Home Sports Talk

January 2014 SMR with Derrick Rose on the cover - Why they do that ?

SMR jinx ?

Comments

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    I like the Wings. The football team, not so much.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He cries like a girl though a lot when he don't have the film, like his coach. >>

eye roll

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brady is a fierce competitor. He is a highly skilled QB. No doubt he is an elite QB. But until he wins a Super Bowl without cheating I will think of him as a great QB like I think of Mark McGwire as a great slugger.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>He cries like a girl though a lot when he don't have the film, like his coach. >>

eye roll >>

^^^^^^

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>Brady is a fierce competitor. He is a highly skilled QB. No doubt he is an elite QB. But until he wins a Super Bowl without cheating I will think of him as a great QB like I think of Mark McGwire as a great slugger. >>

I love people equating film to PEDs. How delightfully naive of you.
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Brady is a fierce competitor. He is a highly skilled QB. No doubt he is an elite QB. But until he wins a Super Bowl without cheating I will think of him as a great QB like I think of Mark McGwire as a great slugger. >>

I love people equating film to PEDs. How delightfully naive of you. >>

I guess a better comparison would be knowing the catcher's signs during a game.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With PEDs it seems everyone was doing them. The advantage was negated because of this, it simply made the stats go haywire. With Spygate only one team was cheating, everyone else played by the rules. Big advantage to the Pats. There are great QBs with only one or no Super Bowl Championships. Without cheating Brady has Zero.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

<< <i>With PEDs it seems everyone was doing them. The advantage was negated because of this, it simply made the stats go haywire. With Spygate only one team was cheating, everyone else played by the rules. Big advantage to the Pats. There are great QBs with only one or no Super Bowl Championships. Without cheating Brady has Zero. >>

If there was a way to cheat with a spygate scenario...I'm pretty sure that other NFL teams were dabbling as well, or at least walking the slippery slope.
  • lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Brick,

With PEDs it seems everyone was doing them. The advantage was negated because of this, it simply made the stats go haywire

If that was true, wouldn't the pitcher's enhanced strength/performance negate the hitter's perceived advantage, thus keeping statistics status quo?

<< <i>With PEDs it seems everyone was doing them. The advantage was negated because of this, it simply made the stats go haywire. With Spygate only one team was cheating, everyone else played by the rules. Big advantage to the Pats. There are great QBs with only one or no Super Bowl Championships. Without cheating Brady has Zero. >>

First, you think that only the Patriots did this? Again, your naivete is cute, albeit misplaced. If the Patriots were able to gain an advantage doing this, suggesting they were the only team to do it is hilariously out of touch. Second, you think this took place across multiple years? Finally, your assumption that Brady's Pats wouldn't have been able to win without extra video help is just that - an assumption.
    Patriots name and logo needs to be changed. Insult to those who founded our nation.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If that was true, wouldn't the pitcher's enhanced strength/performance negate the hitter's perceived advantage, thus keeping statistics status quo? >>

No. Pitchers will still make mistakes - the roid effect is that the pitcher mistakes were punished more than normal.

Also, some pitchers very obviously did benefit from roids - Roger Clemens and Andy Pettite, to name two.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>First, you think that only the Patriots did this? Again, your naivete is cute, albeit misplaced. If the Patriots were able to gain an advantage doing this, suggesting they were the only team to do it is hilariously out of touch. Second, you think this took place across multiple years? Finally, your assumption that Brady's Pats wouldn't have been able to win without extra video help is just that - an assumption. >>

The Patriots have admitted that they videotaped signals across multiple years, starting in 2000 and continuing until the time they were caught.

The Denver Broncos, deciding the Patriots shouldn't suffer alone, then videotaped other teams in 2010. The link there is that the guy who did it for the Broncos had been one of the guys doing the taping for the Patriots. He got a lifetime ban from the NFL.

<< <i>Patriots name and logo needs to be changed. Insult to those who founded our nation. >>

The most ridiculas statement ever typed in CU history.

How dare you mention this countrys forefathers and minutemen who died for this Countrys freedom in reference to the NFL. You are ignorant and classless.

Please go back to using your original name here or just STFU like CU told you to when they prohibited you from posting in the first place.
    At the end of every conversation the New England Patriots have 3 - COUNT THEM THREE Super Bowl wins, too bad if any of you think they cheated or not.

3 time champs for you to chew on when talking about the Patriots image

<< <i>

<< <i>Patriots name and logo needs to be changed. Insult to those who founded our nation. >>

How dare you mention this countrys forefathers and minutemen who died for this Countrys freedom in reference to the NFL. You are ignorant and classless.

