Home Sports Talk
Options

No threads yet about the Winter Olympics

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Sort of like Brigadoon. Kind of pops up every four years than disappears.

Comments

• Options
    I enjoy the men's and woman's downhill. That is mostly it.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    My favorite event is the closing ceremony-not that I will watch it.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Curling is a very under-rated sport.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>Curling is a very under-rated sport. >>

I used to enjoy watching Curling as a kid in Detroit. We picked it up on the nearby Windsor Ontario station.

More like bowling though than a real Olympic type sport.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if Detroit sponsers a "midnight curling league" to help keep its youth off the streets at night so that they do not have too much time on their hands?

BTW, I agree that the winter Olympics is sort of like Brigadoon. Once the Winter and Summer Games were taken off of the same 4 year cycle, the Winter Games, at least for me, dropped off of the radar screen. I like some of the skiing events and hockey, but most of the others I have little interest in.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I just don't get too excited about the winter Olympics.
  • Options
    I did like the old system with both the Summer and Winter the same year. Should have not be that big of an organizational hardship as two different cities are always used.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    If my memory serves, didn't they get rid of wrestling? I know that's a Summer sport, but somebody mentioned curling and it reminded me ... there was a fairly heated debate about getting rid of wrestling (which is arguably one of the pillars of the Olympics) as opposed to more peripheral sports (like curling, snowboarding, white water rafting, etc)
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The winter games are pretty boring.
  • Options
    There should be a sport added related to post editing - especiially the titles - after there are replies and such - anyone reading the string who comes in a week later will have no idea. image
  • Options
    I'll be watching some of the figure-skating. I'm especially interested in seeing how Ashley Wagner does. I actually got to meet her at a local rink last month. Go Ashley!!
  • Options

<< <i>I'll be watching some of the figure-skating. I'm especially interested in seeing how Ashley Wagner does. I actually got to meet her at a local rink last month. Go Ashley!! >>

Cool, now I have someone to cheer for. How did you happen to meet her?

• Options
    MGLICKER,

I met Ashley at a fundraiser supporting relief for the Philippines typhoon. It was in Anaheim, CA. She was really nice, and I got a few pics and a little chance to talk to her. It was pretty amazing watching her skate up-close. Surprisingly, the rink was only moderately busy! image
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    My prediction is this will be a weak year for Team USA. Doesn't seem like there's a lot of buzz heading in to this olympiad.

I attended the last two Olympics (2010, 2012) but it is very, very unlikely I will make it to Sochi. It's a region that's hard to get to from the U.S. and the other logistics (visas, etc.) are just too much of a hassle.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"