Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Book opinion: Coins of Lithuania 1386-2009. A Catalogue

Hello. As I stated earlier I have been collecting 1925-1938 Lithuanian coins in high mint state.
I am putting away sets for each of my four sons and myself. This has not been easy as not a lot
are graded I assume due to low popularity. I prefer graded because I know they can not be
handled improperly as well as confirming my evaluation of the coin.
My question is I see collecting the older coins as a natural extension . I found a book Coins of Lithuania 1386-2009. A catalogue.
It seems it would be a tremendous source of information but seems it would cost more then many of my coins.
Does anyone here have knowledge of this book ? It would seem a good investment if
I am to seek out these coins.

edit to add:
I just checked a currency converter. I assumed the U.S.dollar weak and LTL 350 would be around $500 U.S.
my mistake . It is the other way around LTL 350 is only about $150 U.S.
A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Since the book was produced in 1999,I think your money would be better spent buying the Krause texts covering the 1600-present.

Try this for 1386-1707 LINK
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    I collect Latvian currency (1915-1940) and there has been a dramatic increase in available very good information on Baltic numismatics since the 1990s. I don't know this book specifically, but did poke around a bit and it appears to be a complete and well illustrated definitive catalogue through 2009. One reveiw suggested it was a limited printing as well, which makes it more desirable if true. You're not likely to really get anything comparable from the Krause cats altho, despite their well known limitations, those are great to have too if you collect other areas). I've spent a lot more than $140 (at current FX) than this on single books in my library and my sense/suggestion would be to take the plunge and buy the thing if you're at all serious about this series. And by actually buying one you support/encourage further research and perhaps gain some contacts. Can't speak to the suggested download, but have always figured that you can't have enough information.

Do report back on your opinion of the references' value if you purse either/both of them.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    While I am not familiar with this particular book, I heartily recommend buying available literature that focuses on your area of interest. The insights you gain from a great or even good book on your specialty can dramatically enhance your knowledge and appreciation of your collecting. Morever, if you have several sources of information on your area of interest you will often find seeming disparities between the sources that, upon further research, yield some truly valuable insights.

If you decide to obtain it, I would be interested in your review of the book.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    If you don't know much about Lit coins of those centuries, then buy the book and you will learn a lot. If you have a good understanding of coins from those era, and are simply looking for a price guide, you might be better off doing some [free] internet searches in auction archives and auction catalogs. So I guess it depends if you want some history or some market values. The only reason I don't suggest the catalog for market research is because it's from 2009 (i.o., outdated).
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're an ANA member, and if they have the book, you could borrow it through the mail, and then decide if you want to actually buy a copy for yourself.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    If you're an ANA member, and if they have the book, you could borrow it through the mail, and then decide if you want to actually buy a copy for yourself.

I've gotten numismatic books, some quite obscure, from my public library's interlibrary loan when I was trying to decide whether it was worthwhile to buy a book. I've gotten books this way from university and other specialty libraries so you may wish to try there too.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    Those are some very good ideas. I will look into them first.
    I most likely will buy the book. There is a lot to be learned
    and having the book handy when the mood strikes you
    is good. image
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JJ - Let us know what you think of the book. I might want a copy too.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    JerseyJoeJerseyJoe Posts: 460 ✭✭
    Well I did pick up the book in a trade with a fellow board member. Very nice hard cover book

with nice glossy paper stock. 500 copies were made including 100 numbered copies in

"Best quality paper. Mine is number 46.

It seems like a very good reference. Nice clear images of the coins at a 1:1 scale.

Not every entry includes a picture but most do and all have a brief description,

diameter, weight and rarity and some values.

The only thing I would of liked that is missing is translation of wording on coins.

The reason being is I know of one coin that the reverse legend translates to

"The gods look down and laugh." I believe this was satirical view of current

events in 1565.

Anyway if anyone feels this book has information they could use do not

to ask. I'll be happy to help.

And Mr.Eureka, and anyone else for that matter, if you still go to the Parsippany

coin show and would like to see it just let me know.

• Options
    A new catalog is available:
    Numbered:

Ordinary:
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I can understand the hesitancy to buy reference books for coins. When I was younger and even more broke than I am now, I really gagged on the idea of paying $70 for Krause individual volumes. Now that I am a little less broke it doesn't bother me so much. The irony here is that I love buying books. Without wanting to get into a huge argument about publishers making money or small numbers of these books selling, it is a shame that they have to be so high priced in general. It's a vicious cycle: people interested in the hobby want more knowledge, see the high prices and do without. If the prices weren't so high, more folks would buy them on an impulse. But since they are what they are, folks do not buy and the prices go ever higher.

I think library loans or finding homes for used books is my favorite option. I can't get into the cd versions of books because I stare at a computer screen enough as it is, even though they are priced much more modestly. I just know that I have seen books that I would like to have and read just for the sake of knowledge and maybe entering a new area of collecting but have then been put off by a $100 price tag.

Check your local resellers/internet is my advice. I've found some great reference books I desperately needed at a fraction of their new price. Plus, I like the idea of a book being taken in by me rather than thrown away.