Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Looking for Help with Canadian Coinage

TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
Howdy folks.

I do not participate that much in this section of the boards, but I've always loved Canadian coinage my question revolves around information on Canadian coinage. I have been searching the web for any site that may have compiled auction archives for Canadian coinage as well as realistic values and mintages. I don't have a specific coin in mind, but have always liked the Canadian designs for pre-1960 or so circulating coinage and would like to learn much more before buying any pieces.

So...might anyone be able to recommend good, printed material for me to read as well as any internet sites that might provide information? Ideally, there might be something like the PCGS CoinFacts for Canadian coinage, but I doubt that exists. Thank you!
Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Red Book of Canadian coinage is Charlton Standard Catalogue Canadian Coins which is a good start.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    I would recommend the Canadiancoppercoins website and the Coinsand Canada site. There may be someone coming on who can fill you in on auction results and pops.
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://coinsandcanada.com/index.php

Try the above site for current values. A subscription to the Canadian Coin News would also be helpful.

http://canadiancoinnews.ca/

Edited to add another website, a popular forum:

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=32

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charlton is a good source for mintage figures and in some editions, die pairings and varieties.

Check auction results for Canadian coins can be researched by date on the Heritage website

There are some terrific Canadian coins that seem to be overlooked

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Check auction results for Canadian coins can be researched by date on the Heritage website
    >>

Agreed - I know of no other site that makes their archives public. There used to be an "ASHRAP" yearly report for certified Canadian coins sold on eBay. But I haven't seen it in a couple of years now.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Canadian coppercoins is the place for you to get pretty well most infos you would ever want.
    there are a few expertrs there, lyke for example "SYL" I. e. bill in burl.
    few collectrors know more about Canadian large cents than he does... ( Bill, I said Few)
    he probably can look at well over 5000 large cents and find pretty well any large cent one would want to describe.
    there are other guys there with tons of knowledge of Canadian Queen Victoria coins, 5 cent, 10 cent to 50 cent.
    try it.. you like it...
    h
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    The guy that does "ASHRAP" still collects all the data, but then gives it to Charlton, under a previous arrangement. He no longer furnishes the data or sells the report to the public. In my previuos post, I forgot to recommend a subscription to Canadian Coin News, a biweekly with 4-6 pages of"Trends". They always furnish the complete data for all historical circulating coin data, and then each issue rotate publishing NCLT, banknotes, tokens, etc. Each yearly issue of Charlton's has a 70-100 page addition with recognized varieties for a different denomination and priced. The Canadian Numismatic Journal is also a good pub for general Canadian info and is available electronically.
  • Options
    Tom, since I know you are a fan of crusty, dirty original U. S. coins here is a Canadian equivalent - crust is alive and well on the greyside as well!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin and the Victorian quarters are so attractive with this look. unfortunately, they are tough to find like this

Well done

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice 1892!

I sincerely appreciate all the help extended in this thread and will follow up and read. Thank you all.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Tom let us know when you finally make the plunge.
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    James Haxby's Guide Book of Canadian Coins and Tokens won an
    "Extraordinary Merit" award from the Numismatic Literary Guild. It's
    illustrated in full color.

From the Whitman Publishing description:

This is the "Red Book" of Canadian coins, a new reference authored by
    expert numismatist James Haxby. It covers every Canadian and provincial
    coinage and token series from colonial times to the present day, plus bullion,
    commemoratives, varieties, errors, and others. Auction records, historical
    information, and many more valuable features make this book a must-have
    for any collector. Hardcover, 464 Pages, 6x9 inches.