it was sent to there confirmed address so they had to sign for it. PayPal said they are on my side but it's up to there CC company who will win and in the meantime I'm out $900 for up to 75 days while this guy tries to keep the card and the $. You guys might want to block this buyer: razelwarehouse(2089)

Edit: it was graded by Beckett.

Comments

• Options
    Good luck. Same thing happened to me years ago. Call the local DA there and police and file. It took me almost a year to recover and only reason I did is I ran him down. Paypal will do nothing.
  • Options
    user id is invalid
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>user id is invalid >>

It's razelwarehouse the (2089) is his feedback score.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out the feedback this buyer has left for sellers.
    James

Feedback Left
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing the info. Blocked the A**Clown. Hopefully catches on pretty fast....
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I thought that as long as you complied with the appropriate mailing options (i.e., tracking, signature confirmation over $250) you were supposed to be protected against claims by the buyer? Did you use Signature Confirmation? Even though the buyer had to sign for it because of insurance, it will not be an acceptable signature for the purposes of proving delivery unless you used Signature Confirmation or the equivalent type of service from UPS/FedEx.
  • Options

<< <i>Check out the feedback this buyer has left for sellers. >>

Unbelievable.
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    I had something like this happen to me a few years back , but it involved coins , not cards . I sold some upper graded coins from the 1820's . The guy paid for them , I sent them with all the bells and whistles . I got a charge back about 3-1/2 weeks later , originating from the guys CC company . Ebay said basically the same thing , that the resolution depended on the CC company . I tried to contact them via Ebay , but it went unanswered . Wrong phone number listed as contact for starters ,

Then the power of the internet woke up . I checked the address using a Stewarts Directory for his area . I was able to find his wife's name , which as it turned out was what their home phone was listed under . I was very careful , when I left a message on their answering machine . Non threatening , not very specific . My name , my phone number and my Ebay handle . The next day , I get a message from him , via Ebay , asking for an outside contact . I gave him , via Ebay , one of my email addresses . The next day , the guy emails me from his work , which happened to be the US Department Of Justice . I was able to find him rather easily on a site directory , what he did and who his higher ups were .

I lastly emailed him back , with his higher ups names and a need to find resolution . I needed my money in the next three days . He sent over nite the entire $ 970 (?) cash the next day .

Not a lot of work , but more than I needed to do , to get this clown to man up . I hope yours ends up well .---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I had something like this happen to me a few years back , but it involved coins , not cards . I sold some upper graded coins from the 1820's . The guy paid for them , I sent them with all the bells and whistles . I got a charge back about 3-1/2 weeks later , originating from the guys CC company . Ebay said basically the same thing , that the resolution depended on the CC company . I tried to contact them via Ebay , but it went unanswered . Wrong phone number listed as contact for starters ,

Then the power of the internet woke up . I checked the address using a Stewarts Directory for his area . I was able to find his wife's name , which as it turned out was what their home phone was listed under . I was very careful , when I left a message on their answering machine . Non threatening , not very specific . My name , my phone number and my Ebay handle . The next day , I get a message from him , via Ebay , asking for an outside contact . I gave him , via Ebay , one of my email addresses . The next day , the guy emails me from his work , which happened to be the US Department Of Justice . I was able to find him rather easily on a site directory , what he did and who his higher ups were .

I lastly emailed him back , with his higher ups names and a need to find resolution . I needed my money in the next three days . He sent over nite the entire $ 970 (?) cash the next day .

Not a lot of work , but more than I needed to do , to get this clown to man up . I hope yours ends up well .---- Sonny >>

I love this story, Sonny! And he worked for the DOJ? Figures!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads-up. I too have blocked this clown.
    Think. Thank. Thunk.

My eBay Listings
  • Options

<< <i>I had my first Credit Card chargeback from a buyer who purchased a Gretzky RC off of me for $ 900 almost a month ago threw eBay. I insured the card and it was sent to there confirmed address so they had to sign for it. PayPal said they are on my side but it's up to there CC company who will win and in the meantime I'm out $900 for up to 75 days while this guy tries to keep the card and the $. You guys might want to block this buyer: razelwarehouse(2089)

Edit: it was graded by Beckett. >>

I don't understand. If he signed for he card, and the card has been graded, what is he complaining about?
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    Get a copy of the signed receipt and file a police report.
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    I hope you are able to get this situation resolved properly.

as an aside, do large ebay sellers like probstein and pwcc have some sort of protection against this type of fraudulent activity? it would appear that they must have some sort of insurance or something given that they are not only selling thousands and thousands of items, but that they are selling the items of others. anybody know?

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options

<< <i>I hope you are able to get this situation resolved properly.

as an aside, do large ebay sellers like probstein and pwcc have some sort of protection against this type of fraudulent activity? it would appear that they must have some sort of insurance or something given that they are not only selling thousands and thousands of items, but that they are selling the items of others. anybody know?

eyebone >>

I too have always wondered about this. We know ebay gives these guys better rates(ebay fees) so I assume they have more protection as well.

To the OP. Why did the buyer file a chargeback? If its for item not described, then you will probably be out $900. Ebay/paypal don't care about sellers. Filing a police report or filing a report to the BBB will do no good.
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    I sold a 150.00 item about a month ago and the same thing happened. Paypal covered me (seller protection)and released my funds but they are still arguing the case in hopes to get their money back.

It shows up as an open case but they did release the funds to me about a week after I uploaded my proof.

