Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Resource for Medals?

I've become familiar with many resources for researching coins of most countries, but have not pursued medals to any extent.

Is there a definitive work (book) or web resource on medals of Europe or Spain in particular that you would recommend? I've seen mention of what might be a book from which "VQ" numbers are referenced (such as "this medal is identified as VQ-XXXXX"). Any idea what book that would be?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    Here's a link to an extensive, albeit not exhaustive, list of medal books to get you started:

Medal Books Laundry List
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    Thank you for these references! I'll dig in and see what I can find.
  • Options
    As a thanks for your help and hopefully to be of some use to others I thought I'd share what I found.

In searching out references on medals (non-military) of Spain I found only two:

Catálogo De La Colección De Monedas Y Medallas by Manuel Vidal Quadras Y Ramón De Barcelona. Originally issued as 4 volumes in 1892. Black & White reprints are available, but appear to vary in quality and completeness. The online version I found contained only textual descriptions. Written in Spanish. VQ numbers refer to items listed in this catalog.

Medallas de Proclamaciones y Juras de los Reyes de Espana by Adol​fo Herr​era. Hardcover 1978 Reprint of 1882 original work. 284 pages with plates and value guide. Written in Spanish.

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will find some very interesting medals of Geronimo Gil, if Spanish medals are your interest.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I'm subscribing to this thread. I've got a big crate of medals which I inherited and have yet to unload. Identifying via catalog is always a good first step.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great question with some terrific responses.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    In response to an inquiry on a Vives reference I found, Stack's Bowers was very kind to inform me of another book on medals of Spain: Medallas de la Casa de Borbon de D. Amadeo I, del Gobierno Provisional y de la Republica Espanola by D. Antonio Vives. The title implies this could be a more comprehensive resource, but it has thus far proven very hard to find.

I'm also checking into the medallic artist harasha mentioned.

Thanks!
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In response to an inquiry on a Vives reference I found, Stack's Bowers was very kind to inform me of another book on medals of Spain: Medallas de la Casa de Borbon de D. Amadeo I, del Gobierno Provisional y de la Republica Espanola by D. Antonio Vives. The title implies this could be a more comprehensive resource, but it has thus far proven very hard to find. >>

There appears to be a reprint of this book available from the Italian company Forni: http://www.fornieditore.com/Item.aspx?id=804&p=0

Note: I have not purchased from them before and have no experience with them, so there is no endorsement, implicit or otherwise, implied.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just recently came across another Louis Rosenthal medal-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... from the Italian company Forni >>

That figures. Italian company is the only source for a Spanish book image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Thanks for the tip Iosephus! I'll have a look.