Please go back to using your original name here or just STFU like CU told you to when they prohibited you from posting in the first place. >>

It was a jab at the folks that want to get rid of the Redskins logo. Is this better. imageimageimage

Much of the freedom that they fought for was the right to free speech, whether it passes your litmus test or not.

Never been banned from the CU forum. I follow the Willis rules, how about you?

<< <i>

. >>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Please go back to using your original name here or just STFU like CU told you to when they prohibited you from posting in the first place. >>

It was a jab at the folks that want to get rid of the Redskins logo. Is this better. imageimageimage

Much of the freedom that they fought for was the right to free speech, whether it passes your litmus test or not.

Never been banned from the CU forum. I follow the Willis rules, how about you? >>

After reading your other thread about being at a Cowboy game back in '69 I edited my post, I thought you were someone else.

My apoligies on that, and Im in agreement that the Redskins name should stay.

Your entitled to your opinion of the Patriots even though the thought that they didnt win those Super Bowls fairly iritates me. However I will bask in the glory of those 3 wins.
    Thank you for the update, perkdog. On the list of unsavory acts, I have the spy incident low on the totem pole (oops), on par with stuff like Derek Jeter faking that he was hit by a pitch. Not a big deal.

I have never been a Pats fan, though Brady played at Michigan, but I admire their ability to be remain competitive each season for over a decade.

<< <i>Thank you for the update, perkdog. On the list of unsavory acts, I have the spy incident low on the totem pole (oops), on par with stuff like Derek Jeter faking that he was hit by a pitch. Not a big deal.

I have never been a Pats fan, though Brady played at Michigan, but I admire their ability to be remain competitive each season for over a decade. >>

Good enough for me image
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Never been banned from the CU forum. I follow the Willis rules, how about you? >>

After reading your other thread about being at a Cowboy game back in '69 I edited my post, I thought you were someone else.

My apoligies on that, and Im in agreement that the Redskins name should stay.

Your entitled to your opinion of the Patriots even though the thought that they didnt win those Super Bowls fairly iritates me. However I will bask in the glory of those 3 wins. >>

Paul , very nice comeback , if I might say.

PS--- Go Ravens !!!!! ------- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell

• << <i>Brady is a fierce competitor. He is a highly skilled QB. No doubt he is an elite QB. But until he wins a Super Bowl without cheating I will think of him as a great QB like I think of Mark McGwire as a great slugger. >>

Reality speaks.
    After debating lately on how Terry Bradshaw probably had the easiest situation(best teammates) to win championships...I would have to say that Tom Brady is on the opposite end of that spectrum.

Now if you want to talk about giving a QB lots of credit for winning, ya have Tom Brady.

If I were to choose one QB who had the worst offensive surrounding cast, and who managed to win multiple Super Bowls, I would have to go with Tom Brady.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate the Pats but even I would not say that "spygate" negates the championships.

Frankly, if it weren't for a couple plays (literally), they'd have two more rings by now anyway.

But they suck.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am very surprised that nobody on the forums has posted a thread or a reply that points out that the name "Patriots" is so offensive, vile and unacceptable to a segment of society ("Royalists"?) that the only acceptable course of action would be to have the owner of the team to immediately change the name, hold a press conference to publicly apologize for the pain the name "Patriots" has caused those who are offended and donate millions of dollars to the non profit advocacy group who took it upon itself to take up the cause of social justice in seeking the changing of the team name.

Where are all of the forum activists? They must be occupied with other similar important causes.

If they wake up and realize the peril the name "Patriots" poses I am sure action will be taken by them to protect us from the horrible and antiquated, repressive and evil ideas and concepts that are encompassed by the name. All such action will be taken to protect those who can not protect themselves, including "the children".image
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am very surprised that nobody on the forums has posted a thread or a reply that points out that the name "Patriots" is so offensive, vile and unacceptable to a segment of society ("Royalists"?) that the only acceptable course of action would be to have the owner of the team to immediately change the name, hold a press conference to publicly apologize for the pain the name "Patriots" has caused those who are offended and donate millions of dollars to the non profit advocacy group who took it upon itself to take up the cause of social justice in seeking the changing of the team name.

Where are all of the forum activists? They must be occupied with other similar important causes.