I think you will be just fine as long as you sent with sig. conf.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I insured the card and it was sent to there confirmed address >>

This is where you will have some issues. Signature Confirmation (the bright pink topped form) is ONLINE viewable and the credit card company and Paypal can see it. Where the Insurance signature is only viewable to the PO. Hopefully you can work with your Postmaster to get a Copy or Fax, to the Credit Card company and/or Paypal. Just hope it wasn't "driver released" without a signature, that could cause some issues.
  • Options
    Nevermind, my mistake.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just blocked that blocked that big, smelly pile of manure. Hope you get it worked out.

Shane

• Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    based on his feedback , it is possible he filed a charge back on something else and the credit card company just charged back all his paypal items .

I would try to contact the buyer.

This happened to me before , and the buyer said he didn't file the chargeback. He said he filed on another item that a seller didn't send. He tried to work it out with the credit card but it never got resolved. He was very sorry and sent me a check for the item and threw in extra for my hassle.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Just curious about something. Never had a chargeback, but I assume this would work.

1) Leave no money in PP account. Withdraw to your Paypal linked Bank Account IMMEDIATELY after you receive cash on any transaction
    2) In the terms and conditions of eBay/Paypal, you actually agree for them to go after your funds in the linked bank account, which I assume they absolutely would do in the case of a chargeback if the money had previously been removed from PP.
    3) Have a secondary account NOT linked to eBay and PP where you can quickly move the money when the chargeback hits. Again, this all assumes the money was removed from PP immediately after it was received. If it's still there when the chargeback hits, then none of this works.
    4) I realize that if you do this, that PP account is not useable for other transactions because received monies would be offset by the chargeback, so this might be a one and done strategy because this PP account would be finished, basically.

Thoughts? PP would not be able to get at your cash in that secondary account. In such a case paypal eats it instead of you.

• Options
    All of this to cover the 1 in 100,000 transactions in which someone files a chargeback?
  • Options

<< <i>All of this to cover the 1 in 100,000 transactions in which someone files a chargeback? >>

It's not much work. Most of the steps would never be done until after the chargeback is filed. Transferring money from PP to your bankaccount same day it is received is the key to all of this. That is not hard to do, not a bad idea given Paypal's track record.

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    How about you try it and let us know how it works out for you.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How about you try it and let us know how it works out for you. >>

I'm wondering what % of your 1361 posts do not contain you being a douche
  • Options
    thunderdan, that's not a very good plan.

You'll lose your Paypal account, you'll no longer be able to buy/sell on ebay and it will probably mess up your credit.

If you follow Paypal's shipping instructions, you shouldn't have any problems.

I assume addicted2ebay didn't get Signature Confirmation.
  • Options

<< <i>the Insurance signature is only viewable to the PO. Hopefully you can work with your Postmaster to get a Copy or Fax, to the Credit Card company and/or Paypal. >>

This is what addicted2ebay needs to do. But it would be sent to Paypal, not the credit card company.

Again, this is assuming he didn't have Signature Confirmation.
  • Options

<< <i>It's not much work. Most of the steps would never be done until after the chargeback is filed. Transferring money from PP to your bankaccount same day it is received is the key to all of this. That is not hard to do, not a bad idea given Paypal's track record. >>

It's more work than is necessary considering the minimal risk of just keeping it my Paypal account. Once a week? Maybe. But there's no way I'm logging in and making transfers every day just in case this happens. It's like dressing up in full body armor just in case you get in a car crash.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maurice is correct. If you leave your paypal account with a negative balance, they will refer the debt to collections.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    One of the biggest issues I see with this is if Paypal is going to remove funds from a sellers account because of a chargeback, they should also give sellers options not to take credit card payments. It is bad enough that buyers can get a freeze on funds for almost any reason, legit or not, but then with a chargeback you're dealing with a whole different animal. The seller has no recourse against the credit card company, they have to totally rely on Paypal to fight for them. After Paypal has taken the money from the seller, what's their motivation to keep fighting these chargebacks?
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>the Insurance signature is only viewable to the PO. Hopefully you can work with your Postmaster to get a Copy or Fax, to the Credit Card company and/or Paypal. >>

This is what addicted2ebay needs to do. But it would be sent to Paypal, not the credit card company.

Again, this is assuming he didn't have Signature Confirmation. >>

No I did not have additional signature required other than the insurance signature but I did speak with PayPal and they said that's enough and there on my side to get the chargeback dropped.
  • Options

<< <i>thunderdan, that's not a very good plan.

You'll lose your Paypal account, you'll no longer be able to buy/sell on ebay and it will probably mess up your credit.

If you follow Paypal's shipping instructions, you shouldn't have any problems.

I assume addicted2ebay didn't get Signature Confirmation. >>

To each his own Maurice. I hope I never have to deal with it, and I follow all PP shipping instructions.

• Options
    Always purchase the extra sig confirmation regardless of what the PO clerk says. Often times the mailman will just drop off an insured package without someone signing.
  • Options
    Only took three months but I received a email today saying that the chargeback was dropped and I received my money back.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    Great news!
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

<< <i>Only took three months but I received a email today saying that the chargeback was dropped and I received my money back. >>

Best news I heard all day..... congrats.
  • Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on winning your case even though it took a long time. I had some two recent chargebacks, but I won my Paypal cases once the package tracking showed delivered to the buyer.

I just wanted to add to this thread for these two bank charge backs that I had in the last 4 months for cards that I sold on ebay valued from $400-$500. For both cases, the buyer purchased the item, and then later a case was opened on paypal stating that the credit card company received an unauthorized transaction request from the buyer. I had messaged the buyer in both cases before a case was even logged, and they never responded. (For one buyer, the package was at the post office waiting to be picked up for a long time, so I reminded the buyer it was still at the Post Office for them. For the other one, the buyer had very low feedback, so I sent them a message letting them know when I shipped the package.) The ebay id's for the buyers were: pirateron and cowdecal11