Home Sports Talk
Options

MLB Rules Committee approves ban on home-plate collisions.

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Too many dresses getting torn I suppose.

Yeesh.

Comments

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    The wussification of the country continues.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Too many dresses getting torn I suppose.

Yeesh. >>

Please share that sentiment with a woman who just went through childbirth- I'm sure she'd love it.
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>Too many dresses getting torn I suppose.

Yeesh. >>

I love the armchair QBs who expect players to go out there and get injured for their amusement and entertainment, then when rules are changed to protect those players, paint it as the 'wussification' or 'feminization' of the game. I wonder if you same clowns would also call all minor league players playing in a 'wussified' sport - after all, these plays at the plate have been banned in all levels of baseball save the pros for years. You going to go call some minor leaguer a dress wearer? I didn't think so.

Eliminating these plays at the plate (which are NOT baseball plays) will not change the game at all. Suggesting that it's going to alter the game in some way is just an overreacting, mouth breathing Neanderthal who thinks 'violence good! safety bad!'

A baserunner seeking out and plowing over a catcher is NOT baseball. If you want to keep this in baseball, then I am sure you should also call for the reinstating of being able to slide into bases with your spikes up to injure the defender, as they are the same thing - a non-baseball play, meant to injure a member of the opposing team.

This change is long overdue, and can't be implemented soon enough.
  • Options

<< <i>A baserunner seeking out and plowing over a catcher is NOT baseball. If you want to keep this in baseball, then I am sure you should also call for the reinstating of being able to slide into bases with your spikes up to injure the defender, as they are the same thing >>

So the runner is not entitled to a clear run down the base path? You equate that to spiking a defender?

Maybe we should just let the ladies play the game on video instead of grass and dirt. It would certainly reduce injuries.
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a fan of the change. One of the most exciting plays in baseball is the throw home to get a runner. Its been a part of the game forever, and you can count the number of serious injuries caused by it on a hand or 2.

Are there also going to be penalties for catchers who block the plate? If a catcher is blocking the plate, then the umpire should have to call the runner safe since the runner is no longer allowed to run over the catcher to get to the plate, and the runner has the right to the base. Also this will not prevent injuries. Catchers are still going to get injured because now runners will be sliding into home plate. These slides will take out the legs of the catchers and possibly cause more leg injuries to catchers. Catchers will be getting injured by the slides and the spikes coming at them first.

Also heres a few quotes. One by Ray Fosse and the other by Alex Avila. Both catchers, and Id say that catchers in the league should be the ones having the say on this matter.

Ray Fosse when asked whether collisions should be banned, "No rule change."

Alex Avila after being knocked down by David Ross in the 2013 ALCS: ""I've been hit a bunch of times. I've never seen anything wrong with it. It's part of the game. You do what you can as a catcher to protect yourself -- and I have over my career -- but sometimes you can't and you have to deal with it."

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Not a fan of the change. One of the most exciting plays in baseball is the throw home to get a runner. Its been a part of the game forever, and you can count the number of serious injuries caused by it on a hand or 2. >>

They're still going to be plays at the plate.

Here's one that didn't need a collision to be exciting.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    One thing that doesn't make sense to me is that if the rules committee is intent on trying to keep players healthy, then why doesn't the rules committee make
    stricter fines/punishments for pitchers that deliberately throw at hitters ?

Pitchers should only be allowed to hit one batter a game. If they hit two, they should get an automatic trip to the minors for 10 days of working on their control, plus
    loss of pay for 2 pitching starts.

If they were really looking at player safety, then pitchers would certainly be more careful if they knew they were going to miss 2 days pay, which is about $300,000 for some pitchers.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All this does is remind everyone that the rules for the other three bases also apply to home. Fielders in possession of the ball can block third base - happens all the time but you don't see collisions there, do you? Same deal here.

And this play has hardly"been a part of baseball forever". In fact, such collisions basically never happened before 1970.

To those advocating that collisions remain legal, please explain why ARod smacking the ball out of the glove was illegal but flying shoulder tackles into catches shouldn't be.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Ironically, one of the 20 best MLB games of the last 50 years (on MLB network) was the 2003 Marlins Giants playoff game that had a series ending play at the plate between J.T. Snow and Pudge Rodriguez.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dumb rule. Having played the position I can say that it was the play I coveted the most. I guess at least 95% of major league catchers feel the same way. I'm note a Pete Rose fan but he nailed this one.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very bad rule if it goes in. The runner has a right to the base (unless it's a force out)....if the catcher chooses to block the plate....well then the game is on!!
  • Options
    According to the new rules...

• Catchers will not be allowed to block home plate.
    • Runners will not be permitted to target the catchers.
    • The question of whether or not the plate was blocked or the runner targeted the catcher will be reviewable, with an immediate remedy available to the umpires.
    • Catchers or runners who violate the new rules will be subject to disciplinary action.

• Options
    So, it makes me wonder...

What happens if a catcher blocks the plate AND the runner targets the catcher?

• Options

<< <i>

To those advocating that collisions remain legal, please explain why ARod smacking the ball out of the glove was illegal but flying shoulder tackles into catches shouldn't be. >>

Because people hate arod, plain and simple and anything that allows them to mock him in a pathetic attempt to feel better about their lives they will do.

This is a great rule change and will bring MLB in line with all other levels of baseball.
  • Options
    I just hope this rule doesn't eventually trickle down to runners breaking up double plays at 2B....that's certainly a more frequent play, that I'd hate to see changed.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

To those advocating that collisions remain legal, please explain why ARod smacking the ball out of the glove was illegal but flying shoulder tackles into catches shouldn't be. >>

Because people hate arod, plain and simple and anything that allows them to mock him in a pathetic attempt to feel better about their lives they will do.

This is a great rule change and will bring MLB in line with all other levels of baseball. >>

Stick to Tee Ball

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

This is a great rule change and will bring MLB in line with all other levels of baseball. >>

Stick to Tee Ball

MJ >>

Yep, this is the major leagues. Not a sunday softball league. Contact in a sport isnt a bad thing.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys in favor of the rule change:

- Bruce Bochy
    - Mike Matheny
    - Johnny Bench

The NCAA rule, which is likely what the MLB version will be based on, allows collisions so long as the runner doesn't initiate contact above the waist. In other words, sliding and the like are still allowed, same as at any other base.
  • Options
    Yet more posturing by the arm chair QBs who think athletes are there to get injured for the amusement.

Collisions at the plate are not baseball plays. It's long past due they get removed from the game and it won't affect the game AT ALL no matter how much you wanna be jocks suggest otherwise.
  • Options
    Maybe the catcher should just stand 10 feet off the plate and just yell "your it" and the runner will be called out.

No injury risk there.
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe the catcher should just stand 10 feet off the plate and just yell "your it" and the runner will be called out.

No injury risk there. >>

Who's suggesting that? But allowing a football play in baseball has been ridiculous and it can't get outlawed fast enough. We don't allow runners at any other base to interfere with the defender, but we're supposed to think it's ok at home because it looks 'cool'?

No, this is rightfully going away, and will have no bearing on the game being tough or physical.