Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Two questions about MS70.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
1. Does anyone know what the chemical formulation is??
2. Does anyone know how long the product has been on the open market??

Thanks in advance.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if you can obtain the formula, but you might request a Material Safety Data Sheet, from which you can either see the components or a reasonable idea of what they are. The label says, "does not contain acid" but based on how slippery the stuff is when being rinsed off with water, my guess is that there is some free alkali in the formula.

Possibly some NaOH or KOH in the formula, but maybe some other surfactants as well.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The owner claimed you could drink it, however he never personally performed that party trick that I know of.
  • Options
    and the forum strikes again, that was quick!! any idea how long it's been around?? my earliest memory is sometime around 2003-4.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>and the forum strikes again, that was quick!! any idea how long it's been around?? my earliest memory is sometime around 2003-4. >>

I bought a bottle about that time (still have the same bottle) so I am guessing longer but I have no idea.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>and the forum strikes again, that was quick!! any idea how long it's been around?? my earliest memory is sometime around 2003-4. >>

Hey Al image

I still have my bottle I bought circa Nov 01 if I am not mistaken but the old brain has taken on a few cobwebsimage
    Hope You & Yours had a great Thanksgiving Old Friend.

Bill

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    Bill!! image man, I thought you fell off the planet, nice to see you post a little though I'm certain you have been lurking about.

to the MS70, am I correct in reading your reply as Nov. 2001?? if so that's the oldest so far.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Apparently, I've been buying MS64. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recall a B&M dealer/friend that passed on in 2001 talking about the stuff sometime around 2000 maybe earlier as a new product
    on the market.

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The owner claimed you could drink it ... >>

Definitely not a good idea. Per the MSDS ... "INGESTION: This product, if swallowed, can cause severe burns and complete tissue perforation of mucous membranes of the mouth, throat esophagus and stomach."
  • Options
    alkali burns the same as acid. any earlier date than 2000?? this is getting interesting. I would suppose that as a new product it underwent some development and "field testing" prior to public release.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1998 at the very least. Ironically, the friend who introduced me to MS70 insisted it contained NaOH, got that molecule in its pure form, and is equally satisfied. I've never tried it, but I've seen before and after and see no difference between the two results.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if the formulation has changed over the years.....my bottle is probably close to 10 yrs old, the fluid
    is and has always been kind of a light pink-tan.....the MSDS presented here was prepared in 2010, and states
    that the fluid is green.....

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

By the way, the INERT MATERIAL listed on the MSDS is actually just water (CAS# 7732-18-5).

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>Apparently, I've been buying MS64. image >>

now thats funny image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    Apparently, I've been buying MS64.

don't feel bad, Don, Marty was stuck with a bottle of AU58 for awhile. I think he finally dumped it down the sink!!image
  • Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Tuesday April 19, 2011 9:12 PM

The fella who makes and sells MS 70 has a PHD in Chemistry., and was a long time coin dealer on the wholesale level.
    He has an industrial cleaning supply business. . I Have spoken with him on more then several occassions and he is a great human being.
    He had a wholesale coin shop in the back of his industrial building. He is though, no longer in the coin business and He keeps a low profile. He used to do quite a wholesale business with many of the dealers you know and deal with. I've seen the stuff going out for shipment by the gallons. I always thought that much might be going to NCS but that was just my WAG. I used to buy my small bottles from him and they lasted a long time.

I use nitile gloves when using it as it will strip the oil out of your fingers. Follow his instructions and it will work great.
    I have never been able to find an MSDS on it.

Krueger

UPDATE: I think he recently sold the business. Not sure who owns or makes it it now. (Thanks for the MDS link)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file