If they wake up and realize the peril the name "Patriots" poses I am sure action will be taken by them to protect us from the horrible and antiquated, repressive and evil ideas and concepts that are encompassed by the name. All such action will be taken to protect those who can not protect themselves, including "the children".image >>

You're no Jonathan Swift, that much is certain.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

• << <i>Brady is a fierce competitor. He is a highly skilled QB. No doubt he is an elite QB. But until he wins a Super Bowl without cheating I will think of him as a great QB like I think of Mark McGwire as a great slugger. >>

If filming opponents is worth three Super Bowls and only costs one draft pick, why aren't other teams doing it?

<< <i>

If filming opponents is worth three Super Bowls and only costs one draft pick, why aren't other teams doing it? >>

They are

• << <i>After debating lately on how Terry Bradshaw probably had the easiest situation(best teammates) to win championships...I would have to say that Tom Brady is on the opposite end of that spectrum.

Now if you want to talk about giving a QB lots of credit for winning, ya have Tom Brady.

If I were to choose one QB who had the worst offensive surrounding cast, and who managed to win multiple Super Bowls, I would have to go with Tom Brady. >>

Dude, you are so delusional, I laugh out loud everytime I read your posts. The year Brady was injured, the Patriots went 11-5.
    Soundgard calling someone delusional is the height of irony.

I find it insulting that someone is trying to marginalize the argument around the racist term 'Redskin' by ironically calling for the name change of the Patriots. Nice work in further proving how either racially insensitive you are or outright racist.

• << <i>Soundgard calling someone delusional is the height of irony.

I find it insulting that someone is trying to marginalize the argument around the racist term 'Redskin' by ironically calling for the name change of the Patriots. Nice work in further proving how either racially insensitive you are or outright racist. >>

wow

• << <i>Soundgard calling someone delusional is the height of irony.

I find it insulting that someone is trying to marginalize the argument around the racist term 'Redskin' by ironically calling for the name change of the Patriots. Nice work in further proving how either racially insensitive you are or outright racist. >>

Whos calling out for a name change? That's stupid.
  • shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I find it insulting that someone is trying to marginalize the argument around the racist term 'Redskin' by ironically calling for the name change of the Patriots. Nice work in further proving how either racially insensitive you are or outright racist. >>

Actually, I've often wondered if any British people are somewhat offended when we send The Patriots over to The U.K. to play American football. It could easily be construed as kind of a "slap in the face" or insulting to any English person who may have had a relative die in the war, or maybe is sensitive about their Countries history with America.

It's hard to imagine a proud Englishman cheering for the Pat Patriot mascot, who's a Revolutionary soldier of The Continental Army, running around with a huge American Flag.

"Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
    I would assume (you know those dangers about assuming) a Brit would find the Patriot logo infinitely less offensive than a Native American does the racist term 'Redskin' or any of the Native American mascots/logos.

<< <i>

<< <i>After debating lately on how Terry Bradshaw probably had the easiest situation(best teammates) to win championships...I would have to say that Tom Brady is on the opposite end of that spectrum.

If I were to choose one QB who had the worst offensive surrounding cast, and who managed to win multiple Super Bowls, I would have to go with Tom Brady. >>

Dude, you are so delusional, I laugh out loud everytime I read your posts. The year Brady was injured, the Patriots went 11-5. >>

Soundgard, considering you have never had an original or coherent thought, and that all your 'answers' are from searching "Yahoo Answers", your words carry very little weight.

However, ANYTIME you want to play the game, I am always ready to go image Lets see if you can back up what you say image

I do apologize for knocking your hero down a few pegs. Don't worry though, the sporting world is full of other guys you can use to build your self esteem back up.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I do apologize for knocking your hero down a few pegs. >>

In what World?
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those Buffalo Bills sure were something alright. They set a record that will NEVER be broken. Losing 4 SB's in a row.image

2 of them to the Cowboys....all 4 to the NFC East!image

<< <i> Nice work in further proving how either racially insensitive you are or outright racist. >>

Now the left has subcategories?

• << <i>Those Buffalo Bills sure were something alright. They set a record that will NEVER be broken. Losing 4 SB's in a row.image

2 of them to the Cowboys....all 4 to the NFC East!image >>

I have lived with 'Boy I Live Losing Superbowls' (BILLS) for 20 years now - must admit - quite the sports bar discussion experiences these last twenty years when there are broncos, cowboys, redskins WELL OK I ADMIT IT - ANY other football team included in the discussion - You should see the other guy !

<< <i>

I do apologize for knocking your hero down a few pegs. >>

In what World? >>

This world, and every other world on Stephen Hawking's 'radar